Rape and Murder Close to Home

A

AussieBill

The Gorgeous Lek recently attended the funeral of a nearby "cousin", a girl aged 15 years, who had apparently been the victim of a motorbike accident a few kilometres along the main road from our home. Her sister, aged 14, is still in ICU at the hospital.

When word spread that the younger girl had survived, one Thai youth got cold feet and gave himself up to local police. Apparently, a large group of youths had ambushed the girls, bashed and raped them and thrown them into water near a local bridge.

All attempts at a re-enactment of the crime have so far failed due to the large vigilante party of up to 300 locals carrying anything that can kill that assembles within moments of the police arrival.

I guess that is what can happen when two pretty, young sisters attend a local birthday party, but, unknown to parents, continue on to Towan Daeng and return on their motorbike in the early hours of the morning.

Very sad, very bad, should never have been allowed to happen and Thais were capable of doing it!

The Gorgeous Lek recently attended the funeral of a nearby "cousin", a girl aged 15 years, who had apparently been the victim of a motorbike accident a few kilometres along the main road from our home. Her sister, aged 14, is still in ICU at the hospital.

When word spread that the younger girl had survived, one Thai youth got cold feet and gave himself up to local police. Apparently, a large group of youths had ambushed the girls, bashed and raped them and thrown them into water near a local bridge.

All attempts at a re-enactment of the crime have so far failed due to the large vigilante party of up to 300 locals carrying anything that can kill that assembles within moments of the police arrival.

I guess that is what can happen when two pretty, young sisters attend a local birthday party, but, unknown to parents, continue on to Towan Daeng and return on their motorbike in the early hours of the morning.

Very sad, very bad, should never have been allowed to happen and Thais were capable of doing it!

When will the law realise that rigid deterants such as, the death penalty have an " In your face " effect for deplorable crimes such as this.

Strange one, OP Bill

I haven't seen anything about this in the local media.

What day did this supposedly take place and where ? What does GL say ?

Please have your GL locate the story in Thai and you can post as a follow-up here so there's no conjecture as to what happened.
The local blurbs would be all over something like that , particularly girls age 14 brutally raped and 15 killed.

I'm not doubting that this shyte happens but recently the words hearsay and rumour have reared their ugly heads.

fact vs fiction (a sad tale being told)

I think the tragic story that you're referring to took place Thursday 27 August.
Right now there is quite a bit of conjecture according to a Surin Police source.

It is known that in the early morning hours of Thursday 27 August someone called this terrible incident (now believed to be a crime) along the khlong near Tasawang (NE of Ampur Surin) into Surin Police.

The Police discovered one 14-year-old girl was dead and another 14-year-old girl was very seriously injured and is now in the hospital. Hopefully she will cover to reveal more details. The two girls were friends. Both supposedly attended the birthday party of a friend.
This may have been where and how "the boys" (6) entered the equation.

There is quite a bit being said about why two 14-year-old girls were out alone unsupervised into the early morning hours on a school night and the responsibility of family (and / or parents).
That sadly is how this all started. The rumour mills are having a field day as unfortunate as that may sound for the families involved.

Possibly more concrete information will come to light that will shed truth on the matter. Did the two girls know their attackers ?

Now one family grieves for their dead daughter as another prays for their daughter's recovery. Sadly and tragically , two families have seen the drastic result of very lax parental supervision in 21rst-century Isaan.

I haven't seen anything about this in the local media.

What day did this supposedly take place and where ? What does GL say ?

Please have your GL locate the story in Thai and you can post as a follow-up here so there's no conjecture as to what happened.
The local blurbs would be all over something like that , particularly girls age 14 brutally raped and 15 killed.

I'm not doubting that this shyte happens but recently the words hearsay and rumour have reared their ugly heads.

It happened.

I think the tragic story that you're referring to took place Thursday 27 August.
Right now there is quite a bit of conjecture according to a Surin Police source.

It is known that in the early morning hours of Thursday 27 August someone called this terrible incident (now believed to be a crime) along the khlong near Tasawang (NE of Ampur Surin) into Surin Police.

The Police discovered one 14-year-old girl was dead and another 14-year-old girl was very seriously injured and is now in the hospital. Hopefully she will cover to reveal more details. The two girls were friends. Both supposedly attended the birthday party of a friend.
This may have been where and how "the boys" (6) entered the equation.

There is quite a bit being said about why two 14-year-old girls were out alone unsupervised into the early morning hours on a school night and the responsibility of family (and / or parents).
That sadly is how this all started. The rumour mills are having a field day as unfortunate as that may sound for the families involved.

Possibly more concrete information will come to light that will shed truth on the matter. Did the two girls know their attackers ?

Now one family grieves for their dead daughter as another prays for their daughter's recovery. Sadly and tragically , two families have seen the drastic result of very lax parental supervision in 21rst-century Isaan.

