Thai Law re: Soi Dogs

Don't underestimate what those mongrel dogs can do to you. About two weeks ago a supposedly nice Bull Terrier belonging to a relative bit my nephew on his dominant hand when he reached out to pet it, requiring surgery. And serioius infections are common from dog bites.View attachment 74584
Where did this happen? Cali? Or Thailand?

Bull Terrier = 'mongrel dog' ?

Reads like a purebred Bull Terrier.
Let me guess...a stranger reaching for the back, neck or head of an (unproven stranger-friendly) Pit Bull terrier.

I'm sure glad your nephew did not try to kiss it or place his arms hugging the canine's neck.
How old is your nephew ?

Sorry to read about this unfortunate incident.
Hopefully a lesson learned by both your nephew 's and relatives families.
A muzzle sometimes is appropriate.

Wishing your nephew a clean and swift recovery.

Noted: That is a very strange looking dog 'bite'.
How old is the dog?
I hope it was fully vaccinated.

I could, but am not going to, show you the dog bite on my Wife's bum.

No, she wasn't trying to reach out, hug or kiss the dog with her bum. Just sitting talking with a friend and it ran up and tried to take a hunk out. Years ago and not as bad as pictured. They are just faded scars now.

More often than not, it is 'not' a shared responsibility like this one.

IMO, Thailand is in need of a more robust Animal 'Control' system. Not an Animal 'Protection' Act.

Mandatory tagging/vaccination would be a good place to start.

-sterling

I could, but am not going to, show you the dog bite on my Wife's bum.

No, she wasn't trying to reach out, hug or kiss the dog with her bum. Just sitting talking with a friend and it ran up and tried to take a hunk out. Years ago and not as bad as pictured. They are just faded scars now.

More often than not, it is 'not' a shared responsibility like this one.

IMO, Thailand is in need of a more robust Animal 'Control' system. Not an Animal 'Protection' Act.

Mandatory tagging/vaccination would be a good place to start.

-sterling
"Thailand is in need of a more robust Animal 'Control' system. Not an Animal 'Protection' Act.

They do not even have any sort of Animal Control System, let alone a more robust one, that I know of.

I was bitten many years ago, one late evening by a stray Tom cat that used to visit my garden regularly and was always very friendly. Only a minor cut, but I went to the hospital (was taken as a bit pissed) and had a rabies jab, and a tetanus jab. . Reason for the bite was that I stopped him whilst preparing to mount my barely old enough kitten. I might have done the same had the roles been reversed.:)

However over the years the Tom cat and I became the very best of friends, he became part of the family, lived in, and sadly died a month ago from old age.

"Thailand is in need of a more robust Animal 'Control' system. Not an Animal 'Protection' Act.

They do not even have any sort of Animal Control System, let alone a more robust one, that I know of.
Yingluk brought it in under some pressure form animal rights groups with absolutely no support in the way of animal control.
They wiped out the bucket truck trade over night. it is truly amazing what they can and can't do. Only because the public allowed it.

Way off topic but you guys may not of noticed, Thai TV at the moment normalizing gay relationships to the main stream. (Nothing wrong with that)
But what they are doing, is heading off any same sex marriage back lash. None seen so far so I think the public have allowed that one through.

I was bitten many years ago, one late evening by a stray Tom cat that used to visit my garden regularly and was always very friendly. Only a minor cut, but I went to the hospital (was taken as a bit pissed) and had a rabies jab, and a tetanus jab. . Reason for the bite was that I stopped him whilst preparing to mount my barely old enough kitten. I might have done the same had the roles been reversed.:)

However over the years the Tom cat and I became the very best of friends, he became part of the family, lived in, and sadly died a month ago from old age.
Even cats so it seems. :)

Possibly. I was always told over the years gone by that they were Cambodian traders. Was also told that ALL totally black dogs were prized as they were considered to be the tastiest (god knows why or how that would be). Maybe they were Cambo traders collecting the dogs and selling them to VN. Neither here nor there, but I've never met a Thai, Lao-Thai or Cambodian-Thai that would admit to eating dog meat. :) Wish they would come around here. There are shitloads of black stray dogs around here. :) I did used to see the trucks around in the village and in Surin years ago. Usually plastic goods were given for each dog turned in to them.
Speak to Peter Spoons. The locals ate his dog that he got 'shipped' over from Ozzy after it got hit by a truck.

