KCI requirinng more than letter from embassey.

For what it is worth I have to extend my visa based on retirement in a month's time, 30th December 2014, and I will update this thread accordingly. The 90-day report is due on the same date. I usually write to the British Embassy for the Income Letter at end of November so that the letter in dated early December. The process usually takes about 1 week and the cost for the letter is about 2,400฿. I always send the originals of my income statements from the pension providers by EMS and retain a photocopy of each 'just in case'. In light of what has been said on this forum, this year I will also take my bank book, just updated and will be kept up to date in future, and a photocopy of the last three months transactions.

Footnote: A few years ago when seeking an extension to the visa KCI Immigration required a copy of the previous 12 months transactions, or a yearly print out from the bank. They also liked to see in excess of 100,000฿ on the account in addition to the Income Letter from the Embassy. I think they dropped the requirement for the bank statements about 5 years ago. Sounds like they are bringing this requirement, or part of it at least, back into the procedure once more.

The current cost of the UK Embassy letter is 2,620 baht with EMS....

My one was rejected as a fake and not returned, when asked to return it for a refund from the Embassy, no was the answear, i even had the receipt from Bangkok..

An aussie mate went to KC and asked their requirements , as he was doing his first extension on retirement, he went all the way to BKK to get his Embassy letter and on return to KC they did not accept it ...

The above poster has answered this.. with refference to the price of the pattaya option...

Last edited:
The current cost of the UK Embassy letter is 2,620 baht with EMS....

My one was rejected as a fake and not returned, when asked to return it for a refund from the Embassy, no was the answer, i even had the receipt from Bangkok..

An aussie mate went to KC and asked their requirements , as he was doing his first extension on retirement, he went all the way to BKK to get his Embassy letter and on return to KC they did not accept it ...

The above poster has answered this.. with reference to the price of the pattaya option...

Mango2, thanks for the updated price of the embassy letter - bar stewards! I do not doubt that you were given the run around, but I do have to ask the question why?

I have been extending my visa via the embassy letter for the past 10 years. This year will be the 11th extension and, apart from the usual paperwork, a photo and 1900฿ the only question I am ever asked is, "You never leave Thailand?" in an incredulous voice. I usually reply with words to the effect, "I love my family and Thailand too much to want to leave." Some 15 minutes later I am usually out of there with a new stamp in the passport for the following year.

I will certainly let you know what happens in about 5 weeks time.

For what it is worth I have to extend my visa based on retirement in a month's time, 30th December 2014, and I will update this thread accordingly. The 90-day report is due on the same date. I usually write to the British Embassy for the Income Letter at end of November so that the letter in dated early December. The process usually takes about 1 week and the cost for the letter is about 2,400฿. I always send the originals of my income statements from the pension providers by EMS and retain a photocopy of each 'just in case'. In light of what has been said on this forum, this year I will also take my bank book, just updated and will be kept up to date in future, and a photocopy of the last three months transactions.

Footnote: A few years ago when seeking an extension to the visa KCI Immigration required a copy of the previous 12 months transactions, or a yearly print out from the bank. They also liked to see in excess of 100,000฿ on the account in addition to the Income Letter from the Embassy. I think they dropped the requirement for the bank statements about 5 years ago. Sounds like they are bringing this requirement, or part of it at least, back into the procedure once more.

"I think they dropped the requirement for the bank statements about 5 years ago. Sounds like they are bringing this requirement, or part of it at least, back into the procedure once more"

They have. I just did my extension a few weeks ago. I had my income verification from the US Embassy and they would not accept this as sole proof of income for a 1 year extension of O visa. They want to see your bank statements as well. No ifs, ands, or buts. 'No can do' they said without the extra income info. They also said they do require the embassy income verification paperwork AS WELL. I asked why I went all the way to Bangkok and paid 2000 odd baht for the Income Verification paperwork (and the cost to go back and forth to BKK) if they will not accept that as proof. They said there's a new policy now. Not same as before.

I think we will be hearing more on this as the next couple months go by.

Immigration do, of course, have the right to ask for additional information - it is set as such in their notes to police order 777/2551.

What is frustrating is that no warning is given of policy changes. Mango2You presented the exact documentation that had been successful in the previous year, only to be knocked back with a request for additional information.

Presenting the same information that was evidenced to the embassy and saying "This was good enough for the British Embassy to confirm my income so it is certainly good enough for you clowns" may, or may not, be the way to go.

I should not get angry over other people's experiences (when my own have - thus far - been satisfactory). However, I am incensed by the supercilious attitude of these tin soldiers who appear to take sadistic pleasure in sticking obstacles in front of Farangs.

I shall continue to make every effort to comply with the regulations - as I understand them. But, if these b4stards ever make life too difficult I will no hesitation in relocating to Cambodia and becoming a regular visitor to Thailand.

When Immigration changed the rules some years ago (10?) that you were required to provide a new pension letter every year, Mrs Dow (who some of you may know) advised me that it was not the Thai government that had amended the rule but "our" foreign governments had "forced" the change because Thai wives had a habit of not informing the pension providers that their spouse was dead.

Think about it!

That sounds quite plausible. Anyway, Thai authorities wouldn't bring in stupid rules for no good reason - would they?

Immigration do, of course, have the right to ask for additional information - it is set as such in their notes to police order 777/2551.

What is frustrating is that no warning is given of policy changes. Mango2You presented the exact documentation that had been successful in the previous year, only to be knocked back with a request for additional information.

Presenting the same information that was evidenced to the embassy and saying "This was good enough for the British Embassy to confirm my income so it is certainly good enough for you clowns" may, or may not, be the way to go.

I should not get angry over other people's experiences (when my own have - thus far - been satisfactory). However, I am incensed by the supercilious attitude of these tin soldiers who appear to take sadistic pleasure in sticking obstacles in front of Farangs.

