Monday 1 June 2015

I've always liked Mukdahan, partly because it has no farang nightlife! Don't expect too much of the market; I think it has gone down since it went underground (pun intended).

The restaurant which gets rave reviews is Mukdahan Manor, which is three or four miles south along the Mekong. I've not been there, but suspect it is farang food.

If you find a good place for breakfast, let me know. I usually stay at the cheapie hotel Huanam, near the old immigration office; fairly basic, but very clean, and nice people. They used to serve a simple breakfast, but found it didn't pay, so they discontinued it.

enjoy the drive

From the Riverfront Hotel and Underground Market you can gaze across the Mekong at a fairly new resort with a nice pool and spa.
Basically a boutique-type of place in case the Soviet and Chinese tourists began flocking through Savannakhet.
Built approx seven years ago I believe it's named the Dao Savanh Hotel & Resort.
Rooms are still rather easy to come by.

Though Nomad - you would have to relinquish your 16-dreary-old Thai Immigr Arrival Card at the Friendship Bridge.
Assuredly you would receive more than a cursory 'once-over' by the Officers.

Best to stay on the Thai side as THB 40 for a delicious large Lao Beer and fresh baked french baguettes along with the 'quiet-tude' of watching the Mekong on its never-ending journey south would spoil you.

Face it, SWMBO requires a retail trip to Mukdahan which has tons of stuff.
(You might want to inquire if this might be the right time to rent a truck.)
The chedi and wat was to keep you busy planning the trip.
She's a smart one that's best to keep happy as she'll see you through thick 'n thin Hug1
(In your particular case I'll delete the thought of 'thin'.)

I've always liked Mukdahan, partly because it has no farang nightlife! Don't expect too much of the market; I think it has gone down since it went underground (pun intended).

The restaurant which gets rave reviews is Mukdahan Manor, which is three or four miles south along the Mekong. I've not been there, but suspect it is farang food.

If you find a good place for breakfast, let me know. I usually stay at the cheapie hotel Huanam, near the old immigration office; fairly basic, but very clean, and nice people. They used to serve a simple breakfast, but found it didn't pay, so they discontinued it.

The Riverfront Hotel was excellent value for money. We booked two connecting rooms and were very pleasantly surprised by how spacious they were, lovely and clean and with a very efficient air conditioning system. About 1500 Baht per night with breakfast included. The breakfast was okay but Thai orientated not Farang. Very good for a family of 4 with 2 young children and excellent for the wife to go shopping with the market right outside the hotel front door. She tells me there are better bargains to be had from the shops on the side of the road rather than the underground market. In fact, she reckons the underground market buy their stocks from the on-street shops.

We did book a table at the Mukdahan Manor for the second evening and that was great. It is the private residence of an Australian and his wife and the house, pool and surrounds are built to a very high standard. It sits on the riverbank and I would think the day time views are excellent. The food was delicious, fried rice with prawns, 1/6 dozen scallops, bbq pork, stir fried beef and for moi, a 300 gram Thai steak with vegetables and mashed potatoes. More expensive Australian and Wagyū steak was also available. Not expensive at 1350 Baht for a family of 4 with 3 beers included in the bill. I would guess that is the place for breakfast and I would think at 1,400 baht per night per room with breakfast for two included would be very good value for most travelers.

See: http://mukdahan-manor.com/index.html

I was very surprised by the pace of life in Mukdahan - so slow! Once we traveled past Ta Tum and on the road to Yasothon the traffic got progressively less and less. Once past Yasothon on the on the way to Mukdahan we almost had the road to ourselves. Very easy driving. Mukdahan Province has a population of less than 400,000 and is ranked as the 52nd largest in Thailand. In contrast, Surin Province has a population of nearly 1.5 million and is ranked 10th largest. It shows. That said, Mukdahan sports a large Lotus-Tesco, a very large Big C shopping mall and a newly opened Robinson's. I am told much of their business comes from day trippers from Savannakhet. And of course we had an afternoon trip to the famed temple at That Phanon. All in all, a very good trip to a lovely part of the country. Thoroughly recommended for a relaxing break away from Surin.

P.S. Don't expect to find a lively night life - I don't think there is one.

P.P.S. We ventured south some 15 kilometers to visit the Mukdahan National Park. The admission price for Thais was 20 Baht for adults and 10 Baht for children. The admission price for 'all' foreigners was 200 Baht. I said words to the effect of "you know you can stick your admission fee right up your a#$@!", put the car into gear and turned around. It was very hot and I did not see why I had to pay 10 times as much as a Thai to go walkabouts to see some rocky outcrops. More to the point, I will not ever pay more than my wife to enter a Thai National Park and I didn't.

