Nightmare in Makro Surin

nomad97

Resident Geek
I went shopping this morning for some basic ingredients to make a nice chicken curry later today. However, due to some major redevelopment within Makro, the introduction of one-way pedestrian walkways, 2-metre social distancing X marks the spot, and the redistribution of the meat counters and weighing station, I did not find the chicken until I was weighing the pork. I was not impressed and consider the new layout to be illogical and poorly thought out. In fact, I would go further and say whoever thought out the new system must have been high on Lao Kao at the time. However, the loin of pork that I did find should make for a very nice curry later today.

I went shopping this morning for some basic ingredients to make a nice chicken curry later today. However, due to some major redevelopment within Makro, the introduction of one-way pedestrian walkways, 2-metre social distancing X marks the spot, and the redistribution of the meat counters and weighing station, I did not find the chicken until I was weighing the pork. I was not impressed and consider the new layout to be illogical and poorly thought out. In fact, I would go further and say whoever thought out the new system must have been high on Lao Kao at the time. However, the loin of pork that I did find should make for a very nice curry later today.

Rome wasn't built in a day................................ I am sure they are doing their best....;)

Rome wasn't built in a day................................ I am sure they are doing their best....;)

I saw it as well the other day. I think they are doing the best they can. I am sure as time goes on it will evolve. What made me laugh though was that the day I went was the day non essential items could be sold. But not fridges or washing machines. I think they are Covid 19 carriers. Anyone care to explain.

I saw it as well the other day. I think they are doing the best they can. I am sure as time goes on it will evolve. What made me laugh though was that the day I went was the day non essential items could be sold. But not fridges or washing machines. I think they are Covid 19 carriers. Anyone care to explain.

T. I. T. is the best answer I can come up with :grinning:

I avoided Makro Buriram this morning, but did pop into Taweekit, as I wanted a couple of items from Mr DIY.

At the main entrance to Taweekit I was pointed to a sanitiser dispenser, and that was it. No temperature taken. Alas most places inside were still closed, as was Mr DIY. The Governement Savings Bank next door was doing a roaring business...maybe they were giving money away. Only people allowed inside one by one, and only when someone came out, but a mass accumulation of people outside waiting - no 2 metre distancing!!!!!!

I really cannot fathom this @nomad97 @Prakhonchai Nick - every country and in particular Thailand is strongly urging the elderly to stay home.:mask: Period.

Why do some feel it is necessary to flout these stay at home instructions ?

Even those ardent supporters of opening up the economies of the world state that the elderly and those with less-than-stellar health conditions should stay at home.:mask:

Can your significant family members follow a simple shopping list ?
(Asking on behalf of another.):rolleyes:

I really cannot fathom this @nomad97 @Prakhonchai Nick - every country and in particular Thailand is strongly urging the elderly to stay home.:mask: Period.

Even those ardent supporters of opening up the economies of the world state that the elderly and those with less-than-stellar health conditions should stay at home.:mask:

I haven't ventured outside my gate since 22nd March. However, I shall be going out tomorrow to see @nookiebear.

I have yet to book myself into a care home, where my chances of catching Covid-19 would be very high. Moreover, I still have full use of my faculties and I am more than capable of making an objective decision when considering the potential risks involved. For the first month, I did not venture far from my front door. However, with no new reported cases of Covid-19 within Surin Province during the past month, and with the country as a whole reporting none or very few new cases each day, I do consider Thailand to be at far less risk than countries like the USA and UK. I do not go out frequently, maybe once or twice a week, and then I wear a face mask, maintain social distancing and talk to none other than a short "thank you" to the cashier. I wash my hands before I go out and again on my return, and I use the antiseptic gel on entry to a store. If anything, I find my self-discipline to be very strict and possibly more than I might expect of my 'significant other' who is quite likely to break the social distancing rules and engage in conversation with her friends. I do not intend to lock myself away forever and a day as I see no early end to this Covid-19 pandemic. I will, however, assess the risk that I may face each time I contemplate leaving my man-cave to venture into the brave new world outside.

Last edited:

I am happy to read the advice given by those in power, but when there are virtually no new cases in Thailand, and all told just 3,000 from a 66 million population I will make my own decisions as to whether I venture out or not. Whatever age one is, there is no prohibition. Yorky, Nomad, you Coffee and others are all free to decide what you do and where you go.:D

My wife does the majority of the shopping because I don't like shopping. She takes a list and her phone should there be any queries.

However, yesterday she went to Watsadu to buy a light bulb and a cover for the external vent of the cooker hood. I gave her the old defunct light bulb and a tape to ensure the vent cover was the correct size (150mm x 150mm). She said didn't need the tape as the size of the vent would be on the packet. She returned with a 200mm x 200mm vent cover.

To be somewhat fair, the packet did refer to the cover as 150mm but that was the diameter of the vent itself. I, of course, wouldn't have known that because it was written in Thai, but I would have taken the bloody measuring tape!

No explanation from me, but instead a little embellishment to the story. I am after a chest freezer to extend my food storage. We saw one that we liked in Makro, behind the "None Shall Pass" red tape. We asked if they could be purchased online at www.makroclick.com/en It turns out they can, but you need to have a Makro card, which we applied for in the store, no business needed.

Woo Hoo! Not elderly yet! I will go out and party. Screeeeeeeech ! (That's the sound of the hand brake going on)

#1 Covid 19 everything closed

#2 The wife would not let me any way ! :(:(:(
Wot's that you say? No tequila?

Oh! I passed that milestone years ago. Per ardua ad astra!

I do find this URL is a useful source of information: https://www.bing.com/covid/local/thailand?form=WSHCOV

View attachment 33935

I consult the oracle daily to help me make an informed decision as to whether or not I can safely venture forth from the man-cave.

I didn't see a horizontal line for SWMBO on there...... probably pitch it around the 10 mark before she allows you out...................................

I was about to venture out today to meet @nookiebear but my wife has decided that a subsequent Makro trip is required, so I'll not bother. I cannot be arsed with walking around Makro with all the apparent pallava nor the alternative of sat in the truck waiting for her.

bored.png

Back