I shall continue to make every effort to comply with the regulations - as I understand them. But, if these b4stards ever make life too difficult I will no hesitation in relocating to Cambodia and becoming a regular visitor to Thailand.

It was NOT documentation i and others were asked for....we had all that...the documetation was deemed fake for one reason....now put your thinking caps on..for the last time on this thread...sorry co-co, all my t,s and i,s were done as normal..you know me.

When Immigration changed the rules some years ago (10?) that you were required to provide a new pension letter every year, Mrs Dow (who some of you may know) advised me that it was not the Thai government that had amended the rule but "our" foreign governments had "forced" the change because Thai wives had a habit of not informing the pension providers that their spouse was dead.

Think about it!

Yorky, I can date this exactly for you. KCI was still in the old Immigration hut on the left-hand side of the road on the way into Kap Cheown. I had been down there in the September to do my 90-day report and, with my wife, talked to Dow about the visa extension renewal in December. In particular, I showed her the Embassy Income Letter from the previous year and asked if that would be acceptable this year. "Yes," she replied. Three months later I pitched up at KCI, all documents and bank statements with me and it was the first and only time I have been turned away. "Sorry, your letter from the Embassy is out of date and you need a new one." WTF, you said it was okay three months ago and now , 3 days before Christmas you want a new one. "The rules have changed," was the reply and no amount of protest about the timing of the rejection was acceptable to her. With the Christmas/New year festivities upon us, and the embassy was closing too, it was too late to do by post and a personal trip to Bangkok was the only way forward.

On the way back to Surin we called my wife's mother and said we would collect her that afternoon to come and look after our 6 month old baby. We were off to Bangkok that night to get the new letter before the Embassy closed for Christmas. Our little baby is now 9 years and 6 months old so your 10 years ago guess was pretty good. You are only out by one year, it was 9 years ago exactly, almost to the month.

When Immigration changed the rules some years ago (10?) that you were required to provide a new pension letter every year, Mrs Dow (who some of you may know) advised me that it was not the Thai government that had amended the rule but "our" foreign governments had "forced" the change because Thai wives had a habit of not informing the pension providers that their spouse was dead.Think about it!

Makes mighty good sense to me. goodpost Yorky.

On another point - we have all heard about the illicit 'dodgy' visa scheme whereby an unknown entry is made in your passbook making it appear that the required minimum sum of money is in your account vested for 90 days so one can make the visa based on retirement.
Now WTF...WHO and in what Gov't service would be in charge of overseeing that passport visa stamp and validation ?

So with that scenario of logical thought clear in mind - wouldn't a person working for the same service rightly think that any and all letters from a foreign country's Embassy could be bought (in the same line of thinking) and be completely bollux ? Think1

I think the "show me the money" trail is a more plausible route for Immigration to base their decision. 10of10ScoreShow me the money sitting in your account, show me your account so we can check annual deposits and withdrawals.
"Show me all , Mr Farang. Show me the love and wealth you bring to Thai. Tell me again why you love Thai. The tip jar is on my desk (wink)."
..."But we don't do that in my country. We don't give gratuities for you to do your job"...
"Then F*ck off to your own country, Mr Farang. We hope you enjoy the remainder of your stay."

Funny thing is that you have purchased a house which assuredly would be worth THB 1 Million + on an 'open market' , but that doesn't count a damn towards your monetary humble pie invested in LOS either, does it ?

^^^

I think the "show me the money" trail is a more plausible route for Immigration to base their decision. 10of10Score
"Show me all , Mr Farang. Show me the love and wealth you bring to Thai. Tell me again why you love Thai. The tip jar is on my desk (wink)."

Funny thing is that you have purchased a house which assuredly would be worth THB 1 Million + on an 'open market' , but that doesn't count a damn towards your monetary humble pie invested in LOS either, does it ?

Ivor , exactly what I wrote (in bold)...wouldn't you know ?Booboo
Oh yes, of course...T.I.C. + Oops5

So, they want your fraudulent (as they say) embassy letter and document of proof of the above bank statements. Just makes no sense, but who am I to question.

Does anyone ever get that funny feeling we are not really wanted here.

PS Why would anyone in Thai government give a rats arse if a widow did not report the death of a farang spouse to a foreign pension fund.? and since when did Thailand bend to pressure on such a mediocre issue. "Oh Thailand can you change your visa laws because ...." SURE

Last edited:
PS Why would anyone in Thai government give a rats arse if a widow did not report the death of a farang spouse to a foreign pension fund.? and since when did Thailand bend to pressure on such a mediocre issue. "Oh Thailand can you change your visa laws because ...." SURE

I was only repeating what I was told!

^^^

Ivor , exactly what I wrote (in bold)...wouldn't you know ?Booboo
Oh yes, of course...T.I.C. + Oops5

I find it hard to believe that someone of your experience coffee, would use the words Thailand ("LOS") and "invested" in the same breath, sentence, post or conversation.

It was NOT documentation i and others were asked for....we had all that...the documetation was deemed fake for one reason....now put your thinking caps on..for the last time on this thread...sorry co-co, all my t,s and i,s were done as normal..you know me.

I think I am getting your drift......... eventually.

I find it hard to believe that someone of your experience coffee, would use the words Thailand ("LOS") and "invested" in the same breath, sentence, post or conversation.

Profoundly deep co-co, very deep. Chokdee5

I think you guys are losing me, too many innuendos and 'double entendres'. FFS why can't you speak in plain English? Too many secret handshakes around for sure - I was never in the Masons.

I suspect Nomad that members are being careful to criticise certain government types and rightly so.

Just as an example, I believe an Immigration Officer looks on here, as a non member, by random (off-duty) conversations that I had with them over few beers.

Last edited:
Back