Solar Installation

I never considered ventilation for the batteries, and my installer did not mention it. I have a small set up with 3 roof panels and 2 batteries. Switchgear and batteries are in a room approx 10 sq metres. Perhaps Bandersnatch could advise re the necessity or otherwise of ventilation.

I decided not participate in the sell back scheme due to the restrictions on what components you can use and the purchasing rate of 1.68 baht per kilowatt-hour https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/1706534/solar-rooftop-revisions-soon

PEA could not have been more unhelpful if they tried:
First visit (6 months before planned installation) at the big PEA office out of town. “The guy who knows about solar is not here, come back tomorrow”
Second visit “if you don’t want to sell back to PEA, you don’t need permission”
Third visit before placing order - see second visit.
Fourth visit after placing order to arrange replacement of temporary meter (All the Thais told me not to mention solar - which I ignored) “you cannot have solar unless all the components are on the approved list” I told them, I didn’t want to sell back to PEA, “doesn’t matter” show me where on your website it says that. He couldn’t find it, but he showed me some printed papers, which seemed to be about the sell back scheme. He then said if I wanted solar, I couldn’t connect to PEA as I would turn the meter back, which was illegal. I told him that my system of an Off Grid Hybrid system and I was only using PEA as a backup and inverter could not send power out to PEA. I took his number and arranged for the installation company to call him and talk in Thai.
Fifth visit. He now said as my system was over 10kw I could not connect to PEA (another requirement of the sell back scheme) He said that they would not change my meter from a temporary meter until the big team came from Korat to check my system.

A few days later they came to change my meter, no sign of the boys from Korat.

I decided not participate in the sell back scheme due to the restrictions on what components you can use and the purchasing rate of 1.68 baht per kilowatt-hour https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/1706534/solar-rooftop-revisions-soon

PEA could not have been more unhelpful if they tried:
First visit (6 months before planned installation) at the big PEA office out of town. “The guy who knows about solar is not here, come back tomorrow”
Second visit “if you don’t want to sell back to PEA, you don’t need permission”
Third visit before placing order - see second visit.
Fourth visit after placing order to arrange replacement of temporary meter (All the Thais told me not to mention solar - which I ignored) “you cannot have solar unless all the components are on the approved list” I told them, I didn’t want to sell back to PEA, “doesn’t matter” show me where on your website it says that. He couldn’t find it, but he showed me some printed papers, which seemed to be about the sell back scheme. He then said if I wanted solar, I couldn’t connect to PEA as I would turn the meter back, which was illegal. I told him that my system of an Off Grid Hybrid system and I was only using PEA as a backup and inverter could not send power out to PEA. I took his number and arranged for the installation company to call him and talk in Thai.
Fifth visit. He now said as my system was over 10kw I could not connect to PEA (another requirement of the sell back scheme) He said that they would not change my meter from a temporary meter until the big team came from Korat to check my system.

A few days later they came to change my meter, no sign of the boys from Korat.

A really useful organisation - not!

My batteries are sealed gel batteries but I still have them in a ventilated room. I would recommend a simple bathroom extractor fan.

Actually Sealed Lead Acid or SLA batteries have a vent, so the name "sealed " is a bit of a misnomer. VRLA (valve-regulated lead-acid battery) is actually a name for the technology. In normal circumstances a small amount of gas is emitted from these cells as the gel is designed to recombine the gasses under pressure in the silica gel. The problem is when Hydrogen escapes it lurks on the ceiling and can build up over time. Just a bit of ventilation or a fan as @Bandersnatch has would be quite adequate. All this only starts to become a problem as the batteries age. It is always safe to be aware of any potential problems.

Back