Another 'old wives tale' that I was told, is that other dogs always know if a person has eaten dog-meat and keep away from you!!

Speak to Peter Spoons. The locals ate his dog that he got 'shipped' over from Ozzy after it got hit by a truck.

Another 'old wives tale' that I was told, is that other dogs always know if a person has eaten dog-meat and keep away from you!!
Imported dog meat is tastier. Sort of like Aussie beef tastes better than Thai beef. :)

DSCF0226.JPG
Caught them in the act. Took the last of my new pullet chickens.

Full video shows them pulling and tearing at the shade cloth, pulling the cage around until the cinder block on top falls off, tipping cage over on its side, and chasing young chicken off screen. A screech can be heard a few seconds after that.

Kept the Isbars in this separate cage as a] they were still small, but Wife wanted them out of the house, and 2] the Rhode Islands were harassing the pullets, and did not want the young Isbar with them. Sorry ladies, but based on egg performance for the last month [Only 1 ?!?], I see a stewpot in your future.

Village Headman will not do anything. Thailand law and mindset are such that they 'protect' rogue dogs, and do not 'control' them. Nevertheless, I want compensation from the owner and will be pushing for that now that I have photo evidence. I have been calling these particular dogs, "The Three Brothers". They look like clones of each other, run together. They harass other dogs, my birds, and cows/calves in the fields. I won't get it, but want to hear him say 'no'.

I have been begging Wife to contact a coop builder for over a year. -points to second little pigs's house of sticks- (circled in blue below) "We have coop, this is good enough." Wife did not want to build what 'I' think of as a coop, but finally relented a couple of weeks ago when the ducks were attacked for the third, and regretfully 'final' time. -or broke out, according to her. (Apparently one of them called on the power of Greyskull, pried the bars apart, and made his bid for freedom, leaving feathers and bloody body parts strewn across the yard.)

1713233793274.png

Thailand has some very strange ideas about chicken coops. (Old coop circled), new coop (incomplete) is what they 'think' I want (pictures don't help them to understand, apparently). Nobody asked for it to be a half meter off the ground. Oh, well. Wife is in control of the project. As long as I get security for the chickens, she can do what she likes.

Hurricane (Chain link) and electric fencing planned around all.

Yeah, way over engineered, and no, I'm not scammed if I KNOW I'm over paying.

S__18219016-a.jpg

At least it's started now, even if it is going to be two days too late for my poor chickens.

Ordered 2x dozen eggs and will start over, -again. This makes three.

-sterling

View attachment 74787
Caught them in the act. Took the last of my new pullet chickens.

Full video shows them pulling and tearing at the shade cloth, pulling the cage around until the cinder block on top falls off, tipping cage over on its side, and chasing young chicken off screen. A screech can be heard a few seconds after that.

Kept the Isbars in this separate cage as a] they were still small, but Wife wanted them out of the house, and 2] the Rhode Islands were harassing the pullets, and did not want the young Isbar with them. Sorry ladies, but based on egg performance for the last month [Only 1 ?!?], I see a stewpot in your future.

Village Headman will not do anything. Thailand law and mindset are such that they 'protect' rogue dogs, and do not 'control' them. Nevertheless, I want compensation from the owner and will be pushing for that now that I have photo evidence. I have been calling these particular dogs, "The Three Brothers". They look like clones of each other, run together. They harass other dogs, my birds, and cows/calves in the fields. I won't get it, but want to hear him say 'no'.

