The Cost of a Village Funeral

For @Yorky :
(1) If she was a Buddhist then let the family take care of the arrangments.

What is so friggin' difficult to understand ?

(2) When you die Yorky your Mrs will do as she wishes...and you won't be able to make a farkin' difference with her decision.

If there is no money in the bank she will put up the chanote on your home as collateral on a 25% (or more) A.P.R. loan from some arsehole you either never liked ot never met...and again you won't be able to make any difference. Capiche? :innocent:

cc: @Prakhonchai Nick :innocent:

Last edited:
@Yorky ...for the record if she doesn't own land and you have no money in the bank she will take out a usurous loan from a slimeball and never be able to pay it back.

Like many before her she will sell "whatever it takes" every month.
I know you don't believe in reincarnation so you don't have anything to worry about.

By the way have you thought about what happens legally to the THB800,000 you have sitting in your name within a Thai bank once you die ?
The answer might surprise some if you haven't made an enforceable will.

First of all @Yorky there were two separate statements...one about if a wife dies let the family take care of the arrangements.
As a westerner you won't be able to even if you wanted to.
You're only there to support the wishes of her grieving family...and possibly yourself if you care to.

Secondly, if you die which sooner or later you might in Thailand then it is truly up to your wife to come up with the dosh.

Earlier you stated that you paid for the land and for the building of the home.
Are you stating that your wife doesn't hold the title to this land ?

The reason why I do not comprehend what you are saying is that the questions/statements are nothing to do with me personally, nor my wife. You keep referring to my situation (and getting it completely wrong). My question to which you answered was "If the Westerner's wife (NOT MY WIFE) dies first maybe?" by saying that let the family take care of it. Not me and not my wife. Then you go rattling on about the dead wife taking out a loan on the chanote. No wonder I cannot get to grips with what you are trying to say. It would be easier if you explain to which question you are answering or better still use two different posts.

Whether MY wife holds title to the land or has sufficient funds to pay for MY funeral has nothing to do with this thread whatsoever.

Last edited:
By the way have you thought about what happens legally to the THB800,000 you have sitting in your name within a Thai bank once you die ?
The answer might surprise some if you haven't made an enforceable will.

It won't surprise me.

It won't surprise me.
For those that are unaware of the consequences of not making a Thai Will, any money left by someone dying intestate is divided up in accordance with Thai laws re intestacy. That normally would mean the the money is shared between the deceaseds children (wherever they may be) and the spouse. Only a Will will ensure the money goes where you want, (after the lawyer has taken his/her share) !

The reason why I do not comprehend what you are saying is that the questions/statements are nothing to do with me personally, nor my wife. You keep referring to my situation (and getting it completely wrong). My question to which you answered was "If the Westerner's wife (NOT MY WIFE) dies first maybe?" by saying that let the family take care of it. Not me and not my wife. Then you go rattling on about the dead wife taking out a loan on the chanote. No wonder I cannot get to grips with what you are trying to say. It would be easier if you explain to which question you are answering or better still use two different posts.

Whether MY wife holds title to the land or has sufficient funds to pay for MY funeral has nothing to do with this thread whatsoever.

You are cirrect, Yirky.

By page three the thread had evoloved into something else completely...like many threads do. My mistake.
End of story.

You want to go back to page one to the OP - feel free.

In my opinion I do not spend too much money. My pick-up is not bottom of the range but neither is it top. I paid cash for it and it's 10 years old this year. The 1 rai of land upon which my house sits cost ฿700,000.00 and the house building cost me ฿850,000.00. I paid cash for both. I spend a goodly sum on beer but it doesn't amount to ฿8,000.00 per month. I generally have more money left at the end of the month than I did at the end of the previous month. I also have more than ฿800,000.00 in the bank to support my extensions of stay in Thailand. The amount has not varied to below this sum for 20 years.

That's where I made the wrong turn.

