Home Renovation upcoming

"There is a hole in my roof where the rain comes in"

I would like to think that a mortar-based seal, sand and cement, will keep the rain out but I somehow doubt it. Over time it will become brittle, crack and water will seep through. Surely the professional solution is to lift the tiles and insert a tin or stainless steel V-shaped 'gutter' underneath the tiles.

View attachment 38056
+1 (remember what I said about the Thai translation for 'good').

"There is a hole in my roof where the rain comes in"

I would like to think that a mortar-based seal, sand and cement, will keep the rain out but I somehow doubt it. Over time it will become brittle, crack and water will seep through. Surely the professional solution is to lift the tiles and insert a tin or stainless steel V-shaped 'gutter' underneath the tiles.

View attachment 38056
Correct. A 'Valley gutter' as in your picture is the correct thing to fit where two roofs join.
Mortar on top may last a little while, but will crack up and fail at some point.

Was that situation rectified at a later date by IQ or the installation crew ?

I'd decided to buy the house when it was no more than a shell in July 2013 - not recognising all its many faults because of the missing finishes. However, by July 2014, there had been zero progress made on the house by IQ, and - as my contract to rent a house elsewhere was coming to an end, we pushed IQ hard for a completion date, given as October 2014. By September, still nothing had been touched, except that a perimeter wall had been built nowhere near the position described by the then foreman. In early October, we had a meeting with Mr IQ who was evasive and arrogant, wanting to INCREASE the agreed price as we hadn't moved in!!! That increase was cancelled, and a financial allowance granted to us as he said that he had no workers available to complete it and so we appointed a different contractor to complete the build. Many hundreds of thousands of baht later, we moved in on Christmas Day 2014.

(That's the short version of the tale! The full story would take a week to describe, and we're STILL having issues with major aspects of IQ's own workmanship. EG the living room ceiling collapsed 18 months ago when the between-floors pipe joints in the en-suite came adrift. IQ workmen fixed that, confiding in us that many other homes had the same problem. However, another leak is now affecting the other upstairs hong naam bdrain, rending the shower unusable. Promises to come and see to it were made last November, but haven't been kept despite reminders. A formal complaint to the Thai equivalent of Trading Standards is about to be made, just as it was while the house was being built, when a hip tile that hadn't been screwed in place slipped off the top roof, smashed into a lower roof, and then damaged a passenger door, bonnet (hood), windscreen, door glass, wing, door mirror, and the windscreen of our then-car which was all subsequently fixed at IQ's expense after many refusals by them!)

Looks like a good requirement for expanding foam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No - that window opening was rebuilt using bricks and cement. The wall is south-facing, and I had experienced pu foam shrinking away in adverse conditions back in the UK, let alone Thai temperatures and exposure to sunlight. Other openings that were incorrectly sized and/or out of square were filled with cement, and timber fillets for window fixings where they were likely to crack.

I'd decided to buy the house when it was no more than a shell in July 2013 - not recognising all its many faults because of the missing finishes. However, by July 2014, there had been zero progress made on the house by IQ, and - as my contract to rent a house elsewhere was coming to an end, we pushed IQ hard for a completion date, given as October 2014. By September, still nothing had been touched, except that a perimeter wall had been built nowhere near the position described by the then foreman. In early October, we had a meeting with Mr IQ who was evasive and arrogant, wanting to INCREASE the agreed price as we hadn't moved in!!! That increase was cancelled, and a financial allowance granted to us as he said that he had no workers available to complete it and so we appointed a different contractor to complete the build. Many hundreds of thousands of baht later, we moved in on Christmas Day 2014.

(That's the short version of the tale! The full story would take a week to describe, and we're STILL having issues with major aspects of IQ's own workmanship. EG the living room ceiling collapsed 18 months ago when the between-floors pipe joints in the en-suite came adrift. IQ workmen fixed that, confiding in us that many other homes had the same problem. However, another leak is now affecting the other upstairs hong naam bdrain, rending the shower unusable. Promises to come and see to it were made last November, but haven't been kept despite reminders. A formal complaint to the Thai equivalent of Trading Standards is about to be made, just as it was while the house was being built, when a hip tile that hadn't been screwed in place slipped off the top roof, smashed into a lower roof, and then damaged a passenger door, bonnet (hood), windscreen, door glass, wing, door mirror, and the windscreen of our then-car which was all subsequently fixed at IQ's expense after many refusals by them!)

Sounds totally farked.
Have you and your neighbors had an interest in bringing forward a Class Action suit.

Was this home build part and parcel of the Kritsani Estate project ?

View attachment 38080
View attachment 38082
Just out of curiousity, if the stainless flashing was already under the valley, what was the purpose of the "mortar-based seal"?

The roofer put the underlying stainless down...welded underneath support and spray-painted ...and put a mortar-seal on top.

Evidently 'overkill'...should last thirty years on "Not My House".

Do you have a problem with that ? I don't.

Sounds totally farked.
Have you and your neighbors had an interest in bringing forward a Class Action suit.

Was this home build part and parcel of the Kritsani Estate project ?

One neighbour at the end of our cul-de-sac discovered that his home has been built over the boundary line for the project, leaving his side garden, driveway and part of the building on land owned by the government. He’s waiting for a remedy after months of surveying and discussions, but nothing has been organized yet. We’ve discussed a class action but are uncertain about the IQ financials. Kritsanai was started by them before our project began, but is now a separate business, seemingly owned by Mrs IQ, while ours is run by Mr IQ. Something to do with a breakdown in relationships is what we’ve been told. There were rumours of gambling debts... I can say no more.

The roofer put the underlying stainless down...welded underneath support and spray-painted ...and put a mortar-seal on top.

Evidently 'overkill'...should last thirty years on "Not My House".

Do you have a problem with that ? I don't.
No, I don't have a problem with 'overkill' or 'temporary repair' on "Not My House".
Have fun any way you choose, and try not to take offense at friendly advice.

Back