Thawing UK Frozen Pensions

Not true.

As I have just learned, DWP life certificates are not sent to UK addresses.

(even if they were you would be using the address of a trusted friend/relative).

A pensioner will never lose his pension payment. In the case of non-return of a life certificate the payments are suspended until DWP receive a call that satisfies them that the claimant is still alive.
It seems they are sent to UK addresses, though infrequently. Have recently been asked to help a farang whose pension stopped being paid to his UK bank account last April Seems they sent a Life Certificate to his last known UK address, which he vacated some years ago, and he failed to advise a new address (his son's). I have provided advice, but its his problem to resolve.

As to whether a state pension is a benefit or an entitlement is irrelevant when it comes to making a claim. The payment is subject to conditions including the number of NI contributions made, and the residence of the claimant. The conditions, rightly or wrongly, clearly state that the pension is frozen if one lives in Thailand or a number of other countries! To lie on the claim form that one lives in a country where it is not frozen, is quite simply fraud! Prosecuting someone in an overseas country is unlikely, but since the DWP hold the purse strings, one has to do their utmost to try and ensure they do not become aware of your frozen country residence.

It seems they are sent to UK addresses, though infrequently. Have recently been asked to help a farang whose pension stopped being paid to his UK bank account last April Seems they sent a Life Certificate to his last known UK address, which he vacated some years ago, and he failed to advise a new address (his son's). I have provided advice, but its his problem to resolve.

As to whether a state pension is a benefit or an entitlement is irrelevant when it comes to making a claim. The payment is subject to conditions including the number of NI contributions made, and the residence of the claimant. The conditions, rightly or wrongly, clearly state that the pension is frozen if one lives in Thailand or a number of other countries! To lie on the claim form that one lives in a country where it is not frozen, is quite simply fraud! Prosecuting someone in an overseas country is unlikely, but since the DWP hold the purse strings, one has to do their utmost to try and ensure they do not become aware of your frozen country residence.

I don't believe they are sent to UK addresses.

I would like to hear from a pensioner with a UK address who HAS ever received one.

The only reference to "you MAY receive a life certificate" is on the DWP website regarding moving overseas.

I don't believe they are sent to UK addresses.

I would like to hear from a pensioner with a UK address who HAS ever received one.

The only reference to "you MAY receive a life certificate" is on the DWP website regarding moving overseas.

My take on this is that DWP only appears to send "are you still alive" letters to pensioners who live overseas. The pensioners who I know who live in the UK don't receive them.

My take on this is that DWP only appears to send "are you still alive" letters to pensioners who live overseas. The pensioners who I know who live in the UK don't receive them.
That is correct Yorky.

Saw this elsewhere:-

Benefits that cannot be reduced or stopped​

The following benefits cannot be reduced or stopped if you commit benefit fraud:

• Attendance Allowance
  • Bereavement Support Payment
  • Child Benefit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Christmas Bonus
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Graduated Retirement Benefit
  • Guardian’s Allowance
  • Industrial Injuries Constant Attendance Allowance (where a Disablement Pension is payable)
  • Industrial Injuries Exceptionally Severe Disablement Allowance (where a Disablement Pension is payable)
  • Personal Independence Payment
  • State Pension
  • Social Fund Payments
  • War Pension Constant Attendance Allowance
  • War Pension Exceptionally Severe Disablement Allowance
  • War Pension Mobility Supplement

Sanctionable benefits​

The following benefits can be reduced or stopped if you commit benefit fraud:

• Carer’s Allowance
  • Employment and Support Allowance
  • Housing Benefit
  • Incapacity Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Industrial Death Benefit
  • Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
  • Industrial Injuries Reduced Earnings Allowance
  • Industrial Injuries Retirement Allowance
  • Industrial Injuries Unemployability Supplement
  • Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Severe Disablement Allowance
  • Pension Credit
  • Universal Credit
  • War Disablement Pension
  • War Widow’s Pension
  • War Pension Unemployability Supplement
  • War Pension Allowance for Lower Standard of Occupation
  • Widowed Mother’s/Parent’s Allowance
  • Working Tax Credit

A pensioner will never lose his pension payment. In the case of non-return of a life certificate the payments are suspended until DWP receive a call that satisfies them that the claimant is still alive.

Has anyone received their "life certificate" this year from DWP? I haven't. The last one I had from DWP was 2020 (September) although I have had them from PPF for both 2021 and 2022.

A UK friend in Canada didn't received hers this year and her pension was suspended (sorted now). Although she does not receive PPF payments therefore PPF life certificates are not required.

All the illegals arriving daily in the UK get all sorts of handourts -do nothing for it, yet complain about everything. Those of us who worked, paid our National Insurance contributions (I paid 44) still get nothing more from the day we retired here in Thailand and many other countries.

If I had have used a UK address pretending to be in UK and was found out upon my death, what would be the consequences? My wife will be entitled to a portion of my PPF pension upon my death. As PPF is a subsidiary of DWP would DWP have the power to recover over-payments from my wife's subsequent pension payments?

If I had have used a UK address pretending to be in UK and was found out upon my death, what would be the consequences? My wife will be entitled to a portion of my PPF pension upon my death. As PPF is a subsidiary of DWP would DWP have the power to recover over-payments from my wife's subsequent pension payments?
We had a widow whose husband claimed the full pension from the UK. That was some years ago, and she was entitled to bereavement benefits which were paid in full, with no request for repayment. Repayment of overpaid pensions is a debt on the estate. In very many cases, foreigners living here have no estate in the UK, so DWP and other debtors are politely informed of that fact and told not to bother the widow. Works!

Has anyone received their "life certificate" this year from DWP? I haven't. The last one I had from DWP was 2020 (September) although I have had them from PPF for both 2021 and 2022.

A UK friend in Canada didn't received hers this year and her pension was suspended (sorted now). Although she does not receive PPF payments therefore PPF life certificates are not required.
I received a 'Life Certificate' a couple of months ago, but not from DWP.

What would they 'find out'?

DWP do not inspect passports.

Mrs Yorky will be entitled to a Widow's pension under the terms of the pension (nothing 'inherited' from you). Totally unrelated to payments you have received in your name.

Back