£10-15,000..............you paint an even bleaker picture than what has been mentioned previously.
That sort of money is obscene! Think I will invest some in Rent-a-Ghost! Keep all the bastards away!:)
Is that a job offer or a request for us to suggest someone for the post?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For those that are unaware of the consequences of not making a Thai Will, any money left by someone dying intestate is divided up in accordance with Thai laws re intestacy. That normally would mean the the money is shared between the deceaseds children (wherever they may be) and the spouse. Only a Will will ensure the money goes where you want, (after the lawyer has taken his/her share) !

For information @Prakhonchai Nick: who, as in those dividing up the money, are "they"? When I die, who will "police" this process?

I think another thread is in order. Or is there one already?

For information @Prakhonchai Nick: who, as in those dividing up the money, are "they"? When I die, who will "police" this process?

I will check re an existing thread.

However, legal access to a deceased's Thai bank sole name account, can only be done via a lawyer, who in the event of intestacy, would ensure the money went where it was supposed to go. The spouse would of course be required to provide the information - if of course he/she is aware of such information.

Many spouses however access the deceased's bank account by ATM card or online banking, without the bank being aware of the death (Illegal but hey, This is Thailand). Only danger here is the spouse may access and clean out the account before death!!!!!!!!!!

Only danger here is the spouse may access and clean out the account before death!!!!!!!!!!

I believe that I may have recounted this before. Old George asked me if I knew a good lawyer in Surin. I answered that I only knew one lawyer, Chalong. "Oh, I've been to Chalong and he says that there's nothing he can do". I asked what was the problem? "My wife has withdrawn ฿20,000.00 from my bank via ATM". I asked how she got the card and the pin number. "I gave them to her" he said.

"I think Chalong is right" I said.

Intestate Succession in Thailand - the Thai Civil and Commercial Code

In Thailand, there are six classes of statutory heir:-

1. Descendants;

2. Parents;

3. Brothers and sisters of full blood;

4. Brothers and sisters of half blood

5. Grandfathers and Grandmothers;

6. Uncles and Aunts.
The surviving spouse is also considered as a statutory heir.

The statutory heirs of the same class shall be entitled to equal shares under the laws of Thailand. If there is only one heir in that class, he or she gets the whole portion.

The share of the surviving spouse shall be in accordance with the following:

1. If the decedent left a spouse and children, the spouse is entitled to 50% of the estate and the children are entitled for the remaining 50% which shall be equally distributed among them.

2. If the decedent left his spouse and parents, the spouse is entitled to 50% and the parents to the other 50%;

3. If the decedent left his spouse and his brothers and sisters of full blood, the spouse is entitled to 50% and the other 50% goes to his brothers and sisters;

4. If the decedent left his spouse and heirs in classes 4, 5, 6 (brothers and sisters of full blood, grandparents, uncles and aunts, then the spouse will inherit 2/3s of the estate and the remaining heirs will be entitled to the other 1/3 which will be divided in equal shares among them. The surviving spouse takes the whole estate in the absence of any other statutory heir.
Under the Thai laws, when upon the death of a person, he left no statutory heir; the estate of the deceased person shall pass to the State, subject to the rights of the decedent’s creditors.

So if a farang has paid 100% for a marital home, the best he can expect is 50% if you outlive your wife. Is that right?

In plain terms, without a Will, that is broadly correct. That also assumes that the asset can be realised.

Your continued occupancy becomes an area of potential risk as well.

Would that still be the case with a lease? I have a lease with another 12 years to go.

That is OK, the lease (or Usufruct, as I have, continues).

My response to Ivor was based on no other protection being put in place.

A friend is in the process of making a Thai Will. He has made arrangements with The Department of Anatomy , Faculty of Science, Mahidol University.to take his body after death to use for training purposes.

Now that seems to me one way to overcome the chanting monks, the village food freeloaders and all the other accompanying nonsense. :D Will the wife wear it? :rolleyes:

A friend is in the process of making a Thai Will. He has made arrangements with The Department of Anatomy , Faculty of Science, Mahidol University.to take his body after death to use for training purposes.

That is OK if the Uni or medical facility will accept it. If you recall Richard the Baker wanted to that but his offer was 'rejected'.

Now that seems to me one way to overcome the chanting monks, the village food freeloaders and all the other accompanying nonsense. :D Will the wife wear it? :rolleyes:

Back