New farang teachers in place

I'm not really sure how it works exactly, but I can guarantee that there are many palms being greased.

18 years old they could only be hear on double entry tourist visa by which a work permit is never and will not be issued. IF caught teaching they could be subject to a fine, jail time and deportation. With the new changes in the visa situation they would not get a new set of tourist visa as it would be apparent they are working. BTW read this http://www.surinfarang.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?18263-Language-schools-suffering

Regretfully many Thai ladies are following inthe footsteps of their western counterparts - too much Big Mac

More like too much white rice, sugar, noodles, etc. Most Thais do not go to McD's as they are not even available throughout much of Thailand outside of the tourist areas (though KFC seems to be everywhere). The fat Thais you are seeing are not getting fat from eating Big Macs.

The fat Thais you are seeing are not getting fat from eating Big Macs.

Well not yet anyway. That Hom Mali rice is the worst culprit. Hi GI and very little vitamin content. My extended family including myself only eat a variety of rice that the family has grown for generations. It is a low red tinged grain. It appears to be very low GI as it responds well to my wife's inherited diabetes. (I will get it tested one day).
The other as you mentioned are those damned dry noodles Ma Ma for a generic naming.
They are dried in manufacture by deep frying in palm oil. Oh that's the other one, bloody palm oil. Believe it or not white sugar is really not that bad a culprit.

As a retired teacher with 40 years experience, I found it rather refreshing to be conversing with these young folk just at the start of their careers. It was quite funny that, when I asked them in which school they were working, they didn't yet know its name...well, they have only been here for 24 hours.

They all looked about 18 years old.

Hey-ho! Good luck to them all. The Surin kids will no doubt benefit from exposure to such a good group of young first language English speakers.

Slightly off-topic maybe, (though not that many 18-year olds will have degrees) but I received the following email from one of the TEFL organisations a very short while ago who had previously thought that I might want a TEFL franchise. I think it is self explanatory, recognising the changes that unqualified applicants face in LOS, particularly in recent weeks:

From: mailer@infusionmail.com On Behalf Of Gabrielle Fisher
Sent: 19 August 2014 16:49
To:
Subject: No Degree, No Problem

Dear

With the recent political reforms that have been implemented in Thailand, there has been a crackdown on teachers without a degree. It has become increasingly difficult to find work in Thailand legally unless you hold a Degree in any subject.

If you do have a BA Degree, Thailand is CRYING OUT for teachers with a BA Degree and a TEFL certificate.

Don't have a Degree? Why not Teach English In Cambodia!!

http://bit.ly/TEFLCambodia

Cambodia is right next door to Thailand and a Degree is NOT required for teaching. A business visa can be purchased on arrival and extended for up to one year for under $300 USD, allowing you to work legally for as long as you wish.

Many non-degree students are now taking their TEFL training in Koh Samui Thailand, and then heading over to Cambodia to teach.

**Amazing Benefits of Teaching English In Cambodia**

? No Degree Required
? Discover What Thailand Was Like 30 Years Ago!
? Very Friendly and Welcoming Locals
? Huge Demand for English Teachers!
? Very Low Cost of Living (For example $0.50 for a beer & $100 per month for housing)
? Ease of Travel to and From Thailand
? Business Visa - can be bought on arrival and easily extended in the country
? Discover Angkor Wat - the world's largest religious monument
? Enjoy an Authentic Cultural Experience
? Year Round Warm Weather
? Enthusiastic and Eager to Learn Children
? Pristine, Palm-Fringed Beaches in Sihanoukville Waiting for You
? Experience the vibrant and charming city of Phnom Penh
? Easy, Laid-Back and Relaxed Lifestyle
? Apply Now before everyone else gets in there before you

Rob, embark on an authentic cultural experience by visiting the stunning splendours of Angkor Wat, explore the tropical, white-sandy beaches of Sihanoukville or the expanding freshwater lake of Tonle Sap. Immerse yourself in the bustling markets, lively nightlife and wonderful expat community of Phenom Phen or the quieter, quaint villages that line the riverfront.

At present, one of the major advantages of living and working in Cambodia is that Non-Degree holders are able to find work easily. There are plenty of Private Language, Local Government and Bilingual Schools to choose from, as well as Private Lessons that are available in abundance.

