New farang teachers in place

J

johnb

This afternoon I went for my daily swim at the Majestic, my usual pool being green and closed for cleaning.

I had just finished my lengths when a group of 10 young folk wandered through to the changing rooms speaking English.

Engaging the 2 males in the group in conversation in the changing rooms, I discovered they are the new crop of EFL teachers at, presumably, Sirindthorn School. They told me they had arrived yesterday, had their first day in school today and were intent on cooling down in the Majestic Pool.

As a retired teacher with 40 years experience, I found it rather refreshing to be conversing with these young folk just at the start of their careers. It was quite funny that, when I asked them in which school they were working, they didn't yet know its name...well, they have only been here for 24 hours.

They all looked about 18 years old.

Hey-ho! Good luck to them all. The Surin kids will no doubt benefit from exposure to such a good group of young first language English speakers.

Johnb, You probably refrained and did not do what you wanted to, and offer them a word of advice, as they were starting out on their careers.
But what would it of been anyway?

Johnb, You probably refrained and did not do what you wanted to, and offer them a word of advice, as they were starting out on their careers.
But what would it of been anyway?

Hey Rice, though I ended up having a mainstream 40 year career, I drifted in to teaching at the beginning. These guys are right there, at the beginning.

For some of them it will turn out to be the start of a lifetime career....for others, probably the majority, it will be 6 months in Thailand before getting on with the rest of their lives.

Just hope, in the meantime, they have a positive impact hereabouts and I am confident they will.

This afternoon I went for my daily swim at the Majestic, my usual pool being green and closed for cleaning.

I had just finished my lengths when a group of 10 young folk wandered through to the changing rooms speaking English.

Engaging the 2 males in the group in conversation in the changing rooms, I discovered they are the new crop of EFL teachers at, presumably, Sirindthorn School. They told me they had arrived yesterday, had their first day in school today and were intent on cooling down in the Majestic Pool.

As a retired teacher with 40 years experience, I found it rather refreshing to be conversing with these young folk just at the start of their careers. It was quite funny that, when I asked them in which school they were working, they didn't yet know its name...well, they have only been here for 24 hours.

Hey-ho! Good luck to them all. The Surin kids will no doubt benefit from exposure to such a good group of young first language English speakers.

I suppose better late than never. The new Thai school year started in May, and half term will be upon them in a little over 4 weeks.

I suppose better late than never. The new Thai school year started in May, and half term will be upon them in a little over 4 weeks.
I think the teachers are provided by an agency who send them to Surin for a 12 week period (or something like that). So the group I met yesterday are probably taking over from a group who have completed their stint.
Westofhere will no doubt to able to confirm or correct this.

That's news to me as Sirindhorn School doesn't use agency volunteers, and I haven't seen any new blood on campus. It is probably Anuban as they are always hurting for English teachers and seem to have a revolving door every 6 months or so.

Surely thats the way it is in the west. Isn't that why most of us have deserted our homelands to enjoy the sylph like Asian women?

Regretfully many Thai ladies are following inthe footsteps of their western counterparts - too much Big Mac

That's news to me as Sirindhorn School doesn't use agency volunteers, and I haven't seen any new blood on campus. It is probably Anuban as they are always hurting for English teachers and seem to have a revolving door every 6 months or so.

I wonder if the answer to the above may possibly be referred to in my post no 3 ????

Possibly. I'll refrain from stating my opinion as to how i really feel about these so called "agencies" and the naive lot who allows themselves to be taken advantage of by them.

Thanks for clarifying that Westofhere. Good to know more about the situation in the schools hereabouts.

Yes, that is one of their attributes and a major attraction for us Western men. They have many other attractions over their Western counterparts but that would be going off topic to discus that now.

T.I.C. T.I.C.

I like track and field but I was never any good with a discus.

ooops >> Offtopic2.

Westie,

Possibly. I'll refrain from stating my opinion as to how i really feel about these so called "agencies" and the naive lot who allows themselves to be taken advantage of by them.

...you're refrain speaks volumes as U see it and live it every day.

I can't understand how it all works. How do they handle the Immigration question ?
Do these 'agency' teachers receive back-to-back 90 day tourist visas and then pay an overstay penalty upon departure ?
Along with the schools turning a blind eye ?

Simply Amazing Thailand. Four months until they're singing 'Jingle Bells' :smile:

...you're refrain speaks volumes as U see it and live it every day.

I can't understand how it all works. How do they handle the Immigration question ?
Do these 'agency' teachers receive back-to-back 90 day tourist visas and then pay an overstay penalty upon departure ?
Along with the schools turning a blind eye ?

Simply Amazing Thailand. Four months until they're singing 'Jingle Bells' :smile:

I'm not really sure how it works exactly, but I can guarantee that there are many palms being greased.

Back