30 day visa exemption stamp question

mahdam

Surin Founding Father
My son will be coming over to visit in early Feb next year for a couple of months.
When he arrives at Swampy he will be given a 30 day entry stamp.
At the end of his first 30 days we plan to cross into Cambodia at O'smach and tour around Cambodia for a couple of weeks. We intend to cross back into Thailand by road at Hat Lek. i believe they will then give him a 15 day stamp on entry, that will be enough for him before his flight back to the UK at the end of March.

Have i made any mistakes in my assumptions here? Or should we get him a double entry tourist visa before he leaves the UK?
Just worried they might question him at check in at LHR as his return flight will be for two months ahead.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry if this is bad news of a sort...

But it has always been my understanding that the 15 day extension only applies to "air arrivals".

And that "land crossings" are only given a 7 day extension.

Perhaps someone else can verify?

(If there's time, I'd always go for a proper tourist visa over the 30 day visa exempt entry. Saves all the question, and probably cheaper than the extension)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry if this is bad news of a sort...

But it has always been my understanding that the 15 day extension only applies to "air arrivals".

And that "land crossings" are only given a 7 day extension.

Perhaps someone else can verify?

(If there's time, I'd always go for a proper tourist visa over the 30 day visa exempt entry. Saves all the question, and probably cheaper than the extension)

Your information is totally incorrect.You receive 30 days by air and 15 days by land. You never get any extension at any land crossing only at an immigration office.

My son will be coming over to visit in early Feb next year for a couple of months.
When he arrives at Swampy he will be given a 30 day entry stamp.
At the end of his first 30 days we plan to cross into Cambodia at O'smach and tour around Cambodia for a couple of weeks. We intend to cross back into Thailand by road at Hat Lek. i believe they will then give him a 15 day stamp on entry, that will be enough for him before his flight back to the UK at the end of March.

Have i made any mistakes in my assumptions here? Or should we get him a double entry tourist visa before he leaves the UK?
Just worried they might question him at check in at LHR as his return flight will be for two months ahead.

Thanks in advance.

mahdam
Your thoughts are totally sound. When your son crosses back over he will receive a 15 day visa exempt entry. But he should have a return ticket when he checks in at LHR as by law they do not have to let him board the flight with out a proper visa. I suggest he applies for a 60 day tourist visa which he could extend for another 30 days. Also to keep his original 60 day visa intact when he goes to Cambodia he can purchase at Kap Choeng Immigration a single reentry permit for 1000 baht which eliminates the 15 day visa exempt at the boarder crossing.

mahdam
Your thoughts are totally sound. When your son crosses back over he will receive a 15 day visa exempt entry. But he should have a return ticket when he checks in at LHR as by law they do not have to let him board the flight with out a proper visa. I suggest he applies for a 60 day tourist visa which he could extend for another 30 days. Also to keep his original 60 day visa intact when he goes to Cambodia he can purchase at Kap Choeng Immigration a single reentry permit for 1000 baht which eliminates the 15 day visa exempt at the boarder crossing.

Whoa, whoa! Slow down.

Mahdams son is leaving London on a return ticket that sees him enter Thailand early in February and depart again towards the end of March.

There is absolutley no need for any visa (except for entry to Cambodia). 30 days on a visa not required basis, then a 15 day stamp back into Thailand to coincide with the return flight home. Very straight forward and well calculated by Mahdam.

It is not unusual (students for example) to have a 2 month return without any clear idea of their destination in between. A weekend in KL and back to Swampy would also give the effect of back to back VNR entries. A phone call to the airline would give 100% peace of mind.

Last edited:
Whoa, whoa! Slow down.

Mahdams son is leaving London on a return ticket that sees him enter Thailand early in February and depart again towards the end of March.

There is absolutley no need for any visa (except for entry to Cambodia). 30 days on a visa not required basis, then a 15 day stamp back into Thailand to coincide with the return flight home. Very straight forward and well calculated by Mahdam.

No where in his post does mahdams say that his son has a return ticket. If he does then he does not need a 60 day tourist visa and the 15 day entry will be good enough.

No where in his post does mahdams say that his son has a return ticket. If he does then he does not need a 60 day tourist visa and the 15 day entry will be good enough.

