Choam Sa Ngam

Moo Ban

BANNED
I went to Chong Chom today via > Moo Ban > 2079 > Si Khoraphum > 2371 > Sangkha > 2283 Chong Chom which is about 95 K with OK roads and took me about an hour and a half . The parking was easy right a the boarder and with a very short walk to the Cambodia Immigration and back ......which is better than most border crossings I have been to .
The thing that pissed me off was the Cambodian IO's .They wont take Dollars ( which most of us know about ) and the 300 baht you have to pay if you don't stay overnight is one big rip-off.!! Any protest's I made just fell on deaf-ears :rage: I never had change and the Cambodian IO's were all rummaging around in there pockets looking for change of a 1000 baht note !!... which looked very professional :rolleyes:
I know is only 300 baht but if Choam Sa Ngam takes Dollars and doesn't try and scam you for 300 baht it may be worth it for me to travel the extra 35-40 k and go there instead. I could save myself 700-ish baht a trip !! Plus I've heard it quite a nice ride with some great views on the way to the boarder on the 2201
So does anyone have the latest information for the Choam Sa Ngam Border Crossing and the process compared with Chong Chom

Last edited:
I crossed the border (not the boarder) at Chong Chom three weeks ago and they accepted dollars (as CO-CO will verify). Or are you referring to Choam Sa Ngam border crossing?

I crossed the border (not the boarder) at Chong Chom three weeks ago and they accepted dollars (as CO-CO will verify). Or are you referring to Choam Sa Ngam border crossing?
What did you pay in Dollars and did you pay the 300 baht or did you staying in Cambodia for a few days

Paid US$35.00 and stayed 4 days.
Thats's the different. I do the trip every 3 month. 1800 Baht Cambodian Visa ( NO DOLLAR PLEASE ) oh you are living today, 300 Baht please. No argument. That's a rip of. Moo Ban is right. The only new thing is that they do the same now in Chong SamNgam.

Thats's the different. I do the trip every 3 month. 1800 Baht Cambodian Visa ( NO DOLLAR PLEASE ) oh you are living today, 300 Baht please. No argument. That's a rip of. Moo Ban is right. The only new thing is that they do the same now in Chong SamNgam.
Sounds like Chong Chom is the cheapest !!! :)
I thought it was the other way around :eek:

http://www.movetocambodia.com/planning-your-move-to-cambodia/cambodia-visas/

From the above link

At a land border crossing. You can also apply for a visa at the following Cambodia land border crossings:

Cambodia-Vietnam border

1. Bavet International checkpoint
2. Kha Orm Sam Nor International checkpoint

Cambodia-Thailand border

1. Cham Yeam International checkpoint
2. Poipet International checkpoint
3. O’Smach International checkpoint

This isn’t recommended, though, as getting visas at land border crossings in Cambodia is generally a hassle, requiring numerous bribes and payments. It’s best to get a visa in advance, before attempting a land crossing. If that’s not possible, don’t worry, but expect to pay between $1 and $20 in extra “fees”.

===============

Chong Chom isn't a hassle..in-fact it was about the easiest border crossing I've ever done ....so it sounds like 1800 all in is a bargain compared to others .......if you can pay with Dollars then even better :)

What did you pay in Dollars and did you pay the 300 baht or did you staying in Cambodia for a few days

We stayed 3 days and I primed everyone to have exactly $35 ready. This is a figure we agreed with Cambodian immigration for our tours. The published rate is $30. We had no issues.

The 300 Baht is a con but an even bigger one is 1,500 Baht vs $30 (or even $35).

That said, why should they even allow in out visa runs ?

By allowing such a convenience the overall cost of 1,800 Baht is not unreasonable.

Obviously, anyone staying full time in Thailand on an extension would not suffer these costs. The fact that Savannaket still issues marriage non-Imm 'O' visas does not make it the right way to stay in Thailand - it is only a 'loophole' for those staying full-time, and a diminishing one at that.

Staying full time in Thailand on an Multi O-Visas based on marriage is legal and these visas are issued world wide. Each Thai embassy may have different requirements to obtain one.

Cambodia visa is 30 USD or as of today 1053 baht. I do agree if you do a hop it will set you back 1800 baht. BFD

We stayed 3 days and I primed everyone to have exactly $35 ready. This is a figure we agreed with Cambodian immigration for our tours. The published rate is $30. We had no issues.
Yorky said be paid $35 and made it sound that this option was open for all but it sounds like it's a special arrangement for your tours and not generally available for everyone .I know many people that have tried to pay in Dollars but have always been denied. Maybe Yorky should try going to the border on his own and see how far he gets with his dollars !!!

The 300 Baht is a con but an even bigger one is 1,500 Baht vs $30 (or even $35).
And we all know the reason for that !!
I was speaking to a guy yesterday that says he pays 1300 and 100 by using a Cambodian Agent at the border and pays him 200, a saving of 200 baht.... Not a great saving but I guess it pays the petrol costs for the Honda Wave there and back.... lol

That said, why should they even allow in out visa runs ?
By allowing such a convenience the overall cost of 1,800 Baht is not unreasonable.

Why shouldn't they ,they are getting paid for the Visa's ,its not as if it's free like Malaysia .
I expected to pay those cost when I obtained my Non-Imm 'O' visas, I was just asking if Choam Sa Ngam was a cheaper option .Many people are on No -Imm O visa's and when I was working I had to leave the country every 90 days and so would many teacher or others who on a work permit that are on O visa's . The Cambodian Immigration know this and make some nice tea money out of it.

Obviously, anyone staying full time in Thailand on an extension would not suffer these costs. The fact that Savannaket still issues marriage non-Imm 'O' visas does not make it the right way to stay in Thailand - it is only a 'loophole' for those staying full-time, and a diminishing one at that
As I have pointed out on another thread the reason I changed over to a Marriage Non-Imm 'O' visas was because of the exchange rate , the cost of the visa and border runs are far less than the money I would lose by bringing over a lump sum at todays exchange rate compared to previous years . Yes it may be a loop-hole but at least it's a totally legal loop-hope compared to other options available from Visa agents and long may it last or until the exchange rates become more reasonable :)

Staying full time in Thailand on an Multi O-Visas based on marriage is legal and these visas are issued world wide. Each Thai embassy may have different requirements to obtain one.

Cambodia visa is 30 USD or as of today 1053 baht. I do agree if you do a hop it will set you back 1800 baht. BFD

I agree entirely that is legal.....................but inconsistent.

You cannot get a multiple entry Non-Imm O at any other neighbouring consulate nor in the UK.

I agree entirely that is legal.....................but inconsistent.

You cannot get a multiple entry Non-Imm O at any other neighbouring consulate nor in the UK.

Incorrect. In the UK. Non-Imm O can be had if your 65 or over from the Thai embassy in London. I have friends that are on them at this very moment.

I don't know how I made it sound like that. I just stated the facts.

If my mate had posted "I pay 1300 and 100 for my border crossing hops " he would has stated facts but unless you hear the whole story facts can be deceptive !!

If my mate had posted "I pay 1300 and 100 for my border crossing hops " he would has stated facts but unless you hear the whole story facts can be deceptive !!

I was responding to your comment "They wont take dollars". I wasn't aware that CO-CO had an arrangement.

Depending on your negotiating skills and luck:rolleyes: its has been reported that this service can be had for as little as 1200 baht.;)

Now you know why they did....don't you :)

I think it is important to differentiate between a border run and a genuine tourist visit.

I am sure that (with patience) anindividual tourist could stand there with $30 in their hand and insist/wait for a visa to be issued (I did this some years ago when it was $20). Certainly no reason to have Baht as they have left Thailand and they could, if pressed, say that is all they have in cash until they get to Siem Reap.

We decided this strategy was too high a risk when we had up to 24 people on our tours!

Back