Starbeam, Ocsri Canopy and the S Restaurant

We now are lucky to have 3 lovely restaurants in Surin.

The Starbeam has some of the best American, British and Mexican food in the country. The owner is friendly and makes sure his customers are cared for.

We now have the Ocsri Canopy (sp) -a CLEAN and FRIENDLY German eatery, with great food and great prices.

And the S Restaurant for those of us seeking to engage our palates in French cuisine!

Let's all try and spread the our trade around to satisfy their operating expenses!!!

Bon appetit!
Dieter

Last edited:
Tried the new Oscri German restaurant right near Starbeam's last night (she's 2 doors down from us). Had the jaegerschnitzel, which comes with roast potatoes, but I swapped the roast potatoes for her hand made 'spaetzel' (like dumpling noodles it is). Excellent meal, good portions, good prices, and a nice place if you want some good German home-cooking. No one else does the spaetzel in Surin as far as I know, and I just love that stuff, tasty and filling. Nice brown gravy with mushrooms over the hunter's schnitzel. I am a fan of German food and hers was a good meal at a good price. I'll be back to try more on her menu. Surin Joe was with me and he had the currywurst and said it was good too.

Mike

She's Thai, her husband is German. They ran a popular German/Thai restaurant in Phuket for some years. He's just come back to Surin yesterday from Germany and I met him briefly in the restaurant last evening. I believe she lived in Germany for some years as well. Could be wrong but I think that was something I was told recently. She ran a similar restaurant in Thep Thani a little while back as well. Nice people. Good food.

Mike

Last edited:
Sounds ok, what about the other numerous restaurants in Surin all still serving great food....... Farang Connection, Norbys, Sportsman, Oasis, Majestic, Petchasim, Corner Garden list is endless...............

I have lived in Thailand for a couple of years now and hoped to get used to and mainly eat Thai food. Unfortunately I have failed in my quest. I do eat some, usually of the non-spicy variety only. Because of this I still predominantly eat Farang food. I have been in Surin for a few months now and although there aren't many Farang places to eat, there are enough to give me a good variety of food.

I started off really only visiting Farang Connection and would complement them on their English breakfasts. I did enjoy the Sunday roast they did, but like a lot of things on their menu it appears to have disappeared.

The next place I tried was Norby's place. The Farang food is German based. He has an excellent menu with lots of things to choose from. The fish in breadcrumbs with potatoes and a mustard sauce is delicious. It comes with a lovely bowl of salad too. Tried the traditional German cold meat and cheese platter for breakfast a couple of times too. Very nice and great value too.

Next place I tried was Starbeam and I have to say that this place provides the best and most varied Farang menu I've seen anywhere in Thailand. For dinner I particularly like the meatloaf with a lovely sauce. Haven't tried any of the Mexican food, but I have seen plates go past me and it does look good too. Starbeam does an excellent breakfast and lunch menu too. Too many choices to detail here. Oh, they do pizzas too. Haven't gotten round to trying one yet, but I heard good reports on them too. The staff are all attentive too.

Baan Glaang Soi is also quite good
http://surincoffeeshops.blogspot.com/2011/07/baan-glaang-soi-coffee-shop-restaurant.html

landsurinjuly+084+%2528Large%2529.jpg

Excellent website. Looking forward to trying out all these lovely looking coffee shops.

I would guess its Pork ..
Not looking quite as good as Mike starbeams or the Germans ,BUT I will try it and find out :smile:
There is a couple of other places in town doing this dish Wonder if there all the same guys ?

Attracted by the photo above I went looking for this place this morning for a coffee and check out the menu. Couldn't find it.
Went up and down every soi close to the private hospital at a pace that would have got me arrested for kerb-crawling in the UK.
Could someone give me more precise directions? Thanks guys.

Attracted by the photo above I went looking for this place this morning for a coffee and check out the menu. Couldn't find it.
Went up and down every soi close to the private hospital at a pace that would have got me arrested for kerb-crawling in the UK.
Could someone give me more precise directions? Thanks guys.
Pass the private hospital on your left. Go through the intersection with the traffic light (Honda dealer on the left) and make your first left on the small soi that has a number 2 on the road name sign. Then make your first right on the next small soi and it will be a short ways up on your left. It took me three tries to find it also.

Back