Visa extension based upon retirement

So when you go with the income verification you need to dress sharp, wear your best expensive watch, and make sure if your wife is along she wears all her gold and is dressed to the nines. :)

Mike

Quite the reverse, Mike. Look ordinary! If they think you're rich, they might scheme to get some of it.

I've often taken my partner along, and it makes no difference one way or the other. Many farangs take their wives.

can gays receive an extension based on marriage

Quite the reverse, Mike. Look ordinary! If they think you're rich, they might scheme to get some of it.

I've often taken my partner along, and it makes no difference one way or the other. Many farangs take their wives.

Curious IB.
1) Can gay people marry legally in Thai ?
If affirmative - Can a gay expat get an extension based on marriage in Thai ?

2) If a gay expat marries his Thai partner legally in a country that acknowledges such unions, may that expat receive an extension based on marriage in Thai ?

As I believe you may be closer to that situation than many on this Forum I was wondering about such from a reliable source , which would be you.
Thanks3

Curious IB.
1) Can gay people marry legally in Thai ?
If affirmative - Can a gay expat get an extension based on marriage in Thai ?

2) If a gay expat marries his Thai partner legally in a country that acknowledges such unions, may that expat receive an extension based on marriage in Thai ?

As I believe you may be closer to that situation than many on this Forum I was wondering about such from a reliable source , which would be you.
Thanks3

Coffee, no, no, no, and we're not.

He is of course also my landlord, and I have to submit a copy of his tabian baan with my papers.

I suppose the potential problem with wives going to immigration with their husbands is that some wives cannot keep their mouths shut.... and that would not be appreciated.

Only THB 400,000 required for an extension based on marriage...easy peasy as the Brits like to say.

My good friend I do not agree completely with the above. Yes, only 400,000 for an extension based on marriage is correct. However, from what I have heard and what I have seen its the 'easy peasy' bit that is not so simple.

I have seen guys trying to get an extension based on marriage go armed with their whole life story bound in a fat book 2 inches thick. The Immigration Officials seem to need everything but the kitchen sink to confirm that you are married, where you live, how long you have lived there, how much money you have, etc, etc. I have also seen many turned away and told to come back later when they have collected some more pieces of paper and photographs to confirm they are who they say they are. Even then, assuming that the package meets their needs, they are unable to issue an extension to the visa because it all has to be forwarded to Bangkok for approval. I understand they give a temporary extension of stay (30 days) and one has to return to Immigration for the visa. It is also known that sometimes one can return several times, 30 day extension each time, until the approval comes through from Bangkok.

In contrast, the visa extension based on retirement is very straight forward. Complete the correct forms, original letter from Bank manager or Embassy to confirm monies in the bank (800k) or income (65k per month), one recent passport photo of yourself, hand over 1,900 Baht to the official processing your application and you can be on your way within 20 minutes with a new 12-month extension in your passport. I find it is useful to take my wife along because sometimes they have asked for verification of where I live. She can produce the blue house book (tabian baan), sign an appropriate form to confirm my residence and everyone is happy.

Complete the correct forms, original letter from Bank manager to confirm monies in the bank (800k) or Embassy letter to confirm income (65k per month.

Slight re-wording of the above sentence for further clarification.

PLUS

Or a combination of both, which is NOT available to those applying for a extension based on marriage

My good friend I do not agree completely with the above. Yes, only 400,000 for an extension based on marriage is correct. However, from what I have heard and what I have seen its the 'easy peasy' bit that is not so simple.

I have seen guys trying to get an extension based on marriage go armed with their whole life story bound in a fat book 2 inches thick. The Immigration Officials seem to need everything but the kitchen sink to confirm that you are married, where you live, how long you have lived there, how much money you have, etc, etc. I have also seen many turned away and told to come back later when they have collected some more pieces of paper and photographs to confirm they are who they say they are. Even then, assuming that the package meets their needs, they are unable to issue an extension to the visa because it all has to be forwarded to Bangkok for approval. I understand they give a temporary extension of stay (30 days) and one has to return to Immigration for the visa. It is also known that sometimes one can return several times, 30 day extension each time, until the approval comes through from Bangkok.

In contrast, the visa extension based on retirement is very straight forward. Complete the correct forms, original letter from Bank manager or Embassy to confirm monies in the bank (800k) or income (65k per month), one recent passport photo of yourself, hand over 1,900 Baht to the official processing your application and you can be on your way within 20 minutes with a new 12-month extension in your passport. I find it is useful to take my wife along because sometimes they have asked for verification of where I live. She can produce the blue house book (tabian baan), sign an appropriate form to confirm my residence and everyone is happy.

