Samsung Air-conditioning Units

nomad97

Resident Geek
Last Friday, the air-con in my man cave gave a splutter, a last gasp, and then died. The unit was a 9,000 BTU, Haier Inverter unit. The following day my usual air conditioning engineer, a man I have used for the past 18 years, turned up to determine the problem. He removed the electronic boards from the compressor unit and the problem was immediately obvious. A dead chit-chat lay sprawled out across the boards, shorting the circuits. He tried a few tricks to recover the circuit boards but they were beyond recovery. He resolved to get a price for the replacement boards the following Monday. He did, something over 6,000 baht whereas the price for a new Samsung 8,500 BTU Inverter unit was only 8,998 Baht. I decided it was time to scrap the Haier, only 5 years old, and buy a new Samsung. I have never been entirely happy with the performance of the Haier, and my air conditioning engineer had always nagged me for choosing the unit in the first place. Not the best buy I have ever made.

My air conditioning engineer fully agreed to replace the Haier with a new Samsung but recommended spending a couple of thousand more to get a much improved 9,000 BTU unit. I agreed. The new unit was installed yesterday and I have to say I am very happy with my choice. It is now the best air conditioning unit that I have in the house. It runs whisper-quiet when down to temperature and has a self-cleaning function every time it powers down. This feature alone should save the need for regular cleaning at 400 baht a shot. It also holds the chosen temperature very well, which in the man cave is 26*C. The total cost for supply and installation was 14,000 baht, which included an allowance of 1,000 baht trade-in for the old Haier. In conclusion, let's say that Nomad is very happy with his early birthday present! :) :) :)

1674014609441.png

Note: This is not the exact same model that I now have, mine does not have the "Remotely control it anytime, anywhere" function. Otherwise, the specs shown in the URL seem to mirror the unit that has been installed.

I'm fascinated by this. I haven't used either aircon (both Mitsubishi) since September 2022.

My man cave is the same as @Yorky's stoep. It is where I hang out most of the time during my waking hours. The man cave is the hottest room in the house, especially in the mid to late afternoon. The window and external wall face west-south-west. In comparison, the main bedroom faces diametrically opposite, east-north-east, and is one of the coolest rooms in the house. My body no longer tolerates temperatures above 26*C without feeling uncomfortable. Even at this time of the year, the temperature in the man cave rises above 30*C. So, to remain comfortable I switch on the air con to bring the ambient temperature down to 26*C.

I could use a fan to moderate the cooling effect but I prefer an air-conditioned environment. My Thai wife and two daughters also enjoy an air-conditioned environment the same as me. This, and hot showers for the girls, is one reason we have some of the highest monthly electricity bills. At 3,521.12 baht, last month's bill was one of the cheaper ones. Oh well, it's only money. :) :) :)

Each to their own.

It's currently 26°C on my stoep and I've just had to put a jacket on.

I don't like being cold!

Although I do remember that 26°C would be considered a heat wave in Yorkshire when I was a lad.

Were you not looking to buy a heater a week or so ago?
I was and I did. A most useful addition to the man cave when the temperature drops below 25*C, as it did this morning. A chilly 23*C. The heater was running for the second half of the Wolves vs Liverpool game, from 03.45 to 04.43 or so. As I said earlier, my preferred temperature is 26*C. Liverpool won 1 - 0. I noticed that that controller has a 'mode' switch for 'heat'. Perhaps I should try that function the next time it is cold.

P.S. In my younger years I served in the RAF is some very hot climes, mostly without air conditioning in the work environment. Countries like Bahrain, Sardinia, The Sultanate of Oman, (2 tours north and south), and later with BAe, 18 odd years in Saudi Arabia, 2 years on the Red Sea at Jeddah, and the remainder in Riyadh (very hot but dry). I am no stranger to heat, far hotter than Thailand. I suppose it is not so much the heat but the humidity that gets me.