Read the post properly GL:- ThumbUp6

Read the post properly GL:- ThumbUp6

A double entry would be good for 4 to 6 months That is not needed. As I said if he has a return ticket he is OK BUT the OP does not state his.

A double entry would be good for 4 to 6 months That is not needed. As I said if he has a return ticket he is OK BUT the OP does not state his.

I know you are American David but I can't believe that you are struggling THAT much with the English language! The OP states CLEARLY that the return flight is at the end of March.....

I know you are American David but I can't believe that you are struggling THAT much with the English language! The OP states CLEARLY that the return flight is at the end of March.....[/QUOTE

Return flight but where is the return ticket? But the laws says...

Thai law contains an "onward ticket requirement," a rule which states that travelers entering Thailand without a pre-issued visa must have in their possession an airline or other ticket which they will use to leave the country within 30 days. Without the onward ticket (sometimes called a return ticket), travelers can be denied entry into Thailand.

So if that so called return is not within his 30 day window need to get a 60 day tourist visa.

And yes he does say early February and return late March. He needs a 60 day tourist visa to protect him.

Last edited:
I know you are American David but I can't believe that you are struggling THAT much with the English language! The OP states CLEARLY that the return flight is at the end of March.....

The only word to say now is "right-all-right."

I know you are American David but I can't believe that you are struggling THAT much with the English language! The OP states CLEARLY that the return flight is at the end of March.....[/QUOTE

Return flight but where is the return ticket? But the laws says...

Thai law contains an "onward ticket requirement," a rule which states that travelers entering Thailand without a pre-issued visa must have in their possession an airline or other ticket which they will use to leave the country within 30 days. Without the onward ticket (sometimes called a return ticket), travelers can be denied entry into Thailand.

So if that so called return is not within his 30 day window need to get a 60 day tourist visa.

And yes he does say early February and return late March. He needs a 60 day tourist visa to protect him.

Immigration is rarely the issue. In the HIGHLY unlikely event that he is asked at Swampy, the production of of hotel confirmations in Cambodia would support his itinerary.

The airline are the most important consideration in this matter and if they confirm all is OK I personally wouldn't bother paying for a Tourist Visa.

Immigration is rarely the issue. In the HIGHLY unlikely event that he is asked at Swampy, the production of of hotel confirmations in Cambodia would support his itinerary.

The airline are the most important consideration in this matter and if they confirm all is OK I personally wouldn't bother paying for a Tourist Visa.

I have to agree with you on this. I have been question about onward travel and visa for Thailand but they normally just glance and have no idea..BUT.....

I have to agree with you on this. I have been question about onward travel and visa for Thailand but they normally just glance and have no idea..BUT.....

Yes, that "BUT" could be important.

Personally, I doubt Mahdam's son will even be asked about onward plans. He will just be stamped in routinely for 30 days- as used to happen to me when I first used to visit Thailand.

It is down to personal choice in evaluating that "BUT" and I would just go with the flow (having maybe emailed the airline my travel itinerary to seek their confirmation that they will board me - this correspondence could be useful IF questioned at immigration). For me, it is not worth the effort and cost of getting a TV.

I would not fault anyone who thought differently if they believed that the cost/effort of obtaining a TV WAS worth it.

As an aside I have to say that the last 2 occasions I have traveled into Swampy I found the immigration officers to be generally "warmer" and I even received a smile in response to my "sawasdee khrap".

The last time I was questioned about ticket and visa was back in March when leaving Washington DC. I had to point out my extension for "Thai Wife".Airlines do check.

GL - as it is only you and I playing this game, consider this option:-

Buy a single ticket with Air Asia from DMK to PNH for, say, 3rd March. Evidence of onward travel - chai mai ?

Cost of which is 1,490 Baht.

Don't travel and after 3rd March claim back 920 Baht (airport charges and fees) - I think there is probably a small admin charge but you should recover at least 750 Baht.

BOOKING SUMMARY

Total THB

Bangkok - Don Mueang (DMK) to Phnom Penh (PNH)
Depart

FD2776
DMK
PNH

1625, 3 Mar 2014 1520, 3 Mar 2014
Fare

1 x 570.00 THB 1 Adult (s)

Taxes and Fees
920.00 THB Airport charges and fees
1,490.00 THB

Good option as I have recommend this to others But whats the cost of a single entry tourist visa good for 60 days at a Thai consulate or embassy in the UK ?=1000 baht.

Back