The Price of Rice

This is the case in the greater amount of farmers Colin. If you cannot store you can get 9 Baht subsidy price. Listening to the big boss on TV last night I suggest he is not paranoid and the millers are in collusion with political entity's to drive the price further down then it is. Strange how all 17 of The Thai rice millers association resigned yesterday after this suggestion. Not that the millers actually like any one political leaning, the greedy bastards saw huge profits in doing so at the expense of the whole nation. Wreaks of being a traitor to the nation and their heads should be placed on pikes, but that is just my opinion.
Does anybody think I am coming over a wee bit too strong? This is what happens when you live in a rice field and know intimately of the farmers plight.

I read a rant from a farmer in the Thai press the other day he said the same thing gave his name and address and said "Come and get me. But please make sure you put me out of misery quick as I can't take the torture any longer".

Oh Dear!

Spot on.

People are getting rich on 6 Baht - and it ain't the farmers.

Don't worry, he's on his way (or I heard a whisper, he's already at the palace)
58fd2ec119cd10a1b670e59499c6b651.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peter of HK Garden has 3 working flat out because most of the other people's are broken down.

Slightly changing the subject. Because of this rice situation, is it time for Isaan Superhero Mister T too 'save the world' ??? 555

Depends on the area. Some areas harvest before others. This early harvesting is what I call green or not yet ripened. In the trip to Korat yesterday must have seen at least 24 rice robbery stations and not one had any customers.

Peter of HK Garden has 3 working flat out because most of the other people's are broken down.

Slightly changing the subject. Because of this rice situation, is it time for Isaan Superhero Mister T too 'save the world' ??? 555

I would question your judgement/description of a superhero.

The felon you speak of does not have the balls to return to Thailand

I wrote last week of a queue of trucks almost 1 km long outside a rice mill in Plapplachai. Those poor buggers, and no doubt many others on surrounding days probably only received
6 baht/kg. Then in stepped our PM with an inclusive offer of arouund 13 baht/kg if they waited and stored their rice.

Not a truck to be seen yesterday when I passed by the rice mill. The early bird doesn't always catch the worm.

Maybe it hasn't reached your village - but I understand that the government has said that those who have sold already will be compensated if the present their receipts........

Could be lao khao talk of course :smiley:

Government now has a plan to subsidise farmers to the tune of 13 Baht for those that will store their grain until April with an added storage fee thrown in.
Those that want to sell will get 9.5 Baht.
Gen Prayut insisted a subsidy programme is not a sustainable solution and stressed that all stake holders in the rice production industry will need to make changes and adhere to the rules to help each other. He insisted that the subsidy measure is not against the law and is different from the rice-pledging scheme implemented by the Yingluck administration. :rolleyes:
http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/politics/1124721/cabinet-boosts-rice-subsidy-to-b13-000.

Reads almost from the same page as Yingluck's "corrupt plan" for unmilled rice, doesn't it ?

Maybe it hasn't reached your village - but I understand that the government has said that those who have sold already will be compensated if the present their receipts........

Could be lao khao talk of course :smiley:

Dont think it is my village that have sold yet -at least it looks that way as I have to negotiate all the bloody rice drying on both sides of the road, and even on sharp bends. Even the main road between Buriram and Surin had rice drying on the inner carriageway.

Good that the early birds will be compensated.

THE Machines were out harvesting on the backside of our farm this afternoon. Did I say backside.;):rolleyes::D:D:D

In today's Bangkok Post the Spectrum insert has a sizeable article about how some Surin rice farmers respond to the low prices.
Worth reading, me thinks.

In today's Bangkok Post the Spectrum insert has a sizeable article about how some Surin rice farmers respond to the low prices.
Worth reading, me thinks.

A good read.

Breaking the rice cartel could easily put someone at risk from reprisals.

I think this can only work on a small scale in view of finding the market to sell to.

Back