Last edited:
Last Friday, the air-con in my man cave gave a splutter, a last gasp, and then died. The unit was a 9,000 BTU, Haier Inverter unit. The following day my usual air conditioning engineer, a man I have used for the past 18 years, turned up to determine the problem. He removed the electronic boards from the compressor unit and the problem was immediately obvious. A dead chit-chat lay sprawled out across the boards, shorting the circuits. He tried a few tricks to recover the circuit boards but they were beyond recovery. He resolved to get a price for the replacement boards the following Monday. He did, something over 6,000 baht whereas the price for a new Samsung 8,500 BTU Inverter unit was only 8,998 Baht. I decided it was time to scrap the Haier, only 5 years old, and buy a new Samsung. I have never been entirely happy with the performance of the Haier, and my air conditioning engineer had always nagged me for choosing the unit in the first place. Not the best buy I have ever made.

My air conditioning engineer fully agreed to replace the Haier with a new Samsung but recommended spending a couple of thousand more to get a much improved 9,000 BTU unit. I agreed. The new unit was installed yesterday and I have to say I am very happy with my choice. It is now the best air conditioning unit that I have in the house. It runs whisper-quiet when down to temperature and has a self-cleaning function every time it powers down. This feature alone should save the need for regular cleaning at 400 baht a shot. It also holds the chosen temperature very well, which in the man cave is 26*C. The total cost for supply and installation was 14,000 baht, which included an allowance of 1,000 baht trade-in for the old Haier. In conclusion, let's say that Nomad is very happy with his early birthday present! :) :) :)

View attachment 58865

Note: This is not the exact same model that I now have, mine does not have the "Remotely control it anytime, anywhere" function. Otherwise, the specs shown in the URL seem to mirror the unit that has been installed.
Looks good. Can I ask where you purchased this unit?

Looks good. Can I ask where you purchased this unit?
Of course, you can. The air conditioning engineer I have used for the past 18 years supplied and installed the unit for me. After hearing the cost to repair the Haier compressor, 6,000 + baht, on Monday, we confirmed our intention to buy a new 9,000 BTU Samsung Inverter unit. He delivered and installed the new unit the next day. I do not have the exact ID of the 9,000 BTU unit we bought, there seem to be several available. We do not have the remote control function and I guess that would be more expensive.

Please drop me a pm if you would like the name and telephone number of the man I use. You, or your wife, would be free to discuss your requirements directly with him.

Were you not looking to buy a heater a week or so ago?
And I am nice and warm again this morning too! T-shirt and shorts weather in the man cave, no socks either.

1674097691862.png

Yes, the La-Z-Boy recliner sets it off quite nicely. No point in roughing it, dear boy!

Hmm so self cleaning aircon eh. So where does the dirt go. Its hardly self cleaning by reverse cycling the evaporator (It heats it up to dry the system). Some even produce Ozone or negative ions to germicide. But again. Where does the actual dirt go ????
Starting to sound like a Gee Whiz gimmick.
I don't know.
Some one please prove me wrong. ;;shocked;;

Of course, you can. The air conditioning engineer I have used for the past 18 years supplied and installed the unit for me. After hearing the cost to repair the Haier compressor, 6,000 + baht, on Monday, we confirmed our intention to buy a new 9,000 BTU Samsung Inverter unit. He delivered and installed the new unit the next day. I do not have the exact ID of the 9,000 BTU unit we bought, there seem to be several available. We do not have the remote control function and I guess that would be more expensive.

Please drop me a pm if you would like the name and telephone number of the man I use. You, or your wife, would be free to discuss your requirements directly with him.
Thanks. I will do that at a later date as won’t be required for some time yet.

Hmm so self cleaning aircon eh. So where does the dirt go. Its hardly self cleaning by reverse cycling the evaporator (It heats it up to dry the system). Some even produce Ozone or negative ions to germicide. But again. Where does the actual dirt go ????
Starting to sound like a Gee Whiz gimmick.
I don't know.
Some one please prove me wrong.

Beats me. I did ask our man and he confirmed that is was self-cleaning.

1674107643795.png

The dirt possibly falls down over my work desk. :oops::oops::oops:

Back