Surin.Attack on respected teacher angers students past and present

Back in the late 70s-early80s I was Head of Middle School in a prestigious, selective London day school for boys. Corporal punishment had been wholesale before that but, in my time, was only performed by the Headmaster, recorded in a book and witnessed by...well, little old me.

Most of the boys preferred it to the alternatives, eg calling in parents or the educational psychologist. It was over and done with.

I have a clear and very strong memory of one particular young chap, aged around 13 at the time, I won't give his name though I still remember it, who had transgressed in such a way that a caning was the most appropriate punishment.

The Head called him in, with me as witness. "XXX", said the Head, "I am going to cane you, bend over that chair."

XXX replied, remember, 13 years old, "On the contrary, Sir, you are not. I disagree fundamentally with all forms of corporal punishment."

Head, "XXX, over that chair!"

XXX, "I am afraid not, Sir!"

He went free and other methods were used. I would love to meet that young chap again now, probably in his 50s, and shake him by the hand.

I remember that there was a punishment book at school, in which the pupils names, offences, punishments, and punishers names were listed, together with the dates.

Reminds me of the ledger in the gatehouse at Butlins in Skegness. 1966 I think.

Attack on respected teacher angers students past and present

s3a.jpg

Image: Daily News

SURIN: An attack on a respected teacher at a well known Surin school has brought a wave of sympathy from past and present students.

The teacher of the school, that was not named, was punched to the ground by a M 1 (year 8) student. He ended up in hospital with blood
on the brain and required surgery, reported Daily News.

There are suspicions from students online that nothing is being done about the attack to protect the good name of the school.

But one alumnus called "Boy" said he had been into the school he left three years ago to confront the person who had carried out the attack.
"I didn't go to fight him, " said Boy. "I went to ask him why he did that. He said matter of factly "I just knocked him over"".
Boy said that the teacher concerned was head of a unit that tried to help wayward students. He was enormously respected and loved by
everyone at the school.

"I can't believe that anyone would hurt him, "he added. "He is like a second father to me and when I heard what happened I had to try and do
something". Many students and alumni went online to condemn the attack as pictures of the teacher recovering in hospital were shared.
Source: Daily News

I have it on good authority (SWMBO) that the 'teacher' was the deputy director of the school and suffered a blood clot on the brain following the physical assault by the M1 boy. Reportedly, the boy hit/punched the deputy director around 20 times after being punishment (told to clean the school for a week or so) after committing yet another misdemeanor. Apparently, he was 13 years old, big for his age and a bully/thug. He should have been in M2 but, because of his previous record, had been back tracked to M1. SWMBO confirms the Director took no action in an attempt to keep the good name of his school. It was the family of the injured deputy director, some other parents whose children had been victimised by the boy and a senior minister from the Department of Education, that decided the police should be called in to sort out the matter. I am also informed that the boy in question is no longer at the school and is doing time in a Juvenile Detention Center (monkey house).

Power of the Internet brings teenage hoodlum to justice - but is the punishment enough?

SURIN: The story of a brazen attack by a 14 year old student on a respected Surin teacher who was also the deputy director of the school has caused much comment in Thailand this week. The attack happened in front of a hundred students and teachers but the school was charged online with a cover up.

Despite the teacher being hospitalized with blood on the brain and needing surgery, the school director has now said that the boy will be forgiven and allowed to continue at the school. He will be given some "probation".

This is despite the fact that the M1 (Year 8) student has been involved in many misdemeanors in the past.

His parents have apologized to the assaulted teacher who is a much loved counsellor of the well known establishment that has not been named.

Police have, however, charged the boy with assault.

Earlier an online picture of the teacher concerned had been posted by a person using the name Pam Kunnawasakul who referred to their popular teacher as grandfather:

The poster said: "This is our grandfather. He has blood on the brain and has had to undergo emergency surgery. He was attacked by a 14 year old M1 student at the school opposite the army base. It was a violent attack on a man who is also the deputy director of the school. He was assaulted in full view of a hundred teachers and students. But it has all gone quiet. Is he just to be left to carry on studying at the school as if nothing happened to our grandfather? The director needs to take action against the student rather than just protect the good name of the school".

Reporters caught up with the director yesterday who was not named. He said: "Originally we were going to expel the boy as he has been responsible for multiple infractions. But if we do that it may cause more problems for society than it solves. We need to teach him the right way to behave.

"The parents have been called in and have apologized to the deputy director. The boy will be put on probation so that he does not repeat this behavior. And the legal process will run its course", he added.

The legal process has been somewhat more direct. Police took the boy and his parents to court where he was initially charged with assault This can be upgraded to causing grievous bodily harm if doctors report that the victim is still undergoing treatment after 20 days.

He was taken into protective care but an application for bail is expected to be made by the parents.

-- 2016-07-16

Heard it on the grapevine.
Yes, she did hear it on the grapevine in person at our children's school the day before (Friday afternoon). Mind you, the news came from an impeccable source and a relative of the deputy director too. I had not seen the post on TV until GL posted the article on here. You also have to remember the Thai grapevine is much quicker these days than the jungle drums of old. SWMBO is a PTA (parent teacher's association) representative for both years 2 and 5 and many of the parents, some 90+ of them, keep in touch daily with LINE. Sometimes the jungle drums are beating so quickly, and noisily, I have to turn off her smart phone for a bit of peace and quiet. LOL!

Power of the Internet brings teenage hoodlum to justice - but is the punishment enough?

SURIN: The story of a brazen attack by a 14 year old student on a respected Surin teacher who was also the deputy director of the school has caused much comment in Thailand this week. The attack happened in front of a hundred students and teachers but the school was charged online with a cover up.

Despite the teacher being hospitalized with blood on the brain and needing surgery, the school director has now said that the boy will be forgiven and allowed to continue at the school. He will be given some "probation".

This is despite the fact that the M1 (Year 8) student has been involved in many misdemeanors in the past.

His parents have apologized to the assaulted teacher who is a much loved counsellor of the well known establishment that has not been named.

Police have, however, charged the boy with assault.

Earlier an online picture of the teacher concerned had been posted by a person using the name Pam Kunnawasakul who referred to their popular teacher as grandfather:

The poster said: "This is our grandfather. He has blood on the brain and has had to undergo emergency surgery. He was attacked by a 14 year old M1 student at the school opposite the army base. It was a violent attack on a man who is also the deputy director of the school. He was assaulted in full view of a hundred teachers and students. But it has all gone quiet. Is he just to be left to carry on studying at the school as if nothing happened to our grandfather? The director needs to take action against the student rather than just protect the good name of the school".

Reporters caught up with the director yesterday who was not named. He said: "Originally we were going to expel the boy as he has been responsible for multiple infractions. But if we do that it may cause more problems for society than it solves. We need to teach him the right way to behave.

"The parents have been called in and have apologized to the deputy director. The boy will be put on probation so that he does not repeat this behavior. And the legal process will run its course", he added.

The legal process has been somewhat more direct. Police took the boy and his parents to court where he was initially charged with assault This can be upgraded to causing grievous bodily harm if doctors report that the victim is still undergoing treatment after 20 days.

He was taken into protective care but an application for bail is expected to be made by the parents.

-- 2016-07-16
Publically flog the little c**t.

Back