Apply Now before everyone else gets there before you.

Please do not hesitate to contact me should you have any further questions.

Very Best Regards,
Gabrielle Fisher.
Support Team

More like too much white rice, sugar, noodles, etc. Most Thais do not go to McD's as they are not even available throughout much of Thailand outside of the tourist areas (though KFC seems to be everywhere). The fat Thais you are seeing are not getting fat from eating Big Macs.

Gee thats strange. I set in McD's at The Mall in Korat yesterday for 30 minuets counted about 100 Thais and 10 farangs. BS they don't go to McD's. BTW NOT ONE fate person Thai or faring. OOPs me..

Slightly off-topic maybe, (though not that many 18-year olds will have degrees) but I received the following email from one of the TEFL organisations a very short while ago who had previously thought that I might want a TEFL franchise. I think it is self explanatory, recognising the changes that unqualified applicants face in LOS, particularly in recent weeks:

From: mailer@infusionmail.com On Behalf Of Gabrielle Fisher
Sent: 19 August 2014 16:49
To:
Subject: No Degree, No Problem

Dear

With the recent political reforms that have been implemented in Thailand, there has been a crackdown on teachers without a degree. It has become increasingly difficult to find work in Thailand legally unless you hold a Degree in any subject.

If you do have a BA Degree, Thailand is CRYING OUT for teachers with a BA Degree and a TEFL certificate.

Don't have a Degree? Why not Teach English In Cambodia!!

Cambodia is right next door to Thailand and a Degree is NOT required for teaching. A business visa can be purchased on arrival and extended for up to one year for under $300 USD, allowing you to work legally for as long as you wish.

Many non-degree students are now taking their TEFL training in Koh Samui Thailand, and then heading over to Cambodia to teach.

**Amazing Benefits of Teaching English In Cambodia**

? No Degree Required
? Discover What Thailand Was Like 30 Years Ago!
? Very Friendly and Welcoming Locals
? Huge Demand for English Teachers!
? Very Low Cost of Living (For example $0.50 for a beer & $100 per month for housing)
? Ease of Travel to and From Thailand
? Business Visa - can be bought on arrival and easily extended in the country
? Discover Angkor Wat - the world's largest religious monument
? Enjoy an Authentic Cultural Experience
? Year Round Warm Weather
? Enthusiastic and Eager to Learn Children
? Pristine, Palm-Fringed Beaches in Sihanoukville Waiting for You
? Experience the vibrant and charming city of Phnom Penh
? Easy, Laid-Back and Relaxed Lifestyle
? Apply Now before everyone else gets in there before you

Rob, embark on an authentic cultural experience by visiting the stunning splendours of Angkor Wat, explore the tropical, white-sandy beaches of Sihanoukville or the expanding freshwater lake of Tonle Sap. Immerse yourself in the bustling markets, lively nightlife and wonderful expat community of Phenom Phen or the quieter, quaint villages that line the riverfront.

At present, one of the major advantages of living and working in Cambodia is that Non-Degree holders are able to find work easily. There are plenty of Private Language, Local Government and Bilingual Schools to choose from, as well as Private Lessons that are available in abundance.

Apply Now before everyone else gets there before you.

Please do not hesitate to contact me should you have any further questions.

Very Best Regards,
Gabrielle Fisher.
Support Team

What they did not tell you is a work permit for Cambodia is now being enforced and the general cost may go up. General info at http://www.movetocambodia.com/working-in-cambodia/employment-in-cambodia/work-permits/

From all accounts, teaching without a work permit is being cracked down on, and these charming young people, overweight or not, are not going to be able to stay here for long.

I too am a retired TEFL teacher, and I know this much, that anybody hoping to teach does need some qualifications (there will always be a few who are natural teachers, but only a few). I am not talking about Government permission; I'm talking about what happens when they get into a classroom.

When I first came here, about 20 village children came to my house to get help with their homework. So.... I tried to TEACH them how to do it. Oh no, that wasn't what they wanted; they wanted me to give them the answers. They never came back!

That was not a failure on my part (no, it wasn't a success either!); it meant that the schools were not conditioning them to be taught properly.

I believe this situation has changed again. The days of a degree in any subject are over. I think it must be in education only now.

