Surin.Attack on respected teacher angers students past and present

gotlost

Kap Chong R Us Member
Attack on respected teacher angers students past and present

s3a.jpg

Image: Daily News

SURIN: An attack on a respected teacher at a well known Surin school has brought a wave of sympathy from past and present students.

The teacher of the school, that was not named, was punched to the ground by a M 1 (year 8) student. He ended up in hospital with blood
on the brain and required surgery, reported Daily News.

There are suspicions from students online that nothing is being done about the attack to protect the good name of the school.

But one alumnus called "Boy" said he had been into the school he left three years ago to confront the person who had carried out the attack.
"I didn't go to fight him, " said Boy. "I went to ask him why he did that. He said matter of factly "I just knocked him over"".

Boy said that the teacher concerned was head of a unit that tried to help wayward students. He was enormously respected and loved by
everyone at the school.

"I can't believe that anyone would hurt him, "he added. "He is like a second father to me and when I heard what happened I had to try and do
something".

Many students and alumni went online to condemn the attack as pictures of the teacher recovering in hospital were shared.

Source: Daily News

-- 2016-07-15

Corporal punishment is useless. I was educated at a school where caning was a common punishment. It was a matter of pride for the boys, and many preferred it to such punishments as 'lines' (copying out a sentence, say, 100 times).

If the boy who committed the attack was M1, (Year 7 not 8) he was likely not more than 12 years old. He was clearly a wayward boy, one of the ones no doubt under the teachers care. There should be a place for such delinquent kids (in the Uk there is/was Borstal), and such kids should be earmarked at the earliest opportunity for conscription. There are enough wayward kids in Thailand to fill all the places for the 2 year army stint, without messing up the lives of decent kids who want to study, go to universtity and get on with their lives.without harming others.

IB I went to schools where corporal punishment was administered but only by the headmaster or deputy and only for serious offenses such as fighting. More common forms of punishment were writing lines or detention during lunch break. Getting the cane was not considered a badge of honor. It fn hurt.

Looked after by the generals, they would be unlikely to misbehave. As long as they never became PM.
These kids spend around 80% of their lives outside school so I believe, that is the time when they need to be 'controlled' somehow.
Maybe if there was some kind of parents charter enforced then the delinquents might not be left to turn feral across Isaan and cause problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IB I went to schools where corporal punishment was administered but only by the headmaster or deputy and only for serious offenses such as fighting. More common forms of punishment were writing lines or detention during lunch break. Getting the cane was not considered a badge of honor. It fn hurt.

At my school it was similar as Night Stocker for a caning, they also had detention and punishment drill which was carried out by the PE teachers.

These kids spend around 80% of their lives outside school so I believe, that is the time when they need to be 'controlled' somehow.
Maybe if there was some kind of parents charter enforced then the delinquents might not be left to turn feral across Isaan and cause problems.

Most of the parents are away from home for nearly all the year, returning at New year and Songkran, when its just 4.5 days of constant drinking and card playing. The kids are of no concern. For the rest of the year Gran takes care-whatever that means.

"For the rest of the year Gran takes care-whatever that means." It probably means no parental care whatsoever. And even when the parents are at home I suspect it means much the same anyway.

It certainly does in my village. A neighbours son was my sons best friend until he was about 13. He was polite and quiet. He then went off the rails. Parents did not care. He didn't go to school. Hasn't been since. They bought him a bike (irresponsible at 13) He hung out with a bad lot, parents had to pay 100,000bt because he "messed" with a young girl. Last month he was locked up overnight in the police cells for blowing out the lights of street lights in Prakhonchai. Fined with costs 7,000baht. What next?.

Tomorrow my son is 17, My wife and I am proud of him. Last week he received a commendation from school for handing in found money. The other kid is also 17 next week. Not much hope for him,.

Caning was not particularly common in my school, and was only administered by housemasters, I think. More usual was a thing called Dates. You had to buy a chart of dates from world history, and if you were given 10 times dates, you had to copy out the dates appropriate for that term ten times. First you had to work out which were the right dates, as it wasn't so straightforward.

We had one guy who used to throw a wooden blackboard cleaner at unruly kids. The other deterrent was the slipper (not cane)

We had one guy who used to throw a wooden blackboard cleaner at unruly kids. The other deterrent was the slipper (not cane)

My school had what was known as the TOLLEY. It was effectively a large shoe sole sized piece of leather mounted on the end of a wooden pole approx 60cms in length. Punishment was meted out every lunchtime. A student who had committed an offence was given a hand written note (the duplicate was sent to the punishing teacher) He took that note to the teacher who was empowered on that particular day to hand out punishment based on the offence.. It was HIS decision how many "slaps" on the hand one would receive. Some teachers were far more barbaric than others! For very serious offences, the headmaster would mete out punishment with a cane on the buttocks. However his eyesight was poor, and most kids padded their trousers before receiving punishment.

As the song goes: It ain't what you do, it's the way that you do it.

Our old maths teacher was as soft as they came. He would cane lads in almost every class (or so it seemed.) It had no effect whatsoever. they ran him ragged.
Our biology teacher was a nice guy, and caned some of the kids some of the time. Those who were basically good lads wouldn't do it twice. The so-called hard-knocks wore their punishment as a badge of honour, and regularly re-offended.
Our history teacher was an animal. One word out of place, and you'd be bent over a desk in an instant, with a very thin, flexible cane swishing loudly followed by an agonised yell from the recipient. One swipe was enough, but he'd be generous with the hard-knocks and give them six if warranted. They seldom came back for more - badge or no badge. He too had a wooden board duster, and a deadly aim.

It illustrates that every teacher "handled" the situation differently, and the results reflected their methods.

Our geography teacher had a black rubber plimsoll that he'd split from the toe towards the heel. He commanded respect from all in his classes, who produced better work - probably as a result of there being less disruption.

I agree that corporal punishment won't stop all delinquents, but it certainly put the majority of recipients back on the straight and narrow, and deterred some kids from ever transgressing.

It is the same with the laws of the land. No punishment (short of capital) will ever stop a determined recidivist, but the degree of punishment metted out can prevent some from re-offending, and can deter others from breaking laws in the first place.

Should all teachers, policemen or courts be allowed to administer corporal punishment? Probably not. As the above examples illustrate, both the recipient and the walloper come in different styles, producing more effective results in some cases than in others.

I remember that there was a punishment book at school, in which the pupils names, offences, punishments, and punishers names were listed, together with the dates. the book was analysed on a regular basis, with further consequences for those pupils who featured regularly. There was probably a" league table" of the most-feared teachers too - those being the ones where the lads didn't come back for more.

Back