Legalization of certificate of marriage (US)

Damn. I've never been married here.

Once in the USA was enough. :p

Maybe one day I will. No rush particularly with the epidemic in full swing.
My darling owns and has legal access to everything in Thailand... so really wtf...my Will will dictate Stateside once I'm deceased.
Keep life simple
Good idea!

Same could be said about lending money. I remember when you were a newbie in Surin and got caught out whilst helping someone else.

I have loaned money in Thailand a number of times to friends. Amounts between ฿200.00 and ฿120,000.00. Funnily enough (although there were sometimes delays in repayment) the only default was the ฿200.00 to Submarine John. Submarine John is not a friend anymore.

If the Boss lady told me that.
Then she is wrong and you are now running Surin Immigration.
When you tell someone they are wrong.
Come out and say why.
As you recently told me.
To finish what one says. Or words to that affect
Please practice what you preach.
No I am not smarter than the average Kiwi.
What did I say or do to upset you?
I knew that wold get your goat. ;;big smile;; This is what you right. Your wife is correct. "Surin Immigration is now in Surin." you can still go to Surin Imigration in Kap Choeng. And Surin Immigrating in KC still has the Lt Colonel in-charge both KC Muang Surin AND the dreaded Suppression Unit is out of KC and if our friend Yorky every gets the computer reporting to work it out of KC and ran by the Suppression Unit. BTW Surin City Imigration is location you should use.
My Thai wife and I were married in 2019 in USA per USA requirements. We want to 'register' our marriage in Thailand so we can switch from 'retirement' to 'marriage' long term visa renewal.

We have worked our official, sealed Certificate of Marriage up the authentication chain, State seal, US State Department seal, and now have submitted it to the Thai Consulate General in Los Angeles for what they call 'legalization'.

The question is what further steps we must take in Thailand. My wife says we must go to the office near Don Muang and get an official translation, and also submit it there to the 'legal' office before taking all the paper to our local Surin officials. This seems excessive and redundant to me. However, once we get home to Surin, going back to Bangkok is not easy. We already have an official translation of the Certificate of Marriage itself.

Can anyone give guidance as to the process required? We spend our winters at my wife's home near Rattanaburi, Surin. We normally get my annual visa renewal at the Surin Immigration office in Chong Chom, which has been quicker and easier than Bangkok, as the office is small.
You do not go to Chong Chom. You go to Kap Choeng . There is only a crossing at Chong Chom and it is CLOSED.

Last edited:
Damn. I've never been married here.

Once in the USA was enough. :p

Maybe one day I will. No rush particularly with the epidemic in full swing.
My darling owns and has legal access to everything in Thailand... so really wtf...my Will will dictate Stateside once I'm deceased.
My strategy exactly. Everything Thai to wife, everything USA per Living Trust. Keep it simple

"Fool me once shame on you.
Fool me twice..."
I will only lend to my very closest of true friends. Ones who are solid that I totally trust to repay in a fairly timely manner. Close friends who I know would feel embarrassed and shamed not to pay back and would do ALL they can to pay back, even in installments if necessary. And never lend to someone who is drunk when asking. They tend to forget borrowing in their later drunken 'black out' recovery.

Fooled once still means you lost money. Best not to do to begin with.

I knew that wold get your goat. ;;big smile;; This is what you right. Your wife is correct. "Surin Immigration is now in Surin." you can still go to Surin Imigration in Kap Choeng. And Surin Immigrating in KC still has the Lt Colonel in-charge both KC Muang Surin AND the dreaded Suppression Unit is out of KC and if our friend Yorky every gets the computer reporting to work it out of KC and ran by the Suppression Unit. BTW Surin City Imigration is location you should use.

You do not go to Chong Chom. You go to Kap Choeng . There is only a crossing at Chong Chom and it is CLOSED.
Totally correct info. If you can understand the mangled English spelling and punctuation. :) When it comes to visa issues I have found GotLost to be nearly 100% on the money and correct every time.

I know GL's mangled English and his propensity for odd humor and 'ball busting' as we Yanks say, can be a bit strenuous to 'get' at times, well, most times, but his info is always spot on. He also likes to tease and stir the shit often. I don't know why some take that seriously. He's a jokester and a prankster really, it's just that some don't understand and take it too seriously. A fairly international board such as this has humor coming from differing cultures. And not all always to one's particular taste.

And I'll add his jab humor about the Sinovac, '****** ****' as he has titled it, has actually become part of the board's lexicon. Being used lately by a few members now when talking about the Sinovac. I find that highly amusing. LOL :)

Lighten up people.

And best advice...as with Las Vegas, business and pleasure..."Only spend what you can afford to lose." ;-)

I used to put a shilling on the horses around '66. I didn't win much nor did I lose much. Waste of time and effort in my opinion. Since then, my only "gambling" was as part of a syndicate for the UK McAlpine office. I won bugger all there either. Just used to send my cheque for £26.00 every year.

As an aside, I was asked by management (of which I was one) to sign a declaration to state that I would not jack should the syndicate win the lottery. I didn't, of course.

Thanks to all for the advice. I had not realized that renewing a marriage visa is more complex. The difference between 800,000 and 400,000 on deposit doesn't really matter to me, so perhaps as advised I may just stick with 'retirement visa'. As with 'Coffee', my Thai wife owns everything in Thailand, and nothing in USA. I do need to get a new account (perhaps with K-Bank rather than Bangkok Bank, as K-Bank is my wife's bank) that solely belongs to me, but has my wife as beneficiary (assuming you can do this in Thailand as in USA). Word on the street is that otherwise, good luck getting Bangkok Bank to give the 800,000 to my wife when I die.

