Electricity Costs

You lucky lot. Mine was a low of 2,500, not too bad with 3 girls using the hot water showers for ever, and ever.

a little bit below 1000 this month (cold and reduced use of fans)

The bill you receive in February is always early because of the amount of days in this month

There is a logic there some where but I am not sure where. If your meter is usually read on the 18th of each month, why is it necessary to read the meter earlier than that during the month of February? For those with a later meter reading date, say, 29th, 30th or 31st, I think I can understand why your meter should be read earlier than usual.

There is a logic there some where but I am not sure where. If your meter is usually read on the 18th of each month, why is it necessary to read the meter earlier than that during the month of February? For those with a later meter reading date, say, 29th, 30th or 31st, I think I can understand why your meter should be read earlier than usual.

I have no idea why it's necessary either @nomad97 but that's what happened in our case. The previous six readings were recorded on either 18th or 19th of months August to January but this month the reading was recorded on 16th (Which would be another reason why our bill is lower - we were away for 4 days during the latest "month")

Yes...What about April that has 5 Bank Holidays compared to February's 2 ...that makes February and April having the same amount of working days !! :D

Yes...What about April that has 5 Bank Holidays compared to February's 2 ...that makes February and April having the same amount of working days !! :D

Just to clarify - this year February has 20 week days (Mondays to Fridays) as does April.

[Depends how you classify "working days" I guess]

Now figure this. Our meter is usually read around the 18th and previously had a payment due date 1 week later of the 24th of the same month. At the end of last year my wife elected to go for 'direct pay' or something and now the bank pays the bill with the electric company. However, the bank does not pay it on the 24th of each month as before but now debits the bank account some 2 to 3 weeks later. This caused chaos and confusion on the first bill/bank statement. My wife could not relate January's electric bill with what was showing on the January bank statement. I tried to point out, very tactfully I might add, that January's bank statement was showing December's electric bill. We now have an extra couple of weeks grace period in which to pay the bill, although this is now done automatically by the bank.

My recent approximate charges:

December ................. 1,300.00
January .................... 1,300.00
February ................... 1,000.00 (short month)
March ....................... 1,300.00
April ......................... 1,500.00 (as the aircon kicks in)

Surely your monthly beer tab is more than double that, eh.

How many units you use this month Yorky? I used 652.

How many units you use this month Yorky? I used 652.

You have transgressed into the super rate band!

0 - 150 kwh/m - 3.2484 Bht/Kwh*
151 - 400 kwh/m - 4.2218 Bht/Kwh*
401 upwards kwh/m - 4.4217 Bht/Kwh*

To which is added/deducted the FT adjustment, currently -0.3729.

* + V.A.T.

I wondered what -0.3729 meant. Next to that it says -243.13

I wonder if the mother in law's house is plugged into my meter. Bastards. Ha

I wondered what -0.3729 meant. Next to that it says -243.13

Instead of increasing/reducing the Kw/hr rates as the price of fuel (oil/gas) fluctuates, MEA/PEA vary the FT (fuel tax) to reflect increases/decreases. They do not vary it every week but only with significant changes I understand. FT is applied to every Kw/hr used [652 units x -0.3729 = -243.13].

Back