For christ sake Coffee...lack of parental supervision or not. This criminal act happened and the perpetrators have no excuse.

taking some responsibility as a parent

For christ sake Coffee...lack of parental supervision or not. This criminal act happened and the perpetrators have no excuse.

What's your main point, Surin - this SHYTE happens all over the globe...in EVERY FOOKIN" COUNTRY, MATE !
Doesn't happen in Cambodjia ? ....don't shyte yourself...they don't find or report the bodies.

Pleeeze don't tell me it doesn't happen in OZ with 25 Million.
Assuredly it happens in America with 325 Million.

Perpetrators never have an excuse except they were horny, high required money and always were too fookin' stoopid to realize what they were doing.

The perps are all over the fookin' place....everywhere.
It's NOT a friggin' secret now , is it ?
The girls were 14---old enough to operate a scooter and go out on-the-town, eh.

Maybe that's exactly WHY parents should be parenting...in EVERY country !

True, the parents didn't do the deed
but 'an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." In this tragic case it's too late for two girls.
Possibly it's a wake-up call for 10,000 families as sad as it is.
Possibly parenting has become a foreign subject too.

Don't delude yourself , this shyte happens everywhere... though your favourite whipping post will always be your beloved Thailand , won't it ? //flag
I can readily understand that.

When you're not happy where you live maybe it's time to make a change, don't you think so ? shrug1
I can readily understand that too. I've done it a few times. Crazy1
Caveat: I'm not angry at you , Surin. Just try to consider the principle of parent's parenting.

Exactly IE

Agree. Same could be said of the parents of the scumbags who commuted this crime.

Yet, if they ascertain who the 'boys' are - those boys won't be killed , unless it's done in prison or on the street in front of the noodle shoppe.

The country is reeling in yaba , cheap lao khao and as you should readily know given you're "teaching the teachers" - a relatively low analytical skill set if the parents are not overseeing their kids education.

So essentially you want and expect those parents to take responsibility as opposed to you taking responsibility for what goes on with your own children and protecting them the best you can from the vermin outside your gate.
THIS IS THAILAND, Ivor ! Wake up !
I thought you had a higher breeding. Go back to 'teaching the teachers.' Crazy1
I'm not going to waste my time. It's your children's life at stake - not mine. Good luck.
Enough said. Hair_Out1

What's your main point, Surin - this SHYTE happens all over the globe...in EVERY FOOKIN" COUNTRY, MATE !
Doesn't happen in Cambodjia ? ....don't shyte yourself...they don't find or report the bodies.

Pleeeze don't tell me it doesn't happen in OZ with 25 Million.
Assuredly it happens in America with 325 Million.

Perpetrators never have an excuse except they were horny, high required money and always were too fookin' stoopid to realize what they were doing.

The perps are all over the fookin' place....everywhere.
It's NOT a friggin' secret now , is it ?
The girls were 14---old enough to operate a scooter and go out on-the-town, eh.

Maybe that's exactly WHY parents should be parenting...in EVERY country !

True, the parents didn't do the deed
but 'an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." In this tragic case it's too late for two girls.
Possibly it's a wake-up call for 10,000 families as sad as it is.
Possibly parenting has become a foreign subject too.

Don't delude yourself , this shyte happens everywhere... though your favourite whipping post will always be your beloved Thailand , won't it ? //flag
I can readily understand that.

When you're not happy where you live maybe it's time to make a change, don't you think so ? shrug1
I can readily understand that too. I've done it a few times. Crazy1
Caveat: I'm not angry at you , Surin. Just try to consider the principle of parent's parenting.

My main point is that there is no excuse to rape and murder. I am not picking out Thailand. Any where to do such things is shocking lack of control and senseless. We have had Lebanese muftis protect lebanese **** living in my country, suggested the young girls they gang raped deserved it,because of the clothes the wore.

Footnote...mind your bloody business as to where I choose to reside.

Last edited by a moderator:
We apply Western standards to other countries, wherever they may be in the world.

Yes, we find the crimes of rape and murder abhorrent, and it leads to angry exchanges concerning the responsibilities of the victims, perpetrators, and both sets of families.