Totally correct info. If you can understand the mangled English spelling and punctuation. :) When it comes to visa issues I have found GotLost to be nearly 100% on the money and correct every time.

I know GL's mangled English and his propensity for odd humor and 'ball busting' as we Yanks say, can be a bit strenuous to 'get' at times, well, most times, but his info is always spot on. He also likes to tease and stir the shit often. I don't know why some take that seriously. He's a jokester and a prankster really, it's just that some don't understand and take it too seriously. A fairly international board such as this has humor coming from differing cultures. And not all always to one's particular taste.

And I'll add his jab humor about the Sinovac, '****** ****' as he has titled it, has actually become part of the board's lexicon. Being used lately by a few members now when talking about the Sinovac. I find that highly amusing. LOL :)

Lighten up people.
Very true. Us Brits tend to joke about anything and everything even when it is the most darkest.
Didn't mention it on the 9/11 thread but for instance, when Diana died, Freddie Mercury and lots more, within seconds, there was funny comments coming out on social media. We are famous for laughing about our country and it's dark history too.

G/L Has been a great help to me on a number of occasions. For which I very much appreciate.
No! I do not grasp american humour. Never have. Many are the same as me.
English humour.
I love it.
Kiwi and Aussie humour which is very much the same. Many others cannot grasp that either
So me thinks I will have to throw some Kiwi humour back at G/L
My saying is: Smile and the World will Smile with you.
Okay G/L. Tit for Tat.

I would like to point out.
The Big Boss Lady told my wife that they do not want anyone from Surin going to Kap Cheong to do visa extensions.
Two reasons why: That is one of the reasons they opened the office in Surin to be used
The other she said was. She needs to sign off the visa's and does not go to Kap Cheong every day and that could be a problem for us getting our passports back while we are there.
She was very pleasant and polite.

I would like to point out.
The Big Boss Lady told my wife that they do not want anyone from Surin going to Kap Cheong to do visa extensions.
Two reasons why: That is one of the reasons they opened the office in Surin to be used
The other she said was. She needs to sign off the visa's and does not go to Kap Cheong every day and that could be a problem for us getting our passports back while we are there.
She was very pleasant and polite.
Would you mind specifying a little when you say Surin. Do you mean ,Province or City?

You see, that is why the Thais always say Mueng Surin or just mueng in relation to Surin city. When you just say Surin. It means the province. So which one is it?
Bye the way the boss not being there does not effect those of us on extention based on marriage. Also you always get your passport back, it just means you may have to return when she is in the office next.

Thanks to all for the advice. I had not realized that renewing a marriage visa is more complex. The difference between 800,000 and 400,000 on deposit doesn't really matter to me, so perhaps as advised I may just stick with 'retirement visa'. As with 'Coffee', my Thai wife owns everything in Thailand, and nothing in USA. I do need to get a new account (perhaps with K-Bank rather than Bangkok Bank, as K-Bank is my wife's bank) that solely belongs to me, but has my wife as beneficiary (assuming you can do this in Thailand as in USA). Word on the street is that otherwise, good luck getting Bangkok Bank to give the 800,000 to my wife when I die.
Commenting purely on bank beneficiaries. Not possible here in Thailand. Best you can do is have a joint account.*** Thai banks will not hand over money to a wife (or indeed anyone) whether named in a Will or not. Thai probate is needed, and depending where you are and which crooked lawyer you use, can cost 20 -60,000baht. Illegal, but invariably done after death is for your wife to slowly drain your bank account with either an ATM card (if she knows the PIN) or internet banking. Note fixed deposit accounts have no ATM card. *** Note also that joint accounts are not permissible for visa extensions

Commenting purely on bank beneficiaries. Not possible here in Thailand. Best you can do is have a joint account.*** Thai banks will not hand over money to a wife (or indeed anyone) whether named in a Will or not. Thai probate is needed, and depending where you are and which crooked lawyer you use, can cost 20 -60,000baht. Illegal, but invariably done after death is for your wife to slowly drain your bank account with either an ATM card (if she knows the PIN) or internet banking. Note fixed deposit accounts have no ATM card. *** Note also that joint accounts are not permissible for visa extensions

Sorry Nick. This is not what Surin Lawyer Chalong explained with the court stamped signed document that conveys my accounts directly to a Thai person after my death.
I understand that might take time at the bank and yes- assuredly a lawyer would be involved in that transfer.

As for any distributions from my estate stateside that is within my (registered with State) Will for my executor to handle.

No problem my accounts with Bangkok Bank in Kap Choeng and 1 account is in my name only BUT we were together and asked that question. We had show my passport her ID card and our marriage certificate. When i die she gets what in my book. O Yea of little faith

Sorry Nick. This is not what Surin Lawyer Chalong explained with the court stamped signed document that conveys my accounts directly to a Thai person after my death.
I understand that might take time at the bank and yes- assuredly a lawyer would be involved in that transfer.

As for any distributions from my estate stateside that is within my (registered with State) Will for my executor to handle.
Interesting Coffee. Have dealt with many local widows with husbands accounts at Thai banks. Admittedly none had a signed document (presumably signed by husband) before death, but when asked about nominating beneficiaries ahead of death, was told no way, other than a joint account. Needs further enquiry.. And if such a document is acceptable as you (or Chalong) suggest, I see no reason why the wife cannot deal with the matter alone at the bank taking her birth and marriage certificates along to prove identity.. Lawyers in the background cost money!

Back