Murder/Suicide at 7-11

My wife's niece is friends with the family of the man involved. As most of you would have guessed it was over a failed romance.......of course.

The couple have known each other for years and have been romantically involved up to a few weeks ago. It seems that the girl's parents felt she could and should do better, apparently the sinsod was set way out of the young man's limits. Not sure if the girl felt that way but she obviously tried to end it. He was head over heels in love with the girl

Everybody can't believe it of course as the young guy was such a "soft" person and was not at all bad or wild.

Quite tragic how quickly two bullets discharged from a .38 revolver changed that sad story of a broken romance to a critical situation that ultimately cost two people their lives.

The carnage resulting will have even deeper repercussions forthcoming betwixt the families both on a personal level and a legal one.
This is definitely not a Romeo & Juliet mistaken scenario.

Who knew ?
An initial step of inquiry would be to try to trace the revolver to its source of supply...whether within the familial home or from an outside source of supply.

A very poor choice was made by one young man given how this situation ended.
Possibly poor choices made by the families involved as well creating an unhealthy environment to properly deal with the breakup.

Thai Family involvement in 2 young peoples lives has over the years caused many problems, and nlw likely has resulted in 2 deaths.

I believe they were 24 years old. Old enough to decide if they were right for each other, without one set of parents saying she could do better (and no doubt insisting she dump him).

Sinsot also causes a lot of problems -enough to send a suitor on his way, or cause financial problems for the newlyweds for years to come. All total greed!

As a parent, I naturally worry about my kids, I will offer advice where necessary, but will not ruin a long term relationship for triviality nor sinsod.

My new prospective son in law just laughed when I suggested 2 million baht for my daughter. He bought me a beer. What more do I want than that my daughter should be happy!

Thai Family involvement in 2 young peoples lives has over the years caused many problems, and nlw likely has resulted in 2 deaths.

I believe they were 24 years old. Old enough to decide if they were right for each other, without one set of parents saying she could do better (and no doubt insisting she dump him).

Sinsot also causes a lot of problems -enough to send a suitor on his way, or cause financial problems for the newlyweds for years to come. All total greed!

As a parent, I naturally worry about my kids, I will offer advice where necessary, but will not ruin a long term relationship for triviality nor sinsod.

My new prospective son in law just laughed when I suggested 2 million baht for my daughter. He bought me a beer. What more do I want than that my daughter should be happy!

Nick I totally agree with you on this. As far as I'm concerned the Thai culture and the girls parents are as much if not more responsible for these two deaths.

......The girls parents are as much if not more responsible for these two deaths.

you don't half talk complete shite sometimes.

If, and thats a big if, the rumour is true that the girls parents were saying this boy wasn't good enough for their daughter,
In light of the fact that this lad clearly displayed signs of mental instability by shooting her and himself dead with a .38 revolver, I'd suggest that they were bloody spot on with their assessment!
Its not just a Thai thing, people all over the world want whats best for their kids. This a terrible tragedy, but to lay blame on the girls parents for these two deaths is bloody ludicrous at best.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, if he was so soft and nice... why did he have a 38 cal. revolver? And if he was head over heels in love with her... why did he kill her? I can't have her so nobody will? To teach the family a lesson? If she loved him as much as he supposedly loved her she would have gone against her family's wishes and married him anyway in a civil marriage. Just saying. I know the pressure Thai families can exert on their children, and their nearly Machiavellian machinations to get their way, but, to kill the one you love is not love.

you don't half talk complete shite sometimes.

If, and thats a big if, the rumour is true that the girls parents were saying this boy wasn't good enough for their daughter,
In light of the fact that this lad clearly displayed signs of mental instability by shooting her and himself dead with a .38 revolver, I'd suggest that they were bloody spot on with their assessment!
Its not just a Thai thing, people all over the world want whats best for their kids. This a terrible tragedy, but to lay blame on the girls parents for these two deaths is bloody ludicrous at best.

This is not the only country with a dowery system and if thats wanting better for your kids you can kiss my ass. This is nothing but pure greed thats built into the culture. Yes the parents are just as guilty by telling the man you want to f**k my daughter you pay. SICK and SICKER. Now this does not take the responsibility of the 24 year old man for pulling the trigger

This is not the only country with a dowery system and if thats wanting better for your kids you can kiss my ass. This is nothing but pure greed thats built into the culture. Yes the parents are just as guilty by telling the man you want to f**k my daughter you pay. SICK and SICKER. Now this does not take the responsibility of the 24 year old man for pulling the trigger

I can just imagine you on a Rape Topic GL....

Her parents are to blame, shouldn't have let her out in a mini skirt etc etc...

Same logic.

So your saying it is OK to demand a dowery or sinsot for ones daughter. and she was 24. shrug1

NO! In fact, I haven't even mentioned anything about Sinsot. I do have an issue with Sinsot, but then i recognise Sinsot as a Cultural Issuse, I certainly don't blame the girls parents for her being murdered, conditions aside that lad made the decision to blow her brains out at the end of the day, it wasn't his only option.

If a forum member was a parent of the murdered girl, would you have the same opinion? No, because there would be hell on.

How about women getting raped in the US? Because their parents and culture allow them to wear sexy clothes and make up, shall we have a dig at the victims parents?

I do not want to talk about the events of a couple of nights ago because I do not know the full story of even part of it.

However, on a personal basis I find the concept of Sinsot or dowry is against my principles of free love and marriage. That said, it is practiced by many cultures in many parts of the world, including I suspect certain Asian and Arab cultures living in the UK. Ironically my wife was talking about Sinsot the other day after she heard a close cousin's daughter was getting married later this year with a bride price of 800K. She said words to effect that she would expect a little bit more for her two daughters when they were old enough to get married. Was she joking or was she being serious? I guess only time will tell. I also know that my feelings will count for nothing and I will have to go with the flow. After all, this is what Thainess is all about, isn't it?

NO! In fact, I haven't even mentioned anything about Sinsot. I do have an issue with Sinsot, but then i recognise Sinsot as a Cultural Issuse, I certainly don't blame the girls parents for her being murdered, conditions aside that lad made the decision to blow her brains out at the end of the day, it wasn't his only option.

If a forum member was a parent of the murdered girl, would you have the same opinion? No, because there would be hell on.

How about women getting raped in the US? Because their parents and culture allow them to wear sexy clothes and make up, shall we have a dig at the victims parents?

Cut the pricks balls off then hang him.

I do not want to talk about the events of a couple of nights ago because I do not know the full story of even part of it.

However, on a personal basis I find the concept of Sinsot or dowry is against my principles of free love and marriage. That said, it is practiced by many cultures in many parts of the world, including I suspect certain Asian and Arab cultures living in the UK. Ironically my wife was talking about Sinsot the other day after she heard a close cousin's daughter was getting married later this year with a bride price of 800K. She said words to effect that she would expect a little bit more for her two daughters when they were old enough to get married. Was she joking or was she being serious? I guess only time will tell. I also know that my feelings will count for nothing and I will have to go with the flow. After all, this is what Thainess is all about, isn't it?

I know of a couple girls that got 1 million baht, one of them is Khmer, an english teacher and her husband is an electrician. I know of a local girl the got 7.5 million baht.Crazy1

Sorry Nomad, but I strongly disagree. Maybe off topic, but maybe not.

They are your daughters too. They almost certainly have British citizenship. If you disagree with dowry, then point blank say so and refuse it. I dont believe Thainess is going with the flow. It is mutual understanding and respect. By all means have 1 million baht displayed, but ensure it is just for show, to keep the neighbours quiet! Mrs Nomad has given up her shop. She no longer wears the trousers.:smile:

Whilst I am opposed to sinsod I cannot disagree that it is indeed cultural.

If your wife's 'culture' is stronger in her country than yours is then it is a fair point to accept their practices. After all, you are only here at the whim of immigration who can stop your permission to stay at any time.

Maybe Prakhonchai Nick, with permanent residence, feels he has a louder voice in Thailand.

Whilst I am opposed to sinsod I cannot disagree that it is indeed cultural.

If your wife's 'culture' is stronger in her country than yours is then it is a fair point to accept their practices. After all, you are only here at the whim of immigration who can stop your permission to stay at any time.

Maybe Prakhonchai Nick, with permanent residence, feels he has a louder voice in Thailand.

I am an equal Co-Co.

With mixed cultures, compromise is necessary, and if it cannot be achieved, then both aspects of different cultures should be dropped for harmony. My view.

It is somewhat different when it concerns husband and wife, than when it concerns the children. Again my view.

If our girls marry a Thai in Thailand then I expect Thai custom and practice will prevail. I agree the Sinsot will most likely be for show only for use by the happy bride and groom to get themselves started. If they marry a Farang in Farang Land then all Thainess goes out the window as far as I am concerned.

Back