Expert tips for making the perfect curry

S

SANGKA

From yahoo.

An estimated 23 million of us tuck into a curry at least once a month. And if you're a curry fan, you don't need to rely on pre-packed jars and ready-meals. To mark National Curry Week (8-14th October), we asked three experts to reveal their secrets for making the perfect curry at home.

Stir in garam masala towards the end of cooking
While some spices are best added to the pan at the start of cooking, there are benefits to stirring garam masala in at the end. We asked The Ambrette's Michelin-rated chef Dev Biswal. "Generally, it's better to add garam masala at the end of the cooking process, as it works on an aromatic level, raising the whole nature of the dish," he told us. Stir a little into your dish just before you serve it to release all those fresh, vibrant aromas.

Use natural thickeners for a silky texture
Sometimes, a home-made curry doesn't have the thick, silky sauce you often get in restaurants. Indian chef and food writer Maunika Gowardhan suggests stirring in natural thickeners to give your dish the right texture. "Tomato purée, coconut milk/cream and yoghurt all work as perfect thickening agents for a curry", she told us. Some recipes also call for ground nuts, such as almonds or peanuts which thicken the sauce and add sweetness.

Fry whole spices in oil first
As well as stocking up on ground spices, Maunika recommends using whole spices to make your curry really stand out. "Frying whole spices in oil allows for an even amount of flavour to the overall dish. Make sure to fry the spices for 1-2 minutes before adding the rest of your ingredients." Whole spices often used in Indian curries include cardamom pods, black peppercorns, cloves and cinnamon.​

Chicken jalfrezi with rice and naan
Take your time
According to Andy Laurillard, Managing Director of The Giggling Squid Thai restaurant chain, the secret to a flavourful, authentic curry is to cook it slowly. He recommends grinding spices such as dried and fresh chilli, galangal, lemongrass, shallots, garlic, shrimp paste and lime leaves and then stewing them in vegetable oil over a gentle heat, before adding any coconut milk or meat. "After a long time, all the aroma and flavours and oils from the herbs release and infuse into the vegetable oil. The chilli colour, too," he says. Anjum Anand, in her book I Love Curry, also recommends cooking curries slowly so that the flavours can "fully develop."​

Grind your own spices
Chuck out that jar of garam masala that's been in the cupboard for months and grind up your own spice blends instead. Ground spices quickly become stale and lose their fresh, aromatic flavour. "For best results, I recommend home cooks grind their own spices in relatively small quantities and keep them in airtight containers for use within a few days or weeks," Dev Biswal says. "The difference between freshly ground and stale spice is noticeable." You can buy small, electric grinders to whizz whole spices into a powder, or use a pestle and mortar.

Use flavoured oil for a finishing touch
Maunika suggests a great way of giving your curry that extra special touch. "Top with a basic tadka — heat oil and add cumin seeds and whole chillies, letting them sizzle in the oil." She suggests pouring this flavoured oil over the finished curry just before serving, "for that wow factor." Other toppings you can sprinkle over your curry include fried, sliced onions or chilli slices, fried until golden. Freshly chopped coriander leaves will also add fragrance to a curry, scattered over just before serving.​

Try different accompaniments
When all the cooking is done and the time comes to serve your curry, don't automatically reach just for the rice. Maunika explained that pickles, chutneys and papads (poppadoms) add variety and make the meal "more celebratory." For many curries, breads are the traditional accompaniment and not rice. Try naan, bhatura, roti and paratha — and there are lots of side dishes to choose from too. Serve lentil-based dhals, cooling raitas and spiced vegetables — and if you're serving up an East Asian-inspired feast, consider sides such as spicy kimchi, salads and spicy prawn crackers.
Jump_DroolJump_DroolJump_DroolJump_Drool

Fish finger sandwiches aside you can't beat a good curry!

Try (Surin) Steve Grace's new curries he is selling now in Surin for home use, or have one at Starbeam's. We now sell Steve's excellent curries. They are really good, well made, proper UK curry, and made to perfection. Try them. You'll enjoy them I am sure. Everyone who has had one loves them.

Mike

Thank you Sangka - that was a really interesting post. I like to make my own curries and there are some very useful tips in that article that will add spice and flavour to my own efforts.

Try (Surin) Steve Grace's new curries he is selling now in Surin for home use, or have one at Starbeam's. We now sell Steve's excellent curries. They are really good, well made, proper UK curry, and made to perfection. Try them. You'll enjoy them I am sure. Everyone who has had one loves them.

Mike

I couldn't agree more. Steve's curries are terrific. My whole family loves them. The Madras is delicious. I buy them ten at a time, as they are eaten and enjoyed quickly.

I really don't understand you guys. You have the best curries in the world right on your doorstep. Thai curry is absolutely fantastic - Red, Green, Yellow, Phanaeng, Massaman etc and usually 25-30 baht a serve. A different curry for every day of the week. Not to mention southern Thailand having delicious authentic malay-indian curries. I personally prefer the Thai style curries because generally speaking they use fresh herbs and aromatic leaves rather than a mix of dried spices, such as they do with Indian styles.
By the way what is a proper UK curry? Just a watered down, less manly version of an Indian curry I would suspect? I have searched google and found curries from all round the world. Even places I didn't know existed apparently make curries. But not a skerrick on what a UK curry is. I am beginning to think there is no such thing and they have just blatantly stolen the recipe from India, then toned it down for British tastes. Maybe someone should start a wikipedia page on British curries because there currently isn't one. It would help to give British curry a bit more authenticity I would think.
"An estimated 23 million of us tuck into a curry at least once a month." I think this figure could possibly be a little conservative, considering there are over a billion Indians who are quite partial to the odd vindaloo.

Last edited by a moderator:
They just want something different Gold Dick...been eating Thai curries for years and now want to try an Indian curry.

"An estimated 23 million of us tuck into a curry at least once a month." I think this figure could possibly be a little conservative, considering there are over a billion Indians who are quite partial to the odd vindaloo.

I think you need to investigate in other sources HH as its commonly known about the origins of British Curries. Where are you from mate and welcome to SF! Greetings9

Fact is. The food in India is garbage, its always stodgy, and soaked in Oil and salt. If you want a higher quality of Gourmet Indian food then look no further than places like the Uk, Durban, or the UAE or anywhere else where there is a large Indian community catering for that more sophiscated pallet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fact is. The food in India is garbage, its always stodgy, and soaked in Oil and salt. If you want a higher quality of Gourmet Indian food then look no further than places like the Uk, Durban, or the UAE or anywhere else where there is a large Indian community catering for that more sophiscated pallet.

Absolute garbage and when you get crook it takes 3 months to recover!

Stir in garam masala towards the end of cooking

I generally make one of the North Indian varieties.

garammasala.jpg

Where do you buy them from Bear?

I am aware that Steve sells them "direct" and you can catch him either in Starbeam or Farang Connection most afternoons.

Cheers

PS: I haven't had one myself yet (I make my own), but everyone I know of who has, has nothing but praise for them.

Last edited:
Back