Surin Drinking Holes

Cent

FORUM SPONSOR
Okay, how about listing some drinking holes around the city some of you enjoy. Give us some beer prices and drink prices, and some reasons why you like to drink in the joint. When's the best time of day or night to go there for a drink or two (or more). Does it have AC? Fans at least? Good music playing? Live music? Sports on the TV? Good staff? Personable and friendly sociable people drinking in there? Bar snacks? Appetizers menu? Prices?

I'll start. It's been about 5 years since I hung out much around Surin town. I had favorite places to go with friends for a drink, some in the day time, some in the night time.

One I used to like was the Cafe Italia. I went there quite a bit during the afternoons. It has AC. It has, or had anyway, sexy young wait staff who were friendly and personable, flirty, and appreciated a good tip for their good service. It has music, but nothing worth mentioning as it was Thai Pop mainly (but not loud at least). It has cold beers (I'll get some prices and beer brands when I go there, possibly, later in the week for a drink and a chat with friends.) They have some outdoor tables and chairs too. They have a small bar with some decent alcohol as well (Jim Beam, Wild Turkey), and some snacks/cookies/cakes and some small Thai appetizers as well. It is situated diagonally across from where the 'old' Japanese restaurant was located, just past and across the street from the Tawan Dang rock & roll club. There's covered parking for motocykes around the side, as well as a few parking spaces for cars.

You'll likely see me in there once a week or so of an afternoon once I am done with the moving and shutting down of Starbeam's (they're taking out the glass in front today - ACs were taken out yesterday). Haven't been there in ages and hope it is still of the ambiance and quality that it was a few years back. Anyone go in there lately?

Mike

Last edited:
It still has sexy waitresses!
That WAS my 'office' for meetings with my Lawyer a while back! ThumbUp6
I think I have only ever seen Heini beer for sale there, although I am not 100% sure.

Sad creature that I am, I only go to Cafe Italia from time to time for a morning latte ron and read the BKKPost....
Waitresses are still lovely. I have no idea about the alcoholic beverages or the food/snacks as I have never tried them.
Oh well...

An even sadder creature am I. The most recent places I have been for a coffee or an iced tea are at the bottom of the footbridge opposite Anubarn Surin School at 4 o'clock in the afternoon. A large iced tea is only 20 baht. Lots of people passing by, mostly school children with their mums and dads. Me, I am waiting for my two children to come out of the school and I do not fancy the 70 steps up and down across the footbridge to pick them up at the other side of the road. My poor old knees won't take it!

I like "Brian's Porch" along the Klong. Although I enjoy a drink at many local establishments the "Porch" has always been my all around favorite drinking hole for the past 6 years. iI's a no frills place. You need to buy your beer about a half a block at the mom and pop shop, but the beer is always cheap and cold. The "Porch" itself has 2 plastic chairs with room for possibly a third. Drinking can start as early as 1300 and usually winds down when Brian starts to wobble.

I like "Brian's Porch" along the Klong. Although I enjoy a drink at many local establishments the "Porch" has always been my all around favorite drinking hole for the past 6 years. iI's a no frills place. You need to buy your beer about a half a block at the mom and pop shop, but the beer is always cheap and cold. The "Porch" itself has 2 plastic chairs with room for possibly a third. Drinking can start as early as 1300 and usually winds down when Brian starts to wobble.
Sounds similar to the place I usually drink at called "Joe's Carport". Much cheaper and easier to find my way home.

Cent - just to show how confused your English makes me...

I see the thread titled, "Surin Drinking Holes".
OK, maybe Cent might be utilizing upper-crust language.

Immediately I say to myself ,"That is something I know quite a bit about as I was
quite the late night party-hardee in my early dayz."

I wrote down a list of approximately 50 ladies and which bar they could be found to join you for drinks.

Then after reading the post above I realized you're talking about "establishments that serve beverages" ; not ladies !
Shyte Cent - I am really clueless. Your ENGLISH confused me.

