Six Digit PINs Coming?

My wife has reminded me about four times that my ATM/VISA card expires in June this year. However, she forgot about her own which expired last week. She now has a replacement with a 6 digit PIN (Kasikorn Bank - ฿200.00).

Yes - and Italian autostrada toll booth workers used to do the same in days of Lira.

I well remember the days of Lira. The office that I used to visit quite regularly in San Donato Milanese had coffee machines that accepted only Lira coins (no boiled sweets).

Has anyone ever managed to get a credit card from a Thai bank, particularly Bangkok Bank?

I understand that Andychondriac obtained one from UOB. It had to be linked to an (interest free) account containing a minimum of Bht 50,000.00 and his credit was limited to that amount. A complete misnomer.

Has anyone ever managed to get a credit card from a Thai bank, particularly Bangkok Bank?

I have used my Kasikorn debit/ATM card as a Visa credit card in both UK and Australia. I haven't a clue how that worked.

I understand that Andychondriac obtained one from UOB. It had to be linked to an (interest free) account containing a minimum of Bht 50,000.00 and his credit was limited to that amount. A complete misnomer.
Might as well use the Kasikorn Shopping Card (A virtual credit card), which you use as a credit card, but deducts payment immediately from your savings account. Can only be used for online payment, as the card itself does not exist.

As i understand it as they replace or issue new cards they will all be six digit pin also applies to credit cards
this is an upgrade of banks security systems, all cards by April (not sure which year believe 2020) should also have a chip on them bringing all cards to chip & pin (but a signature may also be required).
Bangkok bank seems to be quickest
not sure of the other banks time frames.

As i understand it as they replace or issue new cards they will all be six digit pin also applies to credit cards this is an upgrade of banks security systems, all cards by April (not sure which year believe 2020) should also have a chip on them bringing all cards to chip & pin (but a signature may also be required). Bangkok bank seems to be quickest not sure of the other banks time frames.

I thought I had written about this earlier, maybe on a different thread, but about a year ago I tried to change my old Bangkok Bank ATM 4 digit PIN card for the new 6 digit PIN card. I was informed by my wife who was with me that the bank clerk strongly advised against changing my old card for the new. She informed me that the new card had not yet been fully rolled out and certain facilities of my old card were not available on the new card. For example, I would not be able to use the new card to book hotel accomodation or make online purchases, two facilities available with my existing card. Her advice was to retain my old card until it expired in 6 years time. I still have 5 years remaining before the validity date expires.

@trigger66 understands that all cards may need to be upgraded by April 2020. He may be right. However, in light of the advice I was given last year, I would advise anyone thinking of changing to confirm that the new cards offer the same functionality of the old cards before they do so.

I recall your post Nomad, and in fact I asked about mine with Bangkok Bank at our local branch in Prasat. I was told to wait until mine expires, don't renew early.

Just got a new ATM card and new PIN from BKK bank a couple weeks ago. And yes, it now uses a 6 digit PIN number.

Just got a new ATM card and new PIN from BKK bank a couple weeks ago. And yes, it now uses a 6 digit PIN number.
Has it got the same functionality that you had before? For example, can you order stuff online from Lazada or book hotel accommodation with the new card?

Has it got the same functionality that you had before? For example, can you order stuff online from Lazada or book hotel accommodation with the new card?

Should be able to, but I just got it before leaving for the states and have not had a reason or chance to use it.

Should be able to, but I just got it before leaving for the states and have not had a reason or chance to use it.
When you do get a chance to use it please tell. The warning I was given last year said the new card lacked that functionality.

Some online services insist on a credit card, and will not accept a debit card, which an ATM card is. That is where the Kasikorn "shopping card" a virtual credit card with 16 digits comes in useful

Back