F.C.D Bangkok Bank account

I am in a completely different position than you or Nick. I don't want it as a working account, it's for storage. There will be no deposits after the initial one and there will only be one withdrawal (just over the horizon). If NatWest stop pissing me about I shall not need it anyway, the Sterling will be stored in IoM as usual.

[Edit: and will be added to every 4 weeks (something that's not feasible with an FCD here in Thailand)]

My daughter has completed the NatWest form and is sending it today so this conversation could be superfluous.

You can transfer whenever you like. The transfer fee is 0.25% (min 200bt max 500bt) with Bangkok Bank. Kasikorn add another 0.1% (unlimited and 20baht for transfer from HO to the province.!

On 10,000.00 quid, that would be Bht 460.00? It would cost me far more than that to open a new account with BKB given that I will need a "PoR" from Kab Cheong.

You can transfer whenever you like. The transfer fee is 0.25% (min 200bt max 500bt) with Bangkok Bank. Kasikorn add another 0.1% (unlimited and 20baht for transfer from HO to the province.!

The point is that Yorky could well finish up with no Sterling bank account in the U.K./Channel Isles..

It is not feasible. DWP will not send my pension in Sterling to Thailand. Therefore I shall receive it in Bht.

Thomas Edison found over 1,000 ways not to invent the electric light bulb...........eventually he found ONE way to invent it

You are taking the same approach, rather than looking for one possible way to receive Sterling payments

Thomas Edison found over 1,000 ways not to invent the electric light bulb...........eventually he found ONE way to invent it

You are taking the same approach, rather than looking for one possible way to receive Sterling payments

I have only found one way to receive Sterling payments from DWP and that is to a UK bank.

You appear to know different?

Tell us more.

I have only found one way to receive Sterling payments from DWP and that is to a UK bank.

You appear to know different?

Tell us more.

I believe the UK pension may be able to be paid to a 3rd party bank account -in the UK. Perhaps a family member could receive it on your behalf, and subject to monetary requirements, transfer to an FCD account at 3/6 monthly intervals.

I believe the UK pension may be able to be paid to a 3rd party bank account -in the UK. Perhaps a family member could receive it on your behalf, and subject to monetary requirements, transfer to an FCD account at 3/6 monthly intervals.
Correct.

Bank accounts your pension can be paid into
Your State Pension can be paid into:
  • a bank in the country you’re living in
  • a bank or building society in the UK
You can use:
  • an account in your name
  • a joint account
  • someone else’s account - if you have their permission and keep to the terms and conditions of the account
See: https://www.gov.uk/state-pension-if-you-retire-abroad/how-to-claim

Correct.

Bank accounts your pension can be paid into
Your State Pension can be paid into:
  • a bank in the country you’re living in
  • a bank or building society in the UK
You can use:
  • an account in your name
  • a joint account
  • someone else’s account - if you have their permission and keep to the terms and conditions of the account
See: https://www.gov.uk/state-pension-if-you-retire-abroad/how-to-claim

Well done Nomad, you would have discovered the light bulb yonks before Yorky

OK, I have had a response from Kasikorn Bank:

1) The FCD account may be serviced at any FCD Branch (of which there are 209 which appear to be well scattered although the majority are in Bangkok). The account may only be closed in the branch where it was opened.

2) It is permitted for the FCD to be a joint account.

3) K-Cyber banking is not able to access an FCD account.

4) For a foreigner, passport and temporary work permit are required to open an FCD account. I have queried the work permit requirement with them as I am too old to have such a document (even if I wanted one).

More bollocks from Kasikorn:

"Referring to your enquiry about Foreign Currency Deposit (FCD), we would like to provide you with the information you have enquired: If you do not have Work Permit, you cannot open FCD account. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Service is our heart, so you can 'Leave everything in our hands'."

More bollocks from Kasikorn:

"Referring to your enquiry about Foreign Currency Deposit (FCD), we would like to provide you with the information you have enquired: If you do not have Work Permit, you cannot open FCD account. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Service is our heart, so you can 'Leave everything in our hands'."

Why is that bollocks ?

It seems quite succinct to me.

Because a work permit is issued to permit you to work within the law, pal. It is not issued to open a f**king bank account!

I can see why you are a problem customer. :astonished:

I certainly wouldn't entertain you in my bank.

Kasikorn have every right to set their own requirements and if a work permit is one of them (as it is with many banks - SCB wouldn't open a savings account for me without one).

Maybe you will understand why Prakhonchai Nick strongly recommended Bangkok Bank.

Kasikorn have every right to set their own requirements and if a work permit is one of them (as it is with many banks - SCB wouldn't open a savings account for me without one).

And I have every right to consider it a load of bollocks. There is no logical connection between a bank account and a work permit as far as I can see.

[Anyway, I've asked them for what purpose do they require a work permit]

Back