Escape Route?

I believe the health care available is a greater concern in Laos & Cambodia.
Or has that improved too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is getting better in Cambodia I hear from friends living there a long time. But if major health problems, and you can get there, Thailand is far better still.

Chong Chom to Siem Reap is my emergency exit strategy. From Siem Reap to Phnom Pehn, and then to anywhere if the 'emergency' is prolonged. I could easily stay in Malaysia (Penang, Georgetown) for a lengthy time period. Lots of inexpensive nice apartments, great restaurants and pubs. And they serve large Guinness beer all over. Oh, and very good medical facilities and doctors (Chinese and Indian).

Chong Chom to Siem Reap is my emergency exit strategy. From Siem Reap to Phnom Pehn, and then to anywhere if the 'emergency' is prolonged. I could easily stay in Malaysia (Penang, Georgetown) for a lengthy time period. Lots of inexpensive nice apartments, great restaurants and pubs. And they serve large Guinness beer all over. Oh, and very good medical facilities and doctors (Chinese and Indian).

Penang must be one of the few places in Muslim Malaysia today where beer is freely available in many pubs. Going next week, and would not wish to upset Allah! However I think a few days maximum in any Muslim country is sufficient for me.

Was incidentally in Malaysia 36 years ago. Spent 1 month there. Drove from KL all the way up the east coast, flew over to Penang (no road then) and drove back down the west coast to KL. It must presumably have been Muslim then, but it was not apparent and in your face.

Georgetown-Penang retains it's colonial founding and influence. It's more of a laid-back 'city-island' just a couple of hours drive from the troublesome southern Thai border. Not a wild ride brand like BKK or Pattaya.
How long it will remain peaceful nobody know but that is the same for anywhere.

I think the past problem was one based on ethnic background where there was a groundswell of violence from 'ethnic'-Malays against other ethnic groups...though most all were of the Muslim religious orientation.

That must have been a marvelous ride in 1980. I envy you. :cool:

(Were you with a farang lady at that time in your "late 20's" ?) :hearteyes:

Malaysia is a country that actively promotes expat retirees with a lot of incentives. Most of us have quite a stake here in Thailand, but there comes a time when pushing goes too far. I don't think we are quite there yet, but I have heard the ground swell in the bars of Bangkok. Yes this is just talk, but people would not be talking if things were all right. We are talking as well, are we not?

Georgetown-Penang retains it's colonial founding and influence. It's more of a laid-back 'city-island' just a couple of hours drive from the troublesome southern Thai border. Not a wild ride brand like BKK or Pattaya.
How long it will remain peaceful nobody know but that is the same for anywhere.

I think the past problem was one based on ethnic background where there was a groundswell of violence from 'ethnic'-Malays against other ethnic groups...though most all were of the Muslim religious orientation.

That must have been a marvelous ride in 1980. I envy you. :cool:

(Were you with a farang lady at that time in your "late 20's" ?) :hearteyes:

A luuk krung as one would say in Thailand. Young lady, born in Malaya (as it was then) to a Malay Mother and Welsh Father. It was indeed a great holiday, which started and ended in Singapore. Late 20's indeed Coffee :wink:

Malaysia is a country that actively promotes expat retirees with a lot of incentives. Most of us have quite a stake here in Thailand, but there comes a time when pushing goes too far. I don't think we are quite there yet, but I have heard the ground swell in the bars of Bangkok. Yes this is just talk, but people would not be talking if things were all right. We are talking as well, are we not?
I go there quite often for a brief break, but it's pretty boring. The restaurants along the breakwater are very, very good and no one would think it's a muslim area..predominately Chinese Malay.

I go there quite often for a brief break, but it's pretty boring. The restaurants along the breakwater are very, very good and no one would think it's a muslim area..predominately Chinese Malay.

Presumably you are referring to Penang, Surin.

Off there next week. Can you please provide some additional info on restaurants "along the breakwater"and anything else of particular interest

Thanks

Presumably you are referring to Penang, Surin.

Off there next week. Can you please provide some additional info on restaurants "along the breakwater"and anything else of particular interest

Thanks

All along Gurney Drive are exceptional, Nick. Cheap as well and no problem getting a drink either.

Back