This only applies to teaching children BTW and that is why I am not 100% sure, as I do not teach children.

Gee thats strange. I set in McD's at The Mall in Korat yesterday for 30 minuets counted about 100 Thais and 10 farangs. BS they don't go to McD's. BTW NOT ONE fate person Thai or faring. OOPs me..

I didn't say Thais do not eat McDonald's. They do when there is one in their area. I said MOST Thais are not fat due to eating Big Macs. Why? Because except for certain areas of the country there are few McD's available for them to eat at. But as you point out... most of the customers, the vast majority of them, sitting in a McD's ARE THAIS. There would be no McD's in Thailand if it were only the westerners eating at these places. Why? Because there's not enough farangs to keep them in business. Simple. Maybe a couple in certain areas of Pattaya, Phuket, and Bangkok could survive just on farang trade.

Bear and I were discussing this the other day. It's total hogwash that Thais will not eat beef and beef burgers. Many/most do or will. And if there is a McD's, or a Burger King etc. in their area, and they are flush enough to afford the prices, they will eat at these fast food joints. Some are eating the pork Samuri burgers, or the fish or chicken burgers. But look around. Many are eating Big Macs, cheeseburgers and double cheeseburgers. Beef burgers.

And quite a few are ordering and eating our beef burgers as well.

Korat has one McD's. There's 2 in Kohn Kaen (a big student/uni population). Both a couple hours drive away from us in Surin. Other than those 3 where are all the rest of these McD's that are making all the Thais so chubby? 6 hours away in Bangkok and Pattaya?

It's all the rice, noodles, sugars, cheap oils, etc most Thais are gaining weight on. Or possibly all that fried chicken from KFC. :) And Thais DO eat a lot of fried foods.

JMHO. Your mileage may vary.

Mike

I believe this situation has changed again. The days of a degree in any subject are over. I think it must be in education only now.

This only applies to teaching children BTW and that is why I am not 100% sure, as I do not teach children.

Wouldn't that just make the Farang teachers even further removed, quality-wise, from their Thai counterparts ?

Last edited:
The spelling police are everywhere! Almost as bad as the traffic police - must be blood brothers. 555

And Coffee follows that right up by using the wrong form of your (you're) in the next post.
Ignore the Police, Nomad, I do...

ThumbUp6
Mario299

And Coffee follows that right up by using the wrong form of your (you're) in the next post.

ThumbUp6
Mario299

I thought it timely to mention that we, the Spelling and Grammar Police of SurinFarang (SPAGPOS) do have an overview of our areas of concern. No arrests are imminent, as infringements have been relatively minor in recent days and limited to members with ex-colonial antecedents.

Whilst we are currently viewing these as small and acceptable lapses...be warned....you are all being monitored.

Wouldn't that just make the Farang teachers even further removed, quality-wise, from their Thai counterparts ?

My understanding is those with real teaching uni degrees in the education field would usually expect a lot more money. Money they can get elsewhere in other Asian/Asean countries willing to pay for quality teachers fully qualified to teach. I have friends here who teach, and from what I see and hear from others they are damn good teachers, well respected, who are serious about teaching and do a good job of it. Not all of them (very few actually) have a uni degree in education, but do have degrees in other fields. Most of them could make a lot more money teaching in Japan, or China, VN, etc. They are here because they love living in Thailand, and like teaching here.

Mike

Yes Mike, it can be a difficult situation to resolve. Some agencies move the teacher around after 6 months so they can then inform the Labour Office of a change then start another period of time to "get a visa/ WP"

When I first came here, about 20 village children came to my house to get help with their homework. So.... I tried to TEACH them how to do it. Oh no, that wasn't what they wanted; they wanted me to give them the answers. They never came back!

That was not a failure on my part (no, it wasn't a success either!); it meant that the schools were not conditioning them to be taught properly.

IB, the schools are conditioning them.

I think what you really meant to write was the schools are not teaching them to learn by processing information independently and thinking properly on their own. Think1 (...but I caught your drift on the matter.)

You're so right, Mario

ThumbUp6
Mario299

Good catch and so correct 10of10Score
Booboo Do I give two shytes ? Not really shrug1
...but I will try to lay off your brownies while you're on patrol, Mario T.I.C.

Back