Despite this, different standards apply elsewhere. Take, as an example, the two Indian sisters in this news article from The International Business Times http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/india-sisters-sentenced-rape-punishment-brothers-affair-1517558 :
"Two sisters in India, one of whom is only 15-years-old, have been "sentenced" to rape as "punishment" after their brother had an affair with a married woman. An unelected all-male village council in Baghpat district, Uttar Pradesh, ordered that Meenakshi Kumari, 23, and her teenage sister will also be paraded through the streets naked, with blackened faces, as they are made to pay the price for their brother's alleged transgressions.
"The Kumaris are Dalits, or untouchables, placed at the very bottom of India's ancient and archaic caste system. According to Zee News, the pair's brother Ravi fell in love with a girl from the higher Jat caste, however the relationship was forbidden by the family elders. The girl was then forcibly married off to another man in February, but later eloped with Ravi. The Jat woman is now thought to be pregnant with his child.
"The couple surrendered after discovering that their family were allegedly tortured by police and members of the Jat community, to avenge the brother's actions. Meenakshi has filed a petition with the Supreme Court asking for protection. Her father has also lodged a complaint saying that his family has been harassed, not just by the family of the woman who has eloped, but also by the police.
The Khap panchayat, or village council has now decided that the barbaric "punishment" will be inflicted on the sisters as retribution. Sumit Kumar, another brother of Meenakshi, said that 'the Jat decision is final', adding, 'The police said anyone can be murdered now.'
We can judge the authorities involved to be barbaric, as of course they are to us. But they are not so to the people of that area of India, seemingly.

We are constantly judging all sorts of Thai issues, assuming them to be "backward" or some such, and they ARE to those of us who have a different mind-set. But to the average Thai, they are perfectly normal. WE are the ones who are out of step (in their view) and so it is in the Indian story too.

Can we actually DO anything about the attitudes of some Thai parents and their kids? We may feel that we owe it to them to try and change them, but if they feel that we are wrong, it simply leads to their affirmation that Farang are simply interfering fools. We can go to an early grave trying to apply our standards to those who prefer their own. I prefer to live a long life.

just let them kill their own and let's not get involved, after the war the spoils are reaped by them who didn't get involved in the fight ... send all our guns and bombs to the IS countries for free, let them exterminate themselves ... they will die out in a generation or max two the way they treat their women ... no kids, no future ...

just let them kill their own and let's not get involved, after the war the spoils are reaped by them who didn't get involved in the fight ... send all our guns and bombs to the IS countries for free, let them exterminate themselves ... they will die out in a generation or max two the way they treat their women ... no kids, no future ...

Dam. I like that. You have to be a TRUMP MAN.

Republican-preside_3366605b.jpg

We apply Western standards to other countries, wherever they may be in the world.

Yes, we find the crimes of rape and murder abhorrent, and it leads to angry exchanges concerning the responsibilities of the victims, perpetrators, and both sets of families.

Despite this, different standards apply elsewhere. Take, as an example, the two Indian sisters in this news article from The International Business Times http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/india-sisters-sentenced-rape-punishment-brothers-affair-1517558 :
"Two sisters in India, one of whom is only 15-years-old, have been "sentenced" to rape as "punishment" after their brother had an affair with a married woman. An unelected all-male village council in Baghpat district, Uttar Pradesh, ordered that Meenakshi Kumari, 23, and her teenage sister will also be paraded through the streets naked, with blackened faces, as they are made to pay the price for their brother's alleged transgressions.
"The Kumaris are Dalits, or untouchables, placed at the very bottom of India's ancient and archaic caste system. According to Zee News, the pair's brother Ravi fell in love with a girl from the higher Jat caste, however the relationship was forbidden by the family elders. The girl was then forcibly married off to another man in February, but later eloped with Ravi. The Jat woman is now thought to be pregnant with his child.
"The couple surrendered after discovering that their family were allegedly tortured by police and members of the Jat community, to avenge the brother's actions. Meenakshi has filed a petition with the Supreme Court asking for protection. Her father has also lodged a complaint saying that his family has been harassed, not just by the family of the woman who has eloped, but also by the police.
The Khap panchayat, or village council has now decided that the barbaric "punishment" will be inflicted on the sisters as retribution. Sumit Kumar, another brother of Meenakshi, said that 'the Jat decision is final', adding, 'The police said anyone can be murdered now.'
We can judge the authorities involved to be barbaric, as of course they are to us. But they are not so to the people of that area of India, seemingly.

We are constantly judging all sorts of Thai issues, assuming them to be "backward" or some such, and they ARE to those of us who have a different mind-set. But to the average Thai, they are perfectly normal. WE are the ones who are out of step (in their view) and so it is in the Indian story too.

Can we actually DO anything about the attitudes of some Thai parents and their kids? We may feel that we owe it to them to try and change them, but if they feel that we are wrong, it simply leads to their affirmation that Farang are simply interfering fools. We can go to an early grave trying to apply our standards to those who prefer their own. I prefer to live a long life.

Picking up on your last paragraph,. NO, WE cannot do anything about Thai parenting. We cab express an opinion, but it will go in one ear and out the other.

The point is however, many things that we disagree with are covered under thai law. Kids of 10/11/12 drive motorbikes, yet the law says they must be 15. This is more than just parental irresponsibility. The police should take firm action. Sadly they dont and many kids under 15 die as a result of police and parental negligence and irresponsibility.

Take a look at Thai law. Most if not all is modelled on English law. The only difference is it is rarely enforced.

