F.C.D Bangkok Bank account

Only mildly pissed last eve.

Providing the bank are happy with all the docs etc, they will open an FCD accoint (supplying the account number a few days later) No initial deposit needed. But you will also need to open a savings account, with an initial deposit. Both accounts work hand in hand. Transfer from FCD account to savings account, and withdraw from savings account. Both accounts can be operated online, but ATM card only with savings account.

Once you have the FCD account number, you can transfer funds from the UK. Standard transfer charges apply (min 200baht/max 500baht) When transferring £ sterling to baht into your savings account, there are no additional fees, and you receive the TT rate that applies at the exact time of the transfer.

QED

As I've been with Kasikorn for 15 years, I'll open the account with them. I know I shall not have internet facilities (at present?) but I can live with that.

As I've been with Kasikorn for 15 years, I'll open the account with them. I know I shall not have internet facilities (at present?) but I can live with that.

I wouldn't Pal.

I have read of both your experiences in opening an FCD with Bangkok Bank and it reads like a total clusterfuck (although I appreciate that you both eventually obtained one). As far as I know, the only difference between BKB and Kasikorn is that BKB have internet control whereas Kasikorn does not. I need to ensure that I may use the Robinson's branch of Kasikorn (just around the corner from me) prior to going any further with this.

I have read of both your experiences in opening an FCD with Bangkok Bank and it reads like a total clusterfuck (although I appreciate that you both eventually obtained one). As far as I know, the only difference between BKB and Kasikorn is that BKB have internet control whereas Kasikorn does not. I need to ensure that I may use the Robinson's branch of Kasikorn (just around the corner from me) prior to going any further with this.

With internet control, your wife (or someone acting on her behalf) would be able to access it after your demise. Otherwise the equivalent of Thai probate would be required, and that is expensive. Do not accept less than internet control.

Note also that any withdrawals without internet banking MUST be carried out in the bank where the account was opened. That could perhaps be inconvenient on occasions.

Or the Kasikorn Bank opposite Big C.

With internet control, your wife (or someone acting on her behalf) would be able to access it after your demise. Otherwise the equivalent of Thai probate would be required, and that is expensive. Do not accept less than internet control.

I was going to enquire about a joint account. Many avenues to explore yet until I make the decision.

For information: When I was a BKB customer many years ago they wouldn't allow me internet access because I was not in possession of a work permit. That is why I relocated to Kasikorn. Since I finished working for a living I've completely closed my savings accounts with BKK.

Joint FCD accounts not available. Servicing likely at only the main branch

I sit at home, transfer online from the FCD account to the savings account, and thence to anywhere I want, (ie another bank; pay a bill etc ) or withdraw via ATM.

It will be my intention to transfer to Bht one time only then close the account. If I finally open an account it will contain c. £10,000.00 and there will be no further deposits after the initial lump sum. I'll just sit and wait for a favourable exchange rate if there ever is one.

It will be my intention to transfer to Bht one time only then close the account. If I finally open an account it will contain c. £10,000.00 and there will be no further deposits after the initial lump sum. I'll just sit and wait for a favourable exchange rate if there ever is one.
Hope you are still around to see a favourable exchange rate. Could be in a for a long wait.

You have received unequivocal advice a Yorky.....up to you whether you are smart enough to act upon it!

You have received unequivocal advice a Yorky.....up to you whether you are smart enough to act upon it!

I am in a completely different position than you or Nick. I don't want it as a working account, it's for storage. There will be no deposits after the initial one and there will only be one withdrawal (just over the horizon). If NatWest stop pissing me about I shall not need it anyway, the Sterling will be stored in IoM as usual.

[Edit: and will be added to every 4 weeks (something that's not feasible with an FCD here in Thailand)]

Last edited:
I am in a completely different position than you or Nick. I don't want it as a working account, it's for storage. There will be no deposits after the initial one and there will only be one withdrawal (just over the horizon). If NatWest stop pissing me about I shall not need it anyway, the Sterling will be stored in IoM as usual.
I used to bank with Kasikorn until one day they really pissed me off. Guess what? That was to do with a currency transfer strangely enough. As soon as I had finished talking to the deputy manager I emptied my account, walked across the road to Bangkok Bank and opened an account with them. I have never returned to Kasikorn Bank since. I guess that was over 10 years ago. I have found Bangkok Bank so much nicer and easier to deal with. Full of red tape and bullshit but still a lot easier than Kasikorn Bank.

By the way I tried on-line to set up an Internet account with them this morning. Failed. Downloaded and completed the 6 page application form and submitted it to the staff in Bangkok Bank, Lotus Tesco. A very nice lady reviewed and checked my application, copied my passport and bank book opening pages, and said she had to forward to Bangkok. "You should hear from them in 7 days." she said, "They will contact you by email." My wife went in there a couple of weeks ago and opened her Internet on-line banking account in about 5 minutes. One rule for the rich and another rule for the poor. WTF?!

I used to bank with Kasikorn until one day they really pissed me off. Guess what? That was to do with a currency transfer strangely enough. As soon as I had finished talking to the deputy manager I emptied my account, walked across the road to Bangkok Bank and opened an account with them.

Same with me but mine was the other way around.

[Edit: and will be added to every 4 weeks (something that's not feasible with an FCD here in Thailand)]

Perfectly feasible....

Back