As I'm an "over-sexed American" (thank you Eric C) I assumed your "Subject Title" was referring to ladyz. :redface:

As rapper Fifty-Cent sings, "I like ta par-teey wit my Favo drinkin' hoes..."
Moon2

Have you been using Google Translate for the above? Looks like it cos I can't understand it.

make every song your favourite tune

Have you been using Google Translate for the above? Looks like it cos I can't understand it.

Eric,
Of course you can not - simply because you are an English speaker (deferring that English is the language of the UK).

This 'play on words' satire (a la Shakespeare) was written in American language.

For practical assistance consider reading 'Poetry from Slim Shady' aka lyrics written by Eminem (born Marshall Mathers).

ps: What date will this school term finish for you ?

response to Nomad

I do not know what Coffee is taking but can I have some too!Chokdee5

No Nomad - YOU MAY NOT !!!!
Remember, you have to man the lifeboats to save the weeeeeemon & children (what a booooring task, as you will readily admit).

What ever happened to answering the call of , "Rape , pillage and burn !" ?
Sounds so quaintly romantic and medieval , doesn't it ?
(You just can't leave that stuff to the enlisted men of 2day, can you ?)

By the time you've been sitting and 'manning' the life boat without your I-pod for a few hours without a proper dram getting thoroughly soaked ; the 'women & children' will finally have loaded up their I-phones, tablets, cosmetics, dolls and amulets submerging your 'dingy'.
All this while your hearty retriever shall have already advanced on your command with that last case of Leo that you carefully stocked away within his 'dog house' and swam to higher , safer and drier ground...possibly within the environs of an English tavern.
(You do remember that case of Leo that you hid away in case 'She Who Must Be Obeyed' gave you the cold shoulder...don't you ?)

May we address you affectionately as 'Mr Tee' or just plain 'Matey' ?
Dream1 Put down the pipe and be a good boy...

??????????????????????????

Dear Bear.
May I seriously suggest you take the following in order :
- four doses (episodes) of 'Black Adder" (Rowan Atkinson)
- two doses of 'Faulty Towers' Basil (played by John Cleese)
- a wee bit of 'Lord Peter Whimsey' (only a wee bit)

When you are finally finished laughing you can go back and try to understand my words spoken in context to today's earlier "Save the women & children" ("manning the lifeboats") from Nomad found in ChatBox instant-messaging.

If the prescription mentioned above can not give you a rise...no worries.

Last edited by a moderator:
No Nomad - YOU MAY NOT !!!!
Remember, you have to man the lifeboats to save the weeeeeemon & children (what a booooring task, as you will readily admit).

What ever happened to answering the call of , "Rape , pillage and burn !" ?
Sounds so quaintly romantic and medieval , doesn't it ?
(You just can't leave that stuff to the enlisted men of 2day, can you ?)

By the time you've been sitting and 'manning' the life boat without your I-pod for a few hours without a proper dram getting thoroughly soaked ; the 'women & children' will finally have loaded up their I-phones, tablets, cosmetics, dolls and amulets submerging your 'dingy'.
All this while your hearty retriever shall have already advanced on your command with that last case of Leo that you carefully stocked away within his 'dog house' and swam to higher , safer and drier ground...possibly within the environs of an English tavern.
(You do remember that case of Leo that you hid away in case 'She Who Must Be Obeyed' gave you the cold shoulder...don't you ?)

May we address you affectionately as 'Mr Tee' or just plain 'Matey' ?
Dream1 Put down the pipe and be a good boy...

Coffee, thanks for the PM and thanks for this lovely post. As a Brit I fully understand the sense of humour as I was brought up on Monty Python, Black Adder and Fauwlty Towers with dear old Basil. Great comedy, great series.

Mind you, I still think you must be smoking some serious 'shit' round in your house! Are you sure I can't have some too?

"Baldrick, Baldrick ! Just where is that muck-heap son of a sloth ?"

Nomad,
Must be the Romeo y Julietta Churchill maduros along with MonkeyFight strong-brewed coffee.
That stated, some people see the world with a different light.
That's just my style of expressing :rolleyes:

I see from Dennis's facebook page that The Sports Bar has closed, opposite to the Farang Connection. Its going to be a Thai restaurant.

Can anyone confirm that this info is correct?

According to the Elephant and Castle Surin Facebook page it has closed, Ivor.

Back