Drunk driver kills 8 in SSK province

georgefromcanada

You chose a custom title
Saturday night a 39 year old drunk driver drove his pickup into a line of young teenagers sitting on their motorcycles outside the village wat.

The temple in a village in Phrai Bueng District, south of SSK city, was holding a movie night.
The driver did not flee the scene and has admitted he was drunk and thinks he fell asleep. The dead are aged 14 to 16.FB_IMG_1701013292539.jpgFB_IMG_1701013300000.jpg

Very sad and entirely preventable, driving impaired is all to common place here

Last edited:
Its always so incredibly sad. Specialy when young people are involved. The only reason he did not do the usual runner was that he was too drunk to do so.
He is just so rooted. The insurance will not pay and he is up for the lot. There goes driving around in a fancy pick up.

Whilst there is little to no doubt that he was well pissed, and allegedly fell asleep at the wheel, many of us could encounter similar situations. Is it safe to drink 1 beer and drive, 2 perhaps or even 3 small ones. Depends largely on ones body weight, what and how much earlier we ate. Also when did we last drink. There cannot be a set rule of 1,2 or 3 small beers is OK

Should perhaps drinking and driving be banned completely............with harsh penalties for those that disobey. Walk home from a bar or restaurant, have a non drinker drive home or take a taxi motorbike taxi or similar. Or if in a city then stay over as I did when we had regular meetings in Surin. Car stays put in the hotel car park

I mainly drink at home these days, When the family go to a restaurant (and I have a drink or 2) either my son or daughter drive us back home. Safer all round that way.

Whilst there is little to no doubt that he was well pissed, and allegedly fell asleep at the wheel, many of us could encounter similar situations. Is it safe to drink 1 beer and drive, 2 perhaps or even 3 small ones. Depends largely on ones body weight, what and how much earlier we ate. Also when did we last drink. There cannot be a set rule of 1,2 or 3 small beers is OK

Should perhaps drinking and driving be banned completely............with harsh penalties for those that disobey. Walk home from a bar or restaurant, have a non drinker drive home or take a taxi motorbike taxi or similar. Or if in a city then stay over as I did when we had regular meetings in Surin. Car stays put in the hotel car park

I mainly drink at home these days, When the family go to a restaurant (and I have a drink or 2) either my son or daughter drive us back home. Safer all round that way.
Don't try and reinvent the wheel Nick. The consensus is unanimous on this issue.It has widely been established over the last 50 years that a blood concentration any higher then -05 % will deteriorate your driving skills. If you had any in the first place. Just stick to the well established guide lines for being under -05. Yes there is a set of rules that is a rule of thumb, don't say there cannot be a set rule. Well there is, and its well established.

Don't try and reinvent the wheel Nick. The consensus is unanimous on this issue.It has widely been established over the last 50 years that a blood concentration any higher then -05 % will deteriorate your driving skills. If you had any in the first place. Just stick to the well established guide lines for being under -05. Yes there is a set of rules that is a rule of thumb, don't say there cannot be a set rule. Well there is, and its well established.
I went DD in 2010--.183, way over, not surprising really after a bottle of Johnnie Walker gold.
12 month disqualification and a $2,000 fine-- I only just backed out of my driveway.

You must've been seriously in the piss. Thankfully that was as far as you got. :)

(Did someone call the coppers on you prior to your departure ?)
What happened was,I reversed out of my driveway and, there was a cop car traveling in the same
direction about 150 + meters away, the copper said I did not do anything wrong except for being pissed--they were out quota hunting.

From an article in the Thaiger last January:

"The Centre for Alcohol Studies (CAS) urged relevant departments to consider setting the blood alcohol content (BAC) limit for drivers in Thailand at 0%, instead of 0.05%, because drivers with 0.05% of BAC in their system still cause fatal road accidents.

The legal BAC is set at 0.05% in Thailand. This means that motorists in the country can drive if their BAC is less than 0.05%, or 50 milligrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of blood. This is the equivalent of two glasses of wine or beer.

The vice president of the CAS, Ponthep Wijitkunakorn, used a recent fatal road accident that killed five victims in the Isaan province of Sisaket to emphasise why the legal limit for a driver’s blood alcohol level needed to be changed.

The driver, 30 year old Likit Tarut, crashed his sedan into a motorcycle and then ran across the traffic island and hit another black sedan car. The motorcycle rider, the driver of the black sedan, and four passengers were all pronounced dead at the scene. Likit was tested, and his alcohol blood level was below 0.05%."