Yet, if they ascertain who the 'boys' are - those boys won't be killed , unless it's done in prison or on the street in front of the noodle shoppe.

The country is reeling in yaba , cheap lao khao and as you should readily know given you're "teaching the teachers" - a relatively low analytical skill set if the parents are not overseeing their kids education.

So essentially you want and expect those parents to take responsibility as opposed to you taking responsibility for what goes on with your own children and protecting them the best you can from the vermin outside your gate.
THIS IS THAILAND, Ivor ! Wake up !
I thought you had a higher breeding. Go back to 'teaching the teachers.' Crazy1
I'm not going to waste my time. It's your children's life at stake - not mine. Good luck.
Enough said. Hair_Out1

Both my daughters live in England (luckily) and are doing very well, thank you, so your wrong.
Finished teaching the teachers now so looking forward to a leisurely weekend. Onwards and upwards.
Have a great weekend all!

Further comments on my OP . . . .

It happened, as Surin is also telling you. (He lives almost closer to the scene of the crime). That's why I wrote the OP.

The sisters are actually "sisters" so one family did not have 2 daughters involved. However, 2 families, rather than one, displayed lax parental supervision.

Three youths have now surrendered to police. Hearsay says there are several more to be apprehended.

The police have kept a low profile as regards the press (hence Coffee's anguish and doubting-Thomas approach at not being informed) as they were playing along with the culprits' attempt to make the crime appear to be a motorbike accident. Both they and the hospital staff knew that it was no accident.

The two girls, both supposedly dead, and the motorbike were transported from the original crime scene to a bridge area on a truck or pickup and thrown into the water.

The surviving girl is under close police protection at the hospital.

An uncle of the deceased girl has promised to avenge her death appropriately, given any opportunity. He has notified the police of his intention and will not flee the scene if he is successful.

Attempts at re-enactment have ceased as being virtually impossible without further violence

Further comments on my OP . . . .

It happened, as Surin is also telling you. (He lives almost closer to the scene of the crime). That's why I wrote the OP.

The sisters are actually "sisters" so one family did not have 2 daughters involved. However, 2 families, rather than one, displayed lax parental supervision.

Three youths have now surrendered to police. Hearsay says there are several more to be apprehended.

The police have kept a low profile as regards the press (hence Coffee's anguish and doubting-Thomas approach at not being informed) as they were playing along with the culprits' attempt to make the crime appear to be a motorbike accident. Both they and the hospital staff knew that it was no accident.

The two girls, both supposedly dead, and the motorbike were transported from the original crime scene to a bridge area on a truck or pickup and thrown into the water.

The surviving girl is under close police protection at the hospital.

An uncle of the deceased girl has promised to avenge her death appropriately, given any opportunity. He has notified the police of his intention and will not flee the scene if he is successful.

Attempts at re-enactment have ceased as being virtually impossible without further violence

Maybe for future incidents such as these we can ask the Royal Thai Police to inform Coffee directly so as to avoid any misunderstanding and prevent him being miffed.

Quoting from Merlin's post:-

Thankfully, it seems that most Thais also find such crimes abhorrent judging by the lynch mobs desire for retribution. Anger at such an outrage at least shows they care - I suspect they need some direction in moving forward to find ways to prevent such future atrocities.

Picking up on your last paragraph,. NO, WE cannot do anything about Thai parenting. We cab express an opinion, but it will go in one ear and out the other.

The point is however, many things that we disagree with are covered under thai law. Kids of 10/11/12 drive motorbikes, yet the law says they must be 15. This is more than just parental irresponsibility. The police should take firm action. Sadly they dont and many kids under 15 die as a result of police and parental negligence and irresponsibility.

Take a look at Thai law. Most if not all is modelled on English law. The only difference is it is rarely enforced.

I agree with you 100% Nick and, yes, much of Thai Law is based on English Law but with much else besides: (taken from the not always reliable Wikipedia)

"The Thai legal system became an amalgam of German, Swiss, French, English, Japanese, Italian, and Indian laws and practices. Even today, Islamic laws and practices exist in four southern provinces. Over the years, Thai law has naturally taken on its own Thai identity."

It can only be hoped that the Government will continue its drive towards greater law enforcement, which is the only bit of use after laws have been written - without enforcement, there might as well be only a set of behavioral guidelines, optional ones at that!

Meanwhile, we know that education, the teaching of good manners, and discipline all begin at home, don't we? But in the UK now, don't we often hear that the parents of problem kids blame school teachers for their brat's bad behaviour? So, YES! parents must accept responsibility for educating their kids on what's right or wrong, morally as well as legally, and as has probably been said before on this Forum, if the parents were held financially accountable for their underage offspring's crimes, it just might bring about a mood change, though I wholeheartedly agree that, without effective enforcement, all the rule changes and statutory punishments in the world won't make a jot of difference.

Back