No argument that a retard extension is the easier of the two. The only trouble I have seen on an extension for marriage at KCI is an individuals lack of understanding and attitude. This is my 3rd extension for marriage, why be cause I can. BTW You DO NOT get a 30 day extension you get a 30 day under review which becomes part of your 12 months extension when granted.

No argument that a retard extension is the easier of the two. The only trouble I have seen on an extension for marriage at KCI is an individuals lack of understanding and attitude. This is my 3rd extension for marriage, why be cause I can. BTW You DO NOT get a 30 day extension you get a 30 day under review which becomes part of your 12 months extension when granted.

Easy for you Gotlost, you live just around the corner! No trouble to go backwards and forwards to Immigration. Not so easy for those living further away, like somewhere in the north of Surin or Buriram Province. What is a 5 minute trip for you becomes a days trip for others.

Easy for you Gotlost, you live just around the corner! No trouble to go backwards and forwards to Immigration. Not so easy for those living further away, like somewhere in the north of Surin or Buriram Province. What is a 5 minute trip for you becomes a days trip for others.

I don't go backwards and forwards. I listen and do it what they requested. May 2 we spent 2 hours in the KCI office, 40 minutes to convert my new pp and 1hr 20 min. for marriage extension at NO time did we have to leave. Why? Because we had the required documents. This is my 3rd go and not once have we had to leave to get something. A marriage extension does take more time as they are very meticulous. This is not rocket science. If you listen to those that know and not to the bar room jokey life would and will be easier. BTW KCI and other IO's in Thailand have been requireing a retard extension to show their address this is normal. If your wife is with you her blue book and id will do. I thank the forum your referring to is the T-30 forum. If no wife then rental agreement or a yellow house book. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic...ation-warns-of-drive-on-foreign-stay-reports/

Last edited:

They are also probably fed up of seeing his ugly face in their offices so often that they just stamp him in and out as quickly as possible! :smile:

You'd be on a retard's extension, GL?

GL, I think you misunderstood the meaning of "backwards and forward". I was referring to going to Immigration for the first visit to to lodge one's application and receive a 30-day under review stamp. Then one has to return 30 days later to pick up the extension. As I understand, if no reply has been received from Bangkok you will receive another 30-day under review stamp. Therefore, you could be going backwards and forwards to Immigration over a three month period before you get the official 12 month extension in your passport. Of course, if you are one of those foreigners with little or no English, and a Thai wife who knows nothing of the visa extension paperwork required, you could be going backwards and forwards many times more!

P.S. My wife and I have tried to help some of these couples when we have been there before - it is not easy. I am sure that Thai Immigration understand them even less. In fact, the Immigration Officials have shown surprising patience. I am not surprised that they get turned away because they have not done their homework.

GL, I think you misunderstood the meaning of "backwards and forward". I was referring to going to Immigration for the first visit to to lodge one's application and receive a 30-day under review stamp. Then one has to return 30 days later to pick up the extension. As I understand, if no reply has been received from Bangkok you will receive another 30-day under review stamp. Therefore, you could be going backwards and forwards to Immigration over a three month period before you get the official 12 month extension in your passport. Of course, if you are one of those foreigners with little or no English, and a Thai wife who knows nothing of the visa extension paperwork required, you could be going backwards and forwards many times more!

P.S. My wife and I have tried to help some of these couples when we have been there before - it is not easy. I am sure that Thai Immigration understand them even less. In fact, the Immigration Officials have shown surprising patience. I am not surprised that they get turned away because they have not done their homework.

I totally agree with your comments. BTW the application go to korat not Bangkok and I have that confirmed. Most only 2 weeks for a turn around.

back to the 'legally married gay' inquiry

Coffee, no, no, no, and we're not.

He is of course also my landlord, and I have to submit a copy of his tabian baan with my papers.

I suppose the potential problem with wives going to immigration with their husbands is that some wives cannot keep their mouths shut.... and that would not be appreciated.

IB, my inquiry was not addressed to your specific situation...though I figured that you might be in the 'know'.

My inquiry specifically is to understand how Thai Immigration would handle 'legally married' gay couples regarding a visa extension based on marriage.

Any clues on behalf of married gay couples ?

There is always