Legalization of certificate of marriage (US)

Interesting Coffee. Have dealt with many local widows with husbands accounts at Thai banks. Admittedly none had a signed document (presumably signed by husband) before death, but when asked about nominating beneficiaries ahead of death, was told no way, other than a joint account. Needs further enquiry.. And if such a document is acceptable as you (or Chalong) suggest, I see no reason why the wife cannot deal with the matter alone at the bank taking her birth and marriage certificates along to prove identity.. Lawyers in the background cost money!

I did what I thought was right.
Of course I don't know what will happen after my death...so hopefully we all have a long time to find out...(surely I can't be bothered. ;-)

Interesting Coffee. Have dealt with many local widows with husbands accounts at Thai banks. Admittedly none had a signed document (presumably signed by husband) before death, but when asked about nominating beneficiaries ahead of death, was told no way, other than a joint account. Needs further enquiry.. And if such a document is acceptable as you (or Chalong) suggest, I see no reason why the wife cannot deal with the matter alone at the bank taking her birth and marriage certificates along to prove identity.. Lawyers in the background cost money!
In the event of my sudden death, I have always told my wife to use my Internet banking apps, or my ATM debit card, to withdraw money from my accounts, both here and in the UK. Illegal? I expect so. But it serves a purpose. In the event of not so sudden death, I would hope to have sufficient time to 'neutralise' my accounts myself.

True story.
Man had a debillitating stroke. Wife cleaned out all of his accounts.
He lost everything house and vehicle inclusive (except his life).
His kids got their embassy involved.
Wife wound up with a prison term and he wound up in the village possibly "being cared for" by in-law family.
An embassy-chosen representitive acts as trustee towards doling out his monthly pension.
F**king sad, innit.

In the event of my sudden death, I have always told my wife to use my Internet banking apps, or my ATM debit card, to withdraw money from my accounts, both here and in the UK. Illegal? I expect so. But it serves a purpose. In the event of not so sudden death, I would hope to have sufficient time to 'neutralise' my accounts myself.
Thats the line I adopt and pass on to others. Only fear is, and I can assure you it does happen, is that armed with ATM Pin numbers and internet passwords. wives/partners do sometimes help themselves to accounts long before death is anticipated. Best way it to let them know the location of ATM cards, but give the PIN numbers to a trusted 3rd party, so that the 2 can come together after death.

Make sure to renew ATM cards well before their expiry date....had 3 cases in the past year when the ATM card had expired when the widow got round to withdrawing money

Thats the line I adopt and pass on to others. Only fear is, and I can assure you it does happen, is that armed with ATM Pin numbers and internet passwords. wives/partners do sometimes help themselves to accounts long before death is anticipated. Best way it to let them know the location of ATM cards, but give the PIN numbers to a TRUSTED 3rd party, so...

SERIOUSLY if one doesn't trust their partner or wife aren't they just playing a foolish game ?

To each their own, eh.

SERIOUSLY if one doesn't trust their partner or wife aren't they just playing a foolish game ?

To each their own, eh.
I trust my wife explicitly. She already knows all my personal banking details. It is written down in a fact sheet. She is welcome to access my accounts at any time. In fact, I welcome it. Then she understands she already has all my money and does not ask for more! :) :) :)

Thats the line I adopt and pass on to others. Only fear is, and I can assure you it does happen, is that armed with ATM Pin numbers and internet passwords. wives/partners do sometimes help themselves to accounts long before death is anticipated. Best way it to let them know the location of ATM cards, but give the PIN numbers to a trusted 3rd party, so that the 2 can come together after death.

Make sure to renew ATM cards well before their expiry date....had 3 cases in the past year when the ATM card had expired when the widow got round to withdrawing money

In my case a current ATM card would be an advantage however, internet banking would suffice if the ATM card expires.

Would you mind specifying a little when you say Surin. Do you mean ,Province or City?

You see, that is why the Thais always say Mueng Surin or just mueng in relation to Surin city. When you just say Surin. It means the province. So which one is it?
Bye the way the boss not being there does not effect those of us on extention based on marriage. Also you always get your passport back, it just means you may have to return when she is in the office next.
The main Immigration Office ii a few ks out of Surin.
Perhaps someone else can give you as to how many ks.
It is not in Surin City itself.
They posted my passport back to me

Totally correct info. If you can understand the mangled English spelling and punctuation. :) When it comes to visa issues I have found GotLost to be nearly 100% on the money and correct every time.

I know GL's mangled English and his propensity for odd humor and 'ball busting' as we Yanks say, can be a bit strenuous to 'get' at times, well, most times, but his info is always spot on. He also likes to tease and stir the shit often. I don't know why some take that seriously. He's a jokester and a prankster really, it's just that some don't understand and take it too seriously. A fairly international board such as this has humor coming from differing cultures. And not all always to one's particular taste.

And I'll add his jab humor about the Sinovac, '****** ****' as he has titled it, has actually become part of the board's lexicon. Being used lately by a few members now when talking about the Sinovac. I find that highly amusing. LOL :)

Lighten up people.

Interesting Coffee. Have dealt with many local widows with husbands accounts at Thai banks. Admittedly none had a signed document (presumably signed by husband) before death, but when asked about nominating beneficiaries ahead of death, was told no way, other than a joint account. Needs further enquiry.. And if such a document is acceptable as you (or Chalong) suggest, I see no reason why the wife cannot deal with the matter alone at the bank taking her birth and marriage certificate himself)s along to prove identity.. Lawyers in the background cost money!
Chalong should know Nick...he's the only Notary Public in Thailand.(according to himself)!
But, he's a great lawyer when he represents a client making a false claim against you. Friggin loser!

Last edited by a moderator:
He told me he wasn't (many years ago). Perhaps he's shelled out a few bob since?
I looked into some years ago about getting my Notary of the Public license in the states, Massholechusetts to be exact. What a pain and costly. And I never did figure out if I could use it in Thailand. US Embassy does it though for us Yanks. For like 50 bucks I think it is.

Supposedly not from what I have heard. Though he claims to be.
He wasn't 5/6 years ago, when he claimed to be and "notarised" documents for a dying woman I was helping with financial matters. He was found out by the UK courts and I made him not only refund the payment he had taken but also pay the extra to bring in a proper notary -just in time. Fortunately we now have a notary in Prakhonchai.

The main Immigration Office ii a few ks out of Surin.
Perhaps someone else can give you as to how many ks.
It is not in Surin City itself.
They posted my passport back to me
The Immigration Office is on the 3rd floor of the new Surin Service Center. It is as the crow flies, 6 kilometers due south from the center of Surin City, on the 293 ring road.

1631348667658.png

He told me he wasn't (many years ago). Perhaps he's shelled out a few bob since?

I never utilised him for any notarial services, just for contactual service involving a land purchase and to have a Thai citizen "quit claim" their rightful ownership to that property.

The former farang husband had been screwed over royally and Lawyer Chalong had come to his rescue against a Thai spouse providing him with peace of mind and monies from the sale.

On both respects he represented only the interests of his clients.
Isn't that what a lawyer is supposed to do ?

Back