Expiration of Passport

I am not an expert although I would think that the new passport will be good for 10 years and 9 months from the date of issue. Always assuming there was more than 9 months remaining on the old passport.

That sounds 100% correct nomad - can we appoint you as tutor for Yorkie.

(a thankless task, I agree).

That sounds 100% correct nomad - can we appoint you as tutor for Yorkie.

(a thankless task, I agree).

With all due respects I must decline your very kind offer to become Yorky's personal tutor. I honestly believe the task is too onerous and time consuming for one man, especially one with two young daughters to raise. I would like to nominate Eanto as a potential candidate for the job; a. because he has a little more time to spare and b. he likes to drink in The Office too.

With all due respects I must decline your very kind offer to become Yorky's personal tutor. I honestly believe the task is too onerous and time consuming for one man, especially one with two young daughters to raise. I would like to nominate Eanto as a potential candidate for the job; a. because he has a little more time to spare and b. he likes to drink in The Office too.

Good suggestion nomad but I fear it could be a case of the blind leading the partially sighted!

I think I've got it now.

If your passport is due to expire within the following 12 months of your visa extension expiring, then apply for a new passport, say, 6 - 8 weeks before your extension expires. Then, when you have your new passport, apply for a new extension and have the visa and other information transferred from the old passport at the same time.

QED really.

I think I've got it now.

If your passport is due to expire within the following 12 months of your visa extension expiring, then apply for a new passport, say, 6 - 8 weeks before your extension expires. Then, when you have your new passport, apply for a new extension and have the visa and other information transferred from the old passport at the same time.

QED really.

You are getting there.

I would actually renew immediately after my 3rd 90 day report - you lose nothing by being early.

You are getting there.

I would actually renew immediately after my 3rd 90 day report - you lose nothing by being early.

Well, you cannot apply for your new extension before 45 days prior to the old one expiring so you may then be carrying a passport without the correct documentation if you apply too early.

Well, you cannot apply for your new extension before 45 days prior to the old one expiring so you may then be carrying a passport without the correct documentation if you apply too early.

You have dropped the ball again Yorkie!

Nothing wrong in traveling/living with 2 passports. Your stamps can be transferred anytime to the new passport. The point here is that you don't need to transfer them all because the new extension and re-entry permit will go in the new passport.

If you travel anywhere between receiving the new passport and doing your extension you simply show immigration both passports.

(or as I did, travel to Cambodia on the 'cancelled' old passport)

You have dropped the ball again Yorkie!

Nothing wrong in traveling/living with 2 passports.

I lived/travelled with 2 passports for 20 years but they were both valid. I was of the opinion that once the new passport had been issued, the old one was cancelled and was then of no use. But we live and learn.

I lived/travelled with 2 passports for 20 years but they were both valid. I was of the opinion that once the new passport had been issued, the old one was cancelled and was then of no use. But we live and learn.

All visas that have not expired can remain with a cancelled passport. That would be the same with your proof of 90 day reporting, if it's got the old passport number on that report.

All visas that have not expired can remain with a cancelled passport. That would be the same with your proof of 90 day reporting, if it's got the old passport number on that report.

Just for information, a couple of years ago Old Colin flew from Bangkok to Phnom Phen with only one week left on his passport's validity. He blamed his senility and got away with it.

I did a Siam Reap trip with an expired passport and it caused no problems. It was not the case of some dirty dealings. I had a new passport but wanted to use up the remaining spaces in the old one first.

2010 was the first time that I've ever had to renew a passport. So obviously I'm a little naive in respect of the process. Prior to that, the company took responsibility for passport(s) renewal.

I am just reviving this thread as it deals specifically with passports.

I received my new passport in mid-February, using the excellent service provided by Thai Widows and Ex-pats. I decided to have the extension stamp transferred today, rather than waiting for my next 90 day report, as we will be going away for a few days holiday next week and I wanted everything up to date before travelling.

I arrived at KCI at 08h20 and sat down to wait, alone, for the Information desk to open at 08h30. The clerk in charge of that desk arrived at 08h30 and announced she was off to "kin khao" with the lady that fills out the huge ledgers in the main office. She returned at around 08h45, by which time there were two or three others awaiting her services. The usual Thai queuing system would have applied had I not asserted myself in a rather non-English manner to make sure I got in first. I completed the form she provided and was then sent over the road to get photocopies of the relevant pages of my old passport. I had already completed the form provided by the British Embassy with my new passport.

Then it was the ledger clerk, followed by the Officer who does the computer stuff and photos, followed by the signer-offer. That took us to 09h15. I also wanted a re-entry permit and had to start that process separately upon completion of the passport stamps. I left, both tasks successfully accomplished, at 09h55.

Passport stamp transfers clearly don't happen to us very often and so I thought it worth reporting here that it was free 0f charge and relatively painless. My only other thought was that I wish I had had a job, at some point in my life, where the first thing I did upon arrival was to go for breakfast!

Now, now, whatever next? Can't go to work on an empty stomach, against union rules you know. 555

My only other thought was that I wish I had had a job, at some point in my life, where the first thing I did upon arrival was to go for breakfast!

I would have thought JohnB, with all the free time that teachers (allegedly) enjoy. flexibility with eating would not be an issue. :mask:

I would have thought JohnB, with all the free time that teachers (allegedly) enjoy. flexibility with eating would not be an issue. :mask:
I am glad you added the allegedly in parentheses, Coco. As I am sure you know full well, these tales of teachers having lots of free time are as apocryphal as those of bank managers going off for a round of golf most afternoons.

I am glad you added the allegedly in parentheses, Coco. As I am sure you know full well, these tales of teachers having lots of free time are as apocryphal as those of bank managers going off for a round of golf most afternoons.

LOL.... :laughing:

I certainly tried to improve my knowledge by getting on as many courses as possible.

Back