25% of Si Sa Ket drivers drunk

gotlost

Kap Chong R Us Member
Breakingnews >

• Published: 28/12/2012 at 05:57 PM
  • Online news:
  • BK Post.

Nearly one-quarter of the drivers stopped at police checkpoints in Si Sa Ket province on Thursday were drunk, officials said on Friday.

A total of 1,844 people were charged with drunk driving on Thursday during inspections of about 7,500 vehicles, said the provincial office of the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation (DDPM).
Suksan Boontohsang, the chief of the provincial DDPM office, said that 1,713 people were arrested for not wearing motorcycle helmets and 3,935 were arrested for driving without licences.
During the busy New year travel season when accident risks increase, he said drivers and motorcyclists need to strictly follow the traffic laws.
People should rest immediately if they feel fatigued or drowsy, and should never drive under the influence of alcohol.

Breakingnews >

• Online news:
  • BK Post.

Nearly one-quarter of the drivers stopped at police checkpoints in Si Sa Ket province on Thursday were drunk, officials said on Friday.

A total of 1,844 people were charged with drunk driving on Thursday during inspections of about 7,500 vehicles, said the provincial office of the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation (DDPM).
Suksan Boontohsang, the chief of the provincial DDPM office, said that 1,713 people were arrested for not wearing motorcycle helmets and 3,935 were arrested for driving without licences.
During the busy New year travel season when accident risks increase, he said drivers and motorcyclists need to strictly follow the traffic laws.
People should rest immediately if they feel fatigued or drowsy, and should never drive under the influence of alcohol.

Surely those arrest figures would be incorrect. I can imagine the drivers affected by alcohol being arrested, but about 5,500 arrested for traffic violations..never!

Must be very busy at Si Sa Ket police station and jail!

Breakingnews >

• Online news:
  • BK Post.

I suspect 'arrested' includes 'stopped and fined'.

Presumably, if 25% were drunk, the other 75% didn't have licences. The discrepancy is made up by those who paid a bribe instead of a fine.

Wonderful news that this Police Department are being pro active in stopping these dickhead Thais who think drinking and driving is a right. I hope that the police here in Surin are likewise diligent. I don't give a fiddler's fart if these drunk arseholes are Thai or Farangs get these tosspots off the roads A.S.A.P. I especially want to see a no tolerance for the local Farangs as we are are suppose to know better. Don't drink and drive and expect any sympathy from myself should you fook up and get yourself arrested or perhaps worse.

Wonderful news that this Police Department are being pro active in stopping these dickhead Thais who think drinking and driving is a right. I hope that the police here in Surin are likewise diligent. I don't give a fiddler's fart if these drunk arseholes are Thai or Farangs get these tosspots off the roads A.S.A.P. I especially want to see a no tolerance for the local Farangs as we are are suppose to know better. Don't drink and drive and expect any sympathy from myself should you fook up and get yourself arrested or perhaps worse.

+ 1.
Its not like public transport is expensive FFS!

A total of 1,844 people were charged with drunk driving on Thursday

Only in Sisaket province?
WoW , that only shows how stupid 1844 people was on Thursday , for those who were "bright enough" to get away , good luck for the rest of the holidays! :cool:

Here's a novel idea that probably is too late to put into effect this New Year's Eve. Set up a network of Farang volunteers who do not drink but will be out and about, have transportation (a car/pickup would be better) and are available to drive those Farangs who have the good sense to call them for a ride home. Kinda like an Angel of Mercy thing. Post this on the Forum with the mobile numbers of those who volunteer and what hours they will be available for this. If it saves just one Farang from a DUI or an accident then it will have been worth it. Something to think about and put together.

When traveling in a group, we should all appoint a "designated driver" who will not drink alcohol. Take it in turns from one function to another.

I understand that it is now illegal for passengers to drink while being driven.

Here's a novel idea that probably is too late to put into effect this New Year's Eve. Set up a network of Farang volunteers who do not drink but will be out and about, have transportation (a car/pickup would be better) and are available to drive those Farangs who have the good sense to call them for a ride home. Kinda like an Angel of Mercy thing. Post this on the Forum with the mobile numbers of those who volunteer and what hours they will be available for this. If it saves just one Farang from a DUI or an accident then it will have been worth it. Something to think about and put together.

Good idea BUT .. dont you think it will be the same people who drink and the same people who drive every time?

Not in the least, however, I'm pretty sure you are correct that the same people who drink too excess will be the ones who might avail themselves of this type of service as that lot always stick to form regardless. The drivers will not always be the same due to limitations on their time and their patience with transporting the same lot over and over. The idea is basically a sound one but would need tweaking. I am only offering this as a suggestion for those times of year when the Farang community are out celebrating a common holiday not for when some guy gets too drunk on a regular basis. No saving them from themselves and their excesses.

Actually the police here and their boss are quite strict these days on drunk driving. All year round. They set up roadblocks all the time. I usually see them set up around midnight/1 a.m. in front of my place and they'll stop every car, truck and motocyke and be at it until 5 a.m. They also set up over the tracks from here nearly every night and breathalyze drivers.

Used to be farangs would be waved through the roadblocks up until a couple/few years ago. The last top cop saw a few farangs cause or being involved in drunk driving accidents and told his men to stop ALL drivers, including farangs. They are serious about it here in Surin, and rightly so. They do breathalyze drivers, and I've been stopped myself, know farangs who've been stopped (and busted) and think they are doing a good job of it here in Surin City.

Use a tuk tuk or taxi or designated non drinking driver. They will get you eventually if you drive drunk.

Mike

They will get you eventually if you drive drunk.

Mike

Yes , it´s only a matter of time .. been there done that ... in the "Old Country" that was but long time ago now! :cool:
Thats what i meant in my earlier post , those who got busted was stupid enough to drive and get caught but there´s alot more people who got away .. this time! :rolleyes:

Im the same as youCS. I was done 34years ago and learnt from it BEAN there, done that before.

Woke up early for some damn reason. Look outside out front and there they are, the Surin cops outside stopping all traffic looking for drunk drivers. It's 4:30 a.m. The Surin authorities are serious about this stuff and have been all year long, not just for the holidays. If you drive around Surin at night you will likely run into a DUI roadblock.

Mike

What I like about Surin is that the coppers always seem to set up in the same places at the same time for the same amount of time. I have learned now to use the back streets and side soi's to avoid them. Maybe takes me about ten minutes longer to get back to Ban Samed. After having a couple of Leo Yai's over the previous few hours I may not be drunk but if they have me blow into those breath analyzers I might show over the limit. By the way, what is the legal limit here in Thailand? Also do you really trust the results of these devices along with the ability of the Thai coppers to administer any test properly? You are at their mercy and only questioning them and their methods will ensure that they play hardball with you. No doubt that one should not be driving when impaired and if caught then suffer the consequences.

What I like about Surin is that the coppers always seem to set up in the same places at the same time for the same amount of time. I have learned now to use the back streets and side soi's to avoid them. Maybe takes me about ten minutes longer to get back to Ban Samed. After having a couple of Leo Yai's over the previous few hours I may not be drunk but if they have me blow into those breath analyzers I might show over the limit. By the way, what is the legal limit here in Thailand? Also do you really trust the results of these devices along with the ability of the Thai coppers to administer any test properly? You are at their mercy and only questioning them and their methods will ensure that they play hardball with you. No doubt that one should not be driving when impaired and if caught then suffer the consequences.

Legal limil in Thailand is .05%
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_alcohol_content

Back