UK Pension Service - Life Certificate

My former employer allows email return of the life certificate but UK pension Service usually require hard copies. However in these Covid times, many organisations are accepting scanned copies of important documents

My former employer allows email return of the life certificate but UK pension Service usually require hard copies. However in these Covid times, many organisations are accepting scanned copies of important documents

One has to wonder how naive these folks are. A faxed copy is the same as an emailed copy and if someone has the technical/artistic ability, either could be easily mistaken for an original. Or the other way around.

UKPS will also reinstate the pension on the strength of a phone call, with the life certificate to follow.

What is the current Bereavement benefit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no longer a bereavement benefit if non-resident in the UK.

Bereavement Support Payment
Contents
  1. Eligibility
  2. What you'll get
  3. How to claim
Eligibility

You may be able to get Bereavement Support Payment (BSP) if your husband, wife or civil partner died in the last 21 months.

You must claim within 3 months of your partner’s death to get the full amount. You can claim up to 21 months after their death but you’ll get fewer monthly payments.

Bereavement Support Payment has replaced Bereavement Allowance (previously Widow’s Pension), Bereavement Payment, and Widowed Parent’s Allowance.

You could be eligible if your partner either:

When they died you must have been:

You cannot claim BSP if you’re in prison.

If your partner died more than 21 months ago

You may still be able to claim BSP if your husband, wife or civil partner’s cause of death was confirmed more than 21 months after the death. Call the Bereavement Service helpline.

If your husband, wife or civil partner died before 6 April 2017, you may be able to get Widowed Parent’s Allowance instead.

https://www.gov.uk/bereavement-support-payment

There is no longer a bereavement benefit if non-resident in the UK.

Bereavement Support Payment
Contents
  1. Eligibility
  2. What you'll get
  3. How to claim
Eligibility

You may be able to get Bereavement Support Payment (BSP) if your husband, wife or civil partner died in the last 21 months.

You must claim within 3 months of your partner’s death to get the full amount. You can claim up to 21 months after their death but you’ll get fewer monthly payments.

Bereavement Support Payment has replaced Bereavement Allowance (previously Widow’s Pension), Bereavement Payment, and Widowed Parent’s Allowance.

You could be eligible if your partner either:

When they died you must have been:

You cannot claim BSP if you’re in prison.

If your partner died more than 21 months ago

You may still be able to claim BSP if your husband, wife or civil partner’s cause of death was confirmed more than 21 months after the death. Call the Bereavement Service helpline.

If your husband, wife or civil partner died before 6 April 2017, you may be able to get Widowed Parent’s Allowance instead.

https://www.gov.uk/bereavement-support-payment
Those widows here in Thailand, that were receiving bereavement benefits, before the rule change, will continue to receive them in accordance with details provided to them. In essence that is only "widowed parents allowance" that is payable where there is a child (regardless of whether the British husband was the father), and is payable whilst the child remains at school . Allowance stops when secondary school finishes, It is not paid when the child goes to college or university.

Life Certificates are once again being sent out by the DWP. You have 16 weeks from the date of despatch from the UK to have the signed form back in the UK, Scanning not allowed. Must be returned by post

Nearly anyone can sign.

Who can sign your Life Certificate
Your countersignatory must:

have known you for at least 2 years
for example they’re a friend, neighbour or colleague (not just someone who knows you professionally)
be ‘a person of good standing in their community’ or work in (or be retired from) a recognised profession

No need to have a stamp.

Life Certificates are once again being sent out by the DWP. You have 16 weeks from the date of despatch from the UK to have the signed form back in the UK, Scanning not allowed. Must be returned by post

Nearly anyone can sign.

Who can sign your Life Certificate
Your countersignatory must:

have known you for at least 2 years
for example they’re a friend, neighbour or colleague (not just someone who knows you professionally)
be ‘a person of good standing in their community’ or work in (or be retired from) a recognised profession

No need to have a stamp.

I passed the "are you still alive test" mid 2022 for the "Pension Protection Fund" which is a subsidiary of DWP. That was accomplished over the internet and was acknowledged by one of their officers.

Why DWP can't accept that and have to resort to "snail mail" I haven't a clue. Up to now, I haven't received the DWP form but if and when I do, I shall have it signed and return it by post plus attach a copy to email (as I have done previously).

My letter from DWP was dated the 8th of January 2023. It arrived in my letter box a couple of days ago, on the 3rd of February 2023. It says in bold print, It is important that we receive your reply within 16 weeks from the date of this form." By my calculation, I have to return the form to them by the 30th of April 2023. The person who signs the Life Certificate should be a professional person or a person of good standing in the community. The examples they provide of who may be a suitable person are virtually unavailable to us ex-pats as the professionals they list would all be Thai. In the past, I have found it easier to get blood out of a stone than to get a signature out of a Thai professional. The last two words of the last sentence may be an oxymoron.

I know @Prakhonchai Nick has helped with a signature in the past, and I have also offered my services to sign these letters as a Squadron Leader RAF, Retired, and a professional man of standing. I will happily sign again should anyone need a signature.

See my post of earlier today above. Virtually anyone can sign a Life Certificate. They don't have to be British, just someone you consider of good standing who has known you for 2 years or more.

My letter from DWP was dated the 8th of January 2023. It arrived in my letter box a couple of days ago, on the 3rd of February 2023. It says in bold print, It is important that we receive your reply within 16 weeks from the date of this form." By my calculation, I have to return the form to them by the 30th of April 2023. The person who signs the Life Certificate should be a professional person or a person of good standing in the community. The examples they provide of who may be a suitable person are virtually unavailable to us ex-pats as the professionals they list would all be Thai. In the past, I have found it easier to get blood out of a stone than to get a signature out of a Thai professional. The last two words of the last sentence may be an oxymoron.

I know @Prakhonchai Nick has helped with a signature in the past, and I have also offered my services to sign these letters as a Squadron Leader RAF, Retired, and a professional man of standing. I will happily sign again should anyone need a signature.

I have received a similar letter today dated 8th January 2023. The envelope indicated that it was sent via "SCHIEDAM" Prioritaire (which I'm guessing is "Priority"). I wonder how long it would have taken to reach Surin if it wasn't posted "Prioritaire"?

I have received a similar letter today dated 8th January 2023. The envelope indicated that it was sent via "SCHIEDAM" Prioritaire (which I'm guessing is "Priority"). I wonder how long it would have taken to reach Surin if it wasn't posted "Prioritaire"?
Likewise me yesterday

I shall complete and ask Nookie to do the honours tomorrow morning

Back