Drunk driver kills 8 in SSK province

In fact Thailand has proved time and again most fatal accidents are caused by speed and not alcohol.
That needs further analysis. Speed alone does not kill. Some 80% of accidents involve motorbikes, who, as we all know pull out from a parked position, a side road or wherever, without looking to see what may be coming. Or they suddenly want to turn right or U turn (as do many car and pick up drivers) without either looking or signalling their proposed move. Or worse jump red lights. Such motorists cause accidents, and many will die regardless of the speed of the vehicle that smashes into them.

In fact Thailand has proved time and again most fatal accidents are caused by speed and not alcohol.

Speed never killed anyone. It is always the idiot behind the wheel (which can include a slow moving driver misjudging what he or she sees) that fails to control the vehicle. Just like in the saying "a chain is only as strong as its weakest link" speed limits tend to be set to accommodate the weaknesses of the least capable drivers.

Even if a wheel falls off, the driver has an opportunity to react and slow down on hearing or feeling the wheel become loose beforehand. I write from experience after a front wheel was loosened when a mechanic failed to tighten the retaining bolts after changing the tyres... I heard a change in the tyre/wheel noise and reacted before the wheel came off the hub completely.

I have never forgotten something my wonderful late Thai wife said to me one time when we were traveling into Surin
I saw motorcyclist do a stupid thing on his bike. I said to her. What was he thinking?
Her reply was.
Les Thai"s don't know how to think.
I have never forgotten what she said and have been reminded of it on many occasions.

I am so glad nobody completed in killing the messenger, But Speed over alcohol is indeed the Thai governments findings and not my own.
I most of all are skeptical of these findings, as well.

Back