Last edited:
The Riverfront Hotel was excellent value for money. We booked two connecting rooms and were very pleasantly surprised by how spacious they were, lovely and clean and with a very efficient air conditioning system. About 1500 Baht per night with breakfast included. The breakfast was okay but Thai orientated not Farang. Very good for a family of 4 with 2 young children and excellent for the wife to go shopping with the market right outside the hotel front door. She tells me there are better bargains to be had from the shops on the side of the road rather than the underground market. In fact, she reckons the underground market buy their stocks from the on-street shops.

We did book a table at the Mukdahan Manor for the second evening and that was great. It is the private residence of an Australian and his wife and the house, pool and surrounds are built to a very high standard. It sits on the riverbank and I would think the day time views are excellent. The food was delicious, fried rice with prawns, 1/6 dozen scallops, bbq pork, stir fried beef and for moi, a 300 gram Thai steak with vegetables and mashed potatoes. More expensive Australian and Wagyū steak was also available. Not expensive at 1350 Baht for a family of 4 with 3 beers included in the bill. I would guess that is the place for breakfast and I would think at 1,400 baht per night per room with breakfast for two included would be very good value for most travelers.

See: http://mukdahan-manor.com/index.html

I was very surprised by the pace of life in Mukdahan - so slow! Once we traveled past Ta Tum and on the road to Yasothon the traffic got progressively less and less. Once past Yasothon on the on the way to Mukdahan we almost had the road to ourselves. Very easy driving. Mukdahan Province has a population of less than 400,000 and is ranked as the 52nd largest in Thailand. In contrast, Surin Province has a population of nearly 1.5 million and is ranked 10th largest. It shows. That said, Mukdahan sports a large Lotus-Tesco, a very large Big C shopping mall and a newly opened Robinson's. I am told much of their business comes from day trippers from Savannakhet. And of course we had an afternoon trip to the famed temple at That Phanon. All in all, a very good trip to a lovely part of the country. Thoroughly recommended for a relaxing break away from Surin.

P.S. Don't expect to find a lively night life - I don't think there is one.

P.P.S. We ventured south some 15 kilometers to visit the Mukdahan National Park. The admission price for Thais was 20 Baht for adults and 10 Baht for children. The admission price for 'all' foreigners was 200 Baht. I said words to the effect of "you know you can stick your admission fee right up your a#$@!", put the car into gear and turned around. It was very hot and I did not see why I had to pay 10 times as much as a Thai to go walkabouts to see some rocky outcrops. More to the point, I will not ever pay more than my wife to enter a Thai National Park and I didn't.

The hotel looks very good -- on their website it is up for sale !!?

And I agree 100% with your views on paying to get into anywhere Agreed1

thumbs up review

Nomad, a terrific and pleasant gastronomic review inclusive with the grande dame of Muktahan hostelry by a well-heeled English gentleman traveling with a young family in tow.

I can attest as to the dreamy pleasures of traveling in peaceful contemplation northeast from Surin through the rice paddies (particularly when they're green) up towards the mighty Mekong.
Just for kicks you may want to partake in a Thai movie one evening with your family (particularly since the EPL season is at rest). The comedic love-story , 'Yasothorn'.

With a full assortment of identifiable Isaan Thai sing-song village characters splendidly attired in bright colorful costumes along with verdant green visuals and panorama shot on location made this movie a hit.
It helps to have English subtitles for emphasis but even without I believe you may enjoy a nice laugh with your family and can easily understand the plot and character narratives. (The producers even released a Part 2 which was quite successful at the box office.)

So any pics forthcoming of the legendary That Phanom chedi and temple grounds that hold such a special significance ?

I agree with you Nomad.

I have PR, but still a couple of years ago at Nong Nooch, the young lad dishing out entry tickets refused to allow me in at the Thai price. His exact words "If you don't like it, FCUK off". I paid. Later I went to the office, (alone, as my wife does not like to be involved in any sort of altercation) where I was taken in to see the boss lady a Thanphuying - as near to royalty as you can get.

My money came back, the boy was ordered to the office,-and no doubt sacked- and my wife and I were given free tickets to the Nong Nooch private Loy Kratong party, which unfortunately we were unable to attend.

^^^ It's nice to make friends on your journey through life.

I wonder what village the boy was from.

I agree with refusing to pay the dual pricing thing as well. It is not done in the west you can imagine the outcry. It's not the price I baulk at it's the principle. We have covered this many times before all of us.

Thanks for the review NM, it has been some years since I was there last.

Coffee, Yam Yasotorn is one of my favourite movies and me and the wife still quote the one liners to each other. Specially the turn left at the red light one. It was a real take on the habit Thais have of saying, traffic lights in general are "The red light".

Back