So, the driver in that horrific accident was not shown to be drunk, nor was his driving said to have been impaired by alcohol - merely that his blood alcohol level was below the limit. It could have been 0% and this will certainly be the case for many of Thailand's drivers who have fatal accidents. The argument that BAC limits must be changed to 0% has little - if any - relevance to this case.

I'm definitely not an apologist for drink-driving, nor for idiots behind the wheel who are incapable of controlling their vehicles simply because it is beyond their ability to do so. Untrained and stupid, driving without regard for the conditions. It is a pity that the official statistics don't seem to provide a category for these in their reports of traffic incidents such as death and injury. If the authorities focused on ensuring that all drivers exercise the appropriate driving skills, then such incidents would have a far greater impact on making Thai roads safer places to be, and reducing the carnage recorded year on year.

"The Centre for Alcohol Studies (CAS) urged relevant departments to consider setting the blood alcohol content (BAC) limit for drivers in Thailand at 0%, instead of 0.05%, because drivers with 0.05% of BAC in their system still cause fatal road accidents.

The legal BAC is set at 0.05% in Thailand. This means that motorists in the country can drive if their BAC is less than 0.05%, or 50 milligrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of blood. This is the equivalent of two glasses of wine or beer.

The vice president of the CAS, Ponthep Wijitkunakorn, used a recent fatal road accident that killed five victims in the Isaan province of Sisaket to emphasise why the legal limit for a driver’s blood alcohol level needed to be changed.

The driver, 30 year old Likit Tarut, crashed his sedan into a motorcycle and then ran across the traffic island and hit another black sedan car. The motorcycle rider, the driver of the black sedan, and four passengers were all pronounced dead at the scene. Likit was tested, and his alcohol blood level was below 0.05%."

So, the driver in that horrific accident was not shown to be drunk, nor was his driving said to have been impaired by alcohol - merely that his blood alcohol level was below the limit. It could have been 0% and this will certainly be the case for many of Thailand's drivers who have fatal accidents. The argument that BAC limits must be changed to 0% has little - if any - relevance to this case.

I'm definitely not an apologist for drink-driving, nor for idiots behind the wheel who are incapable of controlling their vehicles simply because it is beyond their ability to do so. Untrained and stupid, driving without regard for the conditions. It is a pity that the official statistics don't seem to provide a category for these in their reports of traffic incidents such as death and injury. If the authorities focused on ensuring that all drivers exercise the appropriate driving skills, then such incidents would have a far greater impact on making Thai roads safer places to be, and reducing the carnage recorded year on year.
Very valid point. Most definitely many serious and fatal accidents are caused through impatience, incompetent driving and lack of training/instruction. However many more are caused by drivers "over the alcohol limit" regardless of their normal driving ability.. Would imposing a blood alcohol content (BAC) limit for drivers at 0%,significantly improve the fatality and serious injury numbers?. Would proper training, experience and testing also help? Maybe. But if the police got up off their arses and booked every infringement (tailgating. speeding, monopolising outside lanes of dual carriage ways, driving against traffic flow and many many more breaches) and in many cases impounded the vehicle for a month or more, I feel sure drivers would think twice about their driving habits, which alone would I believe reduce the accident rate. And if caught over the alcohol limit, whatever that may be, (set up checkpoints outside night clubs, discos etc) then very serious penalties including lifetime bans on driving (once the prison sentence was completed)

You need to be careful with numbers.

Statistically, more people are killed by sober drivers.

Statistically, fewer people are killed on Thailand's road during the 7 'deadly days' than on normal days.

Statistically, fewer people are killed on Thailand's road during the 7 'deadly days' than on normal days.
Exactly so, which is why I wrote " If the authorities focused on ensuring that all drivers exercise the appropriate driving skills, then such incidents would have a far greater impact on making Thai roads safer places to be, and reducing the carnage recorded year on year."

Looking through the wrong end of the telescope is seldom useful.

In fact Thailand has proved time and again most fatal accidents are caused by speed and not alcohol.

In fact Thailand has proved time and again most fatal accidents are caused by speed and not alcohol.

Please don't misunderstand me, there are too many p!ssed up drivers on the roads in Thailand........... but they, nor speed, are solely responsible for the ridiculously high death toll.

I would suggest that poor driving skills** are responsible for most fatal accidents.

(** due to lack of proper education, proper training, proper testing and proper policing).

Back