That time again

When the Thai government stopped us being able to do marriage based one year visas through the US Thai consulates (I used the Boston one many times) I heard about the Savanakhet option through friends who had used this option. Came into Thailand that trip on a tourist visa, decided to give this a try. My wife and I grabbed a bus up to Mukdahan, grabbed a nice hotel there (there are plenty of cheap dodgy places you can stay if wanted) and did the bus ride to the Laos border, did the crossing, went to the Consulate with our paperwork and 5K baht cash that morning, got a hotel for the night and went back next day and got my new 1 year marriage based multiple entry O visa and crossed back into Thailand that same day. Since then we drive up to Mukdahan each year and stay a few days. Savanakhet is cool, some nice restaurants, decent hotels, and good pubs around, coffee shops with pastries, great French breads, cheap big beer Lao, etc. Thai consulates can do what they want for issuing visas. They are not under the control of the Immigration offices rules and regulations. I don't know why more of the married to Thai retired farangs don't do the same.
"I don't know why more of the married-to-Thai retired farangs don't do the same."

I can think of many reasons why not. Firstly, pulling two kids out of school for two or three days every 3 months would disrupt their learning. Secondly, my annual extension in Surin only cost 1,900 baht a year, plus 300 baht with bank fees, and I can do the extension in a couple of hours when my kids are at school. Moreover, the Savannaket option would cost significantly more than 2,200 baht a year, maybe well over 20,000 baht with 4 visits a year, with fuel and hotel costs, food, etc., thrown in. Thirdly, I no longer enjoy being mobile as I have health issues and can no longer walk unassisted. Finally, it's a lot of messing around when the alternative is here in Surin and on our doorstep. Since 2004 I have never had problems with the annual extension. Providing you take the time and trouble to prepare your paperwork, it is usually just a formality.

And, can anyone do that and have the wife do it for you? Or just those that have an Immi connection?
No you can't do that, you have to go in person.

Obviously, in Thailand, anything can be bought.

A paraplegic friend has to make an annual visit to Khon Karen immigration - despite his wife being a 4 striper director of teaching.

He was fined 20,000 Baht overstay while in a coma in hospital.

And, can anyone do that and have the wife do it for you? Or just those that have an Immi connection?
I drag myself up the elevator to the Immigration Office and sit down. I hand my documents to my wife and she does the rest. Usually very easy and completed within the hour. I am usually handed a couple of new forms to sign but that is my sole involvement.

A paraplegic friend has to make an annual visit to Khon Karen immigration - despite his wife being a 4 striper director of teaching.
As I suspected.

Exactly. What if your wife had no Immi connections?

I've found that it is fairly easy to make a connection. Basically exchanging a phone number with a wai.

Then again it's just as easy to be antagonistic and argumentive so one will be well remembered...
Whether in a restaurant, a police station, a bank or other public place or office...official or not.

He was fined 20,000 Baht overstay while in a coma in hospital.
The usual fine for missing the 90-day report is only 2,000 baht. A 20,000 baht fine suggests he had not done his 90-day report for quite some time. Besides, bad planning by his wife, she could have completed the 90-day report as it does not have to be done in person.

"I don't know why more of the married-to-Thai retired farangs don't do the same."

I can think of many reasons why not. Firstly, pulling two kids out of school for two or three days every 3 months would disrupt their learning. Secondly, my annual extension in Surin only cost 1,900 baht a year, plus 300 baht with bank fees, and I can do the extension in a couple of hours when my kids are at school. Moreover, the Savannaket option would cost significantly more than 2,200 baht a year, maybe well over 20,000 baht with 4 visits a year, with fuel and hotel costs, food, etc., thrown in. Thirdly, I no longer enjoy being mobile as I have health issues and can no longer walk unassisted. Finally, it's a lot of messing around when the alternative is here in Surin and on our doorstep. Since 2004 I have never had problems with the annual extension. Providing you take the time and trouble to prepare your paperwork, it is usually just a formality.
No need to pull the kids out 4 times a year. Just once a year for the Savanakhet trip. And extended family could surely watch over them for a couple/few days. As said we make a mini holiday out of it, have no kids in school these days, not for the past decade at least. I am healthy enough (knock wood) still to do it this way. And do not mind the 90 day crossings at all. An adventure to get me out of the house every 3 months. :) I did it your way during the Covid border crossing closings. No problem getting the retiree visa each time.

The usual fine for missing the 90-day report is only 2,000 baht. A 20,000 baht fine suggests he had not done his 90-day report for quite some time. Besides, bad planning by his wife, she could have completed the 90-day report as it does not have to be done in person.
Steve - read my post properly.

The clue was 'annual visit', the fine was the maximum overstay.

I've found that it is fairly easy to make a connection. Basically exchanging a phone number with a wai.

Then again it's just as easy to be antagonistic and argumentive so one will be well remembered...
Whether in a restaurant, a police station, a bank or other public place or office...official or not.
True. The grumpy cnuts shoot themselves in the foot a lot of the time.

Back