I have been begging Wife to contact a coop builder for over a year. -points to second little pigs's house of sticks- (circled in blue below) "We have coop, this is good enough." Wife did not want to build what 'I' think of as a coop, but finally relented a couple of weeks ago when the ducks were attacked for the third, and regretfully 'final' time. -or broke out, according to her. (Apparently one of them called on the power of Greyskull, pried the bars apart, and made his bid for freedom, leaving feathers and bloody body parts strewn across the yard.)

View attachment 74789

Thailand has some very strange ideas about chicken coops. (Old coop circled), new coop (incomplete) is what they 'think' I want (pictures don't help them to understand, apparently). Nobody asked for it to be a half meter off the ground. Oh, well. Wife is in control of the project. As long as I get security for the chickens, she can do what she likes.

Hurricane (Chain link) and electric fencing planned around all.

Yeah, way over engineered, and no, I'm not scammed if I KNOW I'm over paying.

View attachment 74788

At least it's started now, even if it is going to be two days too late for my poor chickens.

Ordered 2x dozen eggs and will start over, -again. This makes three.

-sterling
My daughter had some chickens in the yard. A small enclosed wooden 'coop', surrounded by a chain link fence, with chain link 'roof' as well for their run (hawks attacking from above). I would dig a trench where the chain link will go and set the bottom of the fence into the wet concrete to keep the mutts from just digging under the fence to get at the chickens. 12 inches deep should do the trick.

Looks like you are now getting a proper coop. :) (You do realize by now they never listen. Farang do not know. Farang not know how Thais do.) Well, we do. That is why we make 'intelligent' suggestions, and actually fund their half baked projects. :) They just refuse to listen to the stupid farang who doesn't know, supposedly, what he is talking about. LOL

They do things their way more often than not as they do not want to spend any money to do it proper. They've been doing it half assed for decades, if not centuries. If things go awry, hey, My Bpen Rai. Never mind. Up to Buddha. And usually, not 'their' money invested as it likely is coming out of your pocket each time.

Last edited:
(You do realize by now they never listen. Farang do not know. Farang not know how Thais do.) Well, we do. That is why we make 'intelligent' suggestions, and actually fund their half baked projects. :) They just refuse to listen to the stupid farang who doesn't know, supposedly, what he is talking about. LOL

They do things their way more often than not as they do not want to spend any money to do it proper. They've been doing it half assed for decades...

On so many levels. Bingo!

And yet here we are! :p ...far and away from those intelligent western bee-atches, heh. :)

On so many levels. Bingo!

And yet here we are! :p ...far and away from those intelligent western bee-atches, heh. :)
Well, intelligence is just one part of having a good woman. I am not saying they are not intelligent here, they just have their own 'Thai' way of doing things ingrained in their heads and culture they have been taught since childhood. And as I said, a lot has to do with finances. They do what they can afford, and not a baht more, even when they see things have failed. They 'do what they can' and how they have seen the adults do things throughout their lives. They, many, are not stupid, just uneducated in ways they've never seen and been taught. As you all well know they are taught that they are smarter than the west and superior to all farang. :)

Well, intelligence is just one part of having a good woman.
....And as I said, a lot has to do with finances.

Funny you should mention that.

Yesterday i sat down with a good women and the Uni daughter to write out a budget to attend a Masters Engineering program in 2025.

I literally left the room as they conversed in Thai.

It would be easy if it was only one daughter...but there are two. "Have to be fair", said the good woman.

The shock comes when their mother (alias good woman) sees in writing the THB amounts the two daughters receive monthly and fully comprehends with clarity exactly what amount she ISN'T receiving. (!!)

How easily forgotten how the past family life was just a dozen years ago. :p

Atta boy @DailyLunatic , you finally are building a secure enclosure. (Thumbs up.)

Has any villager claimed canine ownership ?
Of course not.

