New farang teachers in place

"real" Uni degrees in Education

My understanding is those with real teaching uni degrees in the education field would usually expect a lot more money. Money they can get elsewhere in other Asian/Asean countries willing to pay for quality teachers fully qualified to teach. I have friends here who teach, and from what I see and hear from others they are damn good teachers, well respected, who are serious about teaching and do a good job of it. Not all of them (very few actually) have a uni degree in education, but do have degrees in other fields...
They are here because they love living in Thailand, and like teaching here.
Mike

Usually would be an understatement but you're quite right.

My daughter received a Masters in Early Childhood Education from a State University for which I was quite proud of her.
While she was attending University I wondered as to exactly where all of her studies would land her.

With a Masters in her hand she could not find a position in Seattle/ Bellevue metro-area that would afford her living independently in her own apartment.
The area was and is quite expensive due to the growth of high-tech, commercial airline mfrg and aerospace as well as becoming a very "hip" , desirable place to reside in the US.

I suggested that she broaden her approach for finding a job outside of greater Seattle and possibly out-of-state. She looked at me with her "No way, Dad" look.
Though she could have landed jobs outside of the metro-area she decided to work her way into a position.
She cut her knuckles working for under USD 18,000 at private Montessori child-care/ pre-school while living under her parents roof (free lodging and grub). Believe it or not , many of our children and grands are doing just that due to economic factors.

After a few years armed with a Masters and actual classroom experienece she is teaching Kindergarten at public school in Bellevue, WA earning over USD 40,000 (THB 1,300,000) that provides full health, disability and retirement benes including approx 14 weeks time off (fully paid).
Not bad for a 35-year-old single-lady now living in her own Seattle pad who I am so very proud of.
Each day I thank the Lord she learned everything from her mother.:smile:

Don't get me wrong she works her ass off. You can't even imagine how extensive the lesson plans are for kindergarten.
Bottom line: she loves what she does and she loves the truly professional environment that instills commitment amongst the cadre of educators that embrace and truly value teachers like herself.

Why wouldn't she be caught dead teaching in Surin, Thailand and putting up with the broken system for 25% of her current salary , negligible benes with severely limited resources ?

I might have once thought it was only because Surin didn't have a McD's , Taco Bell or Pizza Hut.
I was wrong.

Sure , teaching in Isaan is fun if you truly enjoy teaching.
Isn't that what it is really all about ?
(I've noticed far and few female teachers in Surin for the 'long haul'...with the exception of Gilley who returned to UK.)

I just hope some who don't have a nest egg can live on the fruits of their labour when the time comes to retire. shrug1
One might find that Thailand may no longer be the "Simply Amazing" shangri la that one once thought it to be.

(Based on the facts along with IMHO). Peace.

That really is very good, Westofhere. Is it 100% genuine or a spoof? Either way, I like it!

It's 100% genuine. I think the person who hosts the site is a westerner and did it for the school. I have heard that there are some religious zealots in Cambodia who will try to infiltrate a school and turn it Christian. I guess they have had problems with the dread-locked tattoo pierced hippie junkies harassing them too.:smile:

Actually Coffee, Gill is back here and has just landed a teaching job in Bangkok. I have no idea what her salary is, but I'd be willing to bet she could easily get more money teaching in another country than Thailand. I know people who have taught at the big Expatriate schools in Bangkok and made decent money at those schools. But you do need a decent uni education/degree in the field of teaching/education to get the big bucks, which your daughter with her qualifications could likely demand here in Thailand at the higher education schools in Bangkok. She is actually qualified and could likely demand top pay here in Thailand. It is decent pay compared to what other schools/cities pay here. 60K to 120K easily in the right expat high schools and unis here in Bangkok. With lots of real bennies as well.

Usually would be an understatement but you're quite right.

My daughter received a Masters in Early Childhood Education from a State University for which I was quite proud of her.
While she was attending University I wondered as to exactly where all of her studies would land her.

With a Masters in her hand she could not find a position in Seattle/ Bellevue metro-area that would afford her living independently in her own apartment.
The area was and is quite expensive due to the growth of high-tech, commercial airline mfrg and aerospace as well as becoming a very "hip" , desirable place to reside in the US.

I suggested that she broaden her approach for finding a job outside of greater Seattle and possibly out-of-state. She looked at me with her "No way, Dad" look.
Though she could have landed jobs outside of the metro-area she decided to work her way into a position.
She cut her knuckles working for under USD 18,000 at private Montessori child-care/ pre-school while living under her parents roof (free lodging and grub). Believe it or not , many of our children and grands are doing just that due to economic factors.

After a few years armed with a Masters and actual classroom experienece she is teaching Kindergarten at public school in Bellevue, WA earning over USD 40,000 (THB 1,300,000) that provides full health, disability and retirement benes including approx 14 weeks time off (fully paid).
Not bad for a 35-year-old single-lady now living in her own Seattle pad who I am so very proud of.
Each day I thank the Lord she learned everything from her mother.:smile:

Don't get me wrong she works her ass off. You can't even imagine how extensive the lesson plans are for kindergarten.
Bottom line: she loves what she does and she loves the truly professional environment that instills commitment amongst the cadre of educators that embrace and truly value teachers like herself.

Why wouldn't she be caught dead teaching in Surin, Thailand and putting up with the broken system for 25% of her current salary , negligible benes with severely limited resources ?

I might have once thought it was only because Surin didn't have a McD's , Taco Bell or Pizza Hut.
I was wrong.

Sure , teaching in Isaan is fun if you truly enjoy teaching.
Isn't that what it is really all about ?
(I've noticed far and few female teachers in Surin for the 'long haul'...with the exception of Gilley who returned to UK.)

I just hope some who don't have a nest egg can live on the fruits of their labour when the time comes to retire. shrug1
One might find that Thailand may no longer be the "Simply Amazing" shangri la that one once thought it to be.

(Based on the facts along with IMHO). Peace.

Back