Murder/Suicide at 7-11

Just a quick curved ball re sinsot.

I think nomad and Nick are both right in their views but I would also suggest that they will have done more for their offspring already - compared to the average Thai/Thai family.

sinsot

Along the lines of Social Security for the Thai mother & father.

As the man that will become the groom is taking her away to take care of himself and his parents the sinsot (sinsod) is paid to the parents of the bride.

Additionally, the off-spring from the marriage will theoretically take care of their parents
(the bride and groom) not the maternal grandparents.

So essentially the sinsot is a dowry as marriage is a business transaction.

In the case of farang marrying Thai bride the sinsot is far higher with monthly allowances , buying property, vehicles, extended family expenses and sometimes putting the bride into a fully-funded business operation ...not to mention passing on the farang's nest egg (incl pension) into Thai hands upon his death.

Regarding this particular sad story with two dead.
Another perspective on who he is , his family along with his relationship to the Thai girl has surfaced. Supposedly he took care of her while she attended and paid for this girl's university education. Upon graduation she decided upon a different direction in the relationship.

I won't go any further with the provided version as it's simply conjecture without any official narrative.
Villagers talking with the two families and the story getting passed down through various channels...which can create the basis of uncorroborated hearsay which simply becomes rumours based on ill-truths without a finding of fact.

I'm sure if you make inquiries from your own SWMBO there will be plenty of more narratives passed through the jungle vine along with FaceBook channels.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back