Showed the clip on Facebook and one of Wife's friends has already identified who she believes the owner to be. Not that that person has claimed ownership, but it's more than I had yesterday.

My daughter had some chickens in the yard. A small enclosed wooden 'coop', surrounded by a chain link fence, with chain link 'roof' as well for their run (hawks attacking from above). I would dig a trench where the chain link will go and set the bottom of the fence into the wet concrete to keep the mutts from just digging under the fence to get at the chickens. 12 inches deep should do the trick.

Looks like you are now getting a proper coop. :) (You do realize by now they never listen. Farang do not know. Farang not know how Thais do.) Well, we do. That is why we make 'intelligent' suggestions, and actually fund their half baked projects. :) They just refuse to listen to the stupid farang who doesn't know, supposedly, what he is talking about. LOL

They do things their way more often than not as they do not want to spend any money to do it proper. They've been doing it half assed for decades, if not centuries. If things go awry, hey, My Bpen Rai. Never mind. Up to Buddha. And usually, not 'their' money invested as it likely is coming out of your pocket each time.

Hadn't though of burying in concrete. Let me see if it can be modified.

I have ordered and received an electric fence and plan to have it at around the whole enclosure, and eventually, the whole property.

BTW - I looked on Shopee, and Lazada, and could not find an Electrical Fence Warning Sign in Thai. Found in English, and is Burmese (weird). Anybody have a source I can hang?

1713242138311.png

-sterling

Funny you should mention that.

Yesterday i sat down with a good women and the Uni daughter to write out a budget to attend a Masters Engineering program in 2025.

I literally left the room as they conversed in Thai.

It would be easy if it was only one daughter...but there are two. "Have to be fair", said the good woman.

The shock comes when their mother (alias good woman) sees in writing the THB amounts the two daughters receive monthly and fully comprehends with clarity exactly what amount she ISN'T receiving. (!!)

How easily forgotten how the past family life was just a dozen years ago. :p
These are her daughters? She must realize to get a good education costs these days, and hopefully they can help her in her golden years when you are gone. And she has what you have provided and are providing in many ways over the years for her future.

Starbeam has been graduated and diplomaed out of uni and doing her own business for her own income for some years now. I do remember the costs of those years when she was in uni, especially when she was in China rather than Bangkok for three years of her education. She's actually off in China for a few days now with a few school friends at the newer Universal Studios theme park. All financed out of her own pocket. :cool:

Showed the clip on Facebook and one of Wife's friends has already identified who she believes the owner to be. Not that that person has claimed ownership, but it's more than I had yesterday.

I have ordered and received an electric fence and plan to have it at around the whole enclosure, and eventually, the whole property.

BTW - I looked on Shopee, and Lazada, and could not find an Electrical Fence Warning Sign in Thai. Found in English, and is Burmese (weird). Anybody have a source I can hang?

View attachment 74794

-sterling
Go to a sign maker and have them made.

Go to a sign maker and have them made.

I've put the call out for sign makers to family already. If they come back empty, I'll just find some random place online and have native speaking Step-Daughter order for me.

Got an English one on order already, but don't want to be accused of not giving sufficient warning. I'm not certain what legal obligations there might be so I'm playing CYA.

-sterling

View attachment 74794

-sterling
So, the electric fence will be on in the evenings when the chickens are inside the coop? Once finished I'd love to see some video of the dogs trying to get in and getting a 'shock' of their lives. LOL Does the fencing have intensity levels of electric you can adjust? :smilingimp:

So, the electric fence will be on in the evenings when the chickens are inside the coop? Once finished I'd love to see some video of the dogs trying to get in and getting a 'shock' of their lives. LOL Does the fencing have intensity levels of electric you can adjust? :smilingimp:

Yes, but it's only 10A, so nothing TOO major. IMO, because it's solar, the fence can be left on 24/7 at no additional expense. Reason being that the dogs have been seen frequently during the day, snooping for later.

Wife is just going to have to adjust.

-sterling

Back