learning thai in Surin

Would also like an answer to that, I'm struggling trying different methods but think a school might be the answer for me as well. Help anyone, any experience or knowledge??

Soi 6 in down in Pattaya has some great teachers ..f**k_Dog ..

Yeah, but the sounds there sound the same in English as in Thai...not much help!

Seriously, though, I have struggled with Rosetta and a couple others, not much good to me. As a youngster I picked up languages very quickly, spoke Spanish fluently and lived in Ethiopia and learned Amharic quickly there, but I am feeling pretty stupid here after two years full-time here just knowing a bunch of words and how to count.

Anyone serious out there with some advice? There must be schools, how about you teachers? Know anyone?

Do you have free time during the day? Why not go to a small village school? Offer to teach the kids for free for a couple of hours and learn off them.

I say this because a lot of the Thai I picked up originally came from my time teaching. You teach the kids a few words or sentences and then get the Thai meaning from them.

Learning to read also helps. It enables you to use a Thai/English or English/Thai dictionary to find the meanings of words yourself.

At one of my previous schools I taught 4 and 5 year olds. In my free periods I sat at the back of the class when the kids were being taught the Thai alphabet and sounds. In my honest opinion Thai is alot easier to read that English. Especially as a second language.

Once you have got the basics it's easy, as long as you use it. I would say that I now spend about 80 per cent of my time speaking Thai. Still learning something everyday.

Excellent suggestion, and since I live in a small village, it has a small village school, and I have free time during the day...what the heck is wrong with me?

Thanks Stevo, I think I'll put this plan into action right away.
thankyou5

Thanks also Stevo , i will consult the missus and ask her to
speak to her old school on my behalf, see if they have any
objections.

cheers

Just a side note here......I would actually find it more useful to learn Khmer rather than Thai. My wife, my step-daughter, all their family and friends speak Khmer all the time. I guess this must apply to other guys in the area.
The little bit I have already learned I find easier than Thai...I can hear what people are saying more easily as there are many more audible consonants and less vowels.
When I eventually move full time to Surin I will be looking for Khmer classes!!

JohnB

I too live in a Khmer speaking village. I too am picking it up. The problem with Khmer is not being able to use it all the time. Many people in town will not speak it. There is also no written version. Leave southern Issan for some reason and you have to start again.

Learn both together. Try to speak Khmer to those that speak it and Thai to those that don't.

Any Laos or Guay speakers want to join in?ThumbUp6

I emailed Atita who has replied. She is still doing one on one teaching Thai. I will follow up and when I have more info and will post on here soon.

Did you ask her any price info? You mentioned first lesson free, I'm interested, but very curious of the cost.

Thanks

I used to get lessons about 8 years ago and it was 250 baht an hour,one on one, 2 hour sessions 500Baht a go... Learned alot in 3 months, lessons every second day, more or less,in the comfort of my home,well worth it I thought for me. Not by this person but another Thai who was French Educated,spoke great english and was able to teach the language from both sides of the fence... who resided in Surin till his death 4 years ago.........

I know of a women in Surin who has taught English; she helped my wife and I with communicating to each other when we first met, she also gave our kids there first English lessons prior to coming to the US and did translation for the Farangs (my family) that came to our wedding in Surin. Her name is Miss Wee; she likes to talk ALLOT. She also is very Christian and is proud to tell you about it. Her English is broken but is easy to understand. If you would like for me to contact her and ask her if she could help you I will; plus if she can't she might know someone who can. Let me know if you would like for me to contact her. If you have contact info please let me know and I can forward it to her if she is up for the task.

Good Luck,
Matt

Teach Thai in Surin

Hello,
I'm Atita. I'm teach Thai. This is my Thai language courses information
Thai Language Courses

By Atita

Private Courses.

Private (one to one ) lesson

Tuition for Thai language private lesson
special promotion now!!

4,500 baht / 15 lessons (300 naht / lesson)   
8,100 baht / 30 lessons (270 baht / lesson) 
12,000 baht / 60 lessons (200 baht / lesson)  
15,300 baht / 90 lessons (170 baht / lesson)  
22,500 baht / 150 lessons (150baht / lesson)    

Week day open 8 am – 8 pm, Saturday Sunday open 8 am - 5 pm. One-on-one lessons run seven days a week. We are able to arrange at your convenience

You take lesson with friend, it becomes further 15 % discount from the tuition of a private lesson. Let’s start Thai language lesson in Surin. If you can not decide to start Thai language lesson in this period,
Please feel free to contact us, and ask any question.

In addition, you could change your schedule along with your plan.
The student who often need to change schedule can change it at ease.
(Please contact us by 17 o'clock of the day before at the schedule change. )

Feature of Thai language private lesson
Private lesson is a class of 1 student and 1 teacher.
And you can learn Thai language along with your purpose.
A lesson is 45 minutes, and all native Thai teacher can speak English.
Moreover, same teacher take care your lessons, and the teacher can find your weak point in Thai language.
For the person who prefer take short-term Thai language lesson ,need to change schedule often , we recommend a private lesson.

Atita 083-7362816, teachthai44@gmail.com

Back