Driving Licenses

right, plan is to visit local DLT tomorrow and ask what is needed for renewal of 2 DLs,

could ask re truck license at the same time, but my gut feeling is that truck license is better handled somewhere
out in the sticks rather than in central areas

right, plan is to visit local DLT tomorrow and ask what is needed for renewal of 2 DLs,

could ask re truck license at the same time, but my gut feeling is that truck license is better handled somewhere
out in the sticks rather than in central areas

I wouldn't exactly call Prasat the sticks but the battle axe that runs Surin DLT can be a bitch.:rolleyes::eek::D

I wouldn't exactly call Prasat the sticks but the battle axe that runs Surin DLT can be a bitch.:rolleyes::eek::D
I found a photo of her.
latest
She sits guarding the gates of hell.

Teerak was issued a new five year car licence today in Surin city to replace the two year temporary one. She got the medical certificate and all she then had to do was the colour perception test and forms/photo. 505 baht.

No reaction test or videos to watch. Also lucky she wasn’t asked to take the practical again! She suspects they’re a little swamped hence the short cutting of the procedure ?

26/11/19 Renewed 5 year drivers license Prasat DLT. Started process 9:50 AM, all three DLT officials were busy, two Ladies, one Man, took a few minutes for one of the ladies to collect my paperwork. They wanted Passport, Thai drivers license, Yellow House book, Pink ID card and copies of each (Just ID - photo page of the passport) Told me to come back at 1 PM to finish process. 10:30 AM went to Prasat for a little lunch & etc. Back at 1 PM for Thai language Video with English captions. After video Passed the 4 tests, reaction breaking reflex time, colorblindness, depth perception test and peripheral vision. Primitive testing equipment but effective. Left with the new drivers license about 4 PM.
Did not need medical certificate or other copies of the Passport pages I took with me. They put the number that's on my pink ID card on the drivers license, Not my passport number.

26/11/19 Renewed 5 year drivers license Prasat DLT. Started process 9:50 AM, all three DLT officials were busy, two Ladies, one Man, took a few minutes for one of the ladies to collect my paperwork. They wanted Passport, Thai drivers license, Yellow House book, Pink ID card and copies of each (Just ID - photo page of the passport) Told me to come back at 1 PM to finish process. 10:30 AM went to Prasat for a little lunch & etc. Back at 1 PM for Thai language Video with English captions. After video Passed the 4 tests, reaction breaking reflex time, colorblindness, depth perception test and peripheral vision. Primitive testing equipment but effective. Left with the new drivers license about 4 PM.
Did not need medical certificate or other copies of the Passport pages I took with me. They put the number that's on my pink ID card on the drivers license, Not my passport number.

Not having your passport number on the DL is a distinct advantage. You can most probably check into most hotels in Thailand using the pink ID card (despite it only being valid in the province of issue), and because your passport number will therefore not be recorded by the hotel, you will not be troubled with the absurd rules re TM30's and the like

Only Nok Air at Buriram airport refused the Pink ID card as ID (despite it being in my home province) Have used it on many occasions at Don Mueang (with both Air Asia and Nok) and at many hotels in Thailand.

I do not have a pink ID card but I do have the Yellow House Book. My licence is due for renewal in January. Hey ho!

Slightly crossed wires... Both jp surin's new driving licence and his Pink ID card do not show the passport number. Both can normally be used for checking into a hotel in lieu of passport

Last edited:
Where? Same place that I obtained the yellow book?

Where your wife renews her ID card. The usual procedure is that they print the pink cards during the last hour of the working day, as they need to change the settings from Thai ID card to Pink Card. A nominal charge of 60baht is applied, I think, though they charged me nothing.

Where your wife renews her ID card. The usual procedure is that they print the pink cards during the last hour of the working day, as they need to change the settings from Thai ID card to Pink Card. A nominal charge of 60baht is applied, I think, though they charged me nothing.

And some charge more.:p:D

Got 5yr DL renewed today in Surin. No problem, need med cert, passport and yellow book with you. Need photo copies, yellow book, passport face page , latest visa/ extension page, and if your passport number was used on your old licence and you now have a new passport a copy of the page showing the change over. Pink card never mentioned. And watch 50 minute movie with english subtitles. Plus colour test, reaction test, light colour test test and the depth perception test ( failed if wife not standing at the side and can see into the machine telling when ok.) 555baht.
Missed morning group, arrived about 11:00 handed in paper work was booked in for 13:00 session, watched movie 50 min paid money had pic taken and all done.

Back