Milky Mushrooms

And 3 days further on we have mushrooms ready to harvest. So the answer to how long does it take? 40 days.

Attachments

• PICT0006.JPG
    PICT0006.JPG
    355.3 KB · Views: 0
  • PICT0010.JPG
    PICT0010.JPG
    280.7 KB · Views: 0
  • PICT0002.JPG
    PICT0002.JPG
    685.6 KB · Views: 0
And getting bigger

What a dilemma! How big will it get versus what does it taste like? At 5" diameter maybe it is big enough? Gets any bigger and I may need help eating it. What is a man to do?

Attachments

• PICT0005.JPG
    PICT0005.JPG
    473.2 KB · Views: 0
Just gotta taste these

This evening I harvested the four largest mushrooms in the lastest picture. In total that was 700 grams of mushroom. A few skype calls tomorrow early to Australian family then breakfast.

This evening I harvested the four largest mushrooms in the lastest picture. In total that was 700 grams of mushroom. A few skype calls tomorrow early to Australian family then breakfast.

Let me know how they taste, looks like a nice business for the missus, again not large scale, mushrooms to eat and some pocket money..

Good enough to eat

Heres a shot of the wife holding the first mushroom. Can't report on the taste yet, there are still a few locals who have to see the mushrooms and the lucky numbers have to be collected. Maybe tonight?

Attachments

• Snapshot_20130609_1.JPG
    Snapshot_20130609_1.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 0
Wow! mate there big , how much a kilo ??

I'm in Si Sa Ket on wednesday tony maybe i'll come and have a look, will you be in this time 555.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! mate there big , how much a kilo ??

I'm in Si Sa Ket on wednesday tony maybe i'll come and have a look, will you be in this time 555.

They can get much bigger but I figure 5 to 6" is about right. I doubt we will get much above the local Talat market 150 baht a kilo. Dream about the Tesco price for shitake at 35 baht for 100 grams.
No plans to go anywhere on Wednesday.

Today we harvested all the mushrooms that were of reasonable size to start selling. A total of 41 mushrooms at an average of 130 grams. The bed yielded 5.3 kg from 34 bags flushing out of 60 in the bed. Too early for any conclusions and as the first bed, dangerous to draw any as we are still learning and definitely over watered some of the bags.
I cooked some in a little oil to get a basic idea of taste. Chicken? Go figure!
What I need to know is what size does our local market like. So for what it is worth, that's the progress to date.

There sure is a lot to learn. Our growing environment is different to many people and I am adapting. The larger sizes are really good in soups and curries as they maintain their size and texture with longer cooking. The smaller ones are my personal preference.

There sure is a lot to learn. Our growing environment is different to many people and I am adapting. The larger sizes are really good in soups and curries as they maintain their size and texture with longer cooking. The smaller ones are my personal preference.

Just read all the posts on the mushrooms, thanks for all the info and photos IA, very interesting indeed.

Today I made two mass cased beds. This is where you remove the plastic bags and put casing material over the whole mass. Motive - Giant mushrooms. Instead of having 60 8" bags sitting beside each other, I now have two blocks of mycelium 2 metres long.

Yesterday the first white dots started to appear on the massed cased beds, pins coming, soon mushrooms. I will get a photo when they are big enough to see. So far it is proving much easier to get the moisture right on the massed casing than it has been with the individual bags. Learning fast (hopefully)...

Today I made two mass cased beds. This is where you remove the plastic bags and put casing material over the whole mass. Motive - Giant mushrooms. Instead of having 60 8" bags sitting beside each other, I now have two blocks of mycelium 2 metres long.

Well here is the result of mass casing. This bunch weighed in at 600 grams.

Attachments

• Snapshot_20130722_1.JPG
    Snapshot_20130722_1.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 0
Biggest Harvest in a day

Today we we harvested the biggest mushroom (over 10 inch diameter) and the largest total weight so far. That much I know, yet to get the scales out and do the numbers but know it is an early start to the local market in the morning.

Getting bigger 750grams

This mushroom was grown in one of the DIY boxes we are starting to sell for 250 baht a box. It actually surprised me that it would grow that big.
Anyone would like more details drop me a note on this thread or a PM.

Attachments

• Snapshot_20130814_2.JPG
    Snapshot_20130814_2.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 0
This mushroom was grown in one of the DIY boxes we are starting to sell for 250 baht a box. It actually surprised me that it would grow that big.
Anyone would like more details drop me a note on this thread or a PM.

What's involved in a DIY box. Just buy, water and wait?
Interested to know more and also practicalities of delivery/collection if purchased.

The box (currently Leo Boxes because there seem to be a few around our place comes with the grow bag containing the substrate and casing already in place. When you get it you simply open the box and the plastic grow bag. Pull the plastic bag vertical and then put an elastic band around the top so that about an inch hole is open for gasexchange but not enough to let too much moisture out. Then wait, 5 to 7 days pins will appear, another five to seven days and the mushrooms are ready. You let the box sit for 5 days. Water the casing material and put the rubber band back and wait for the second flush.
Sound easy enough?
As for delivery, I can stick the box on a regional bus for single orders. If there is a group of people wanting them then I will deliver to a convenient watering hole and run everyone through the process. Open to suggestions, Sisaket, Ubon or Surin are fine for delivery, Buri Ram is getting a bit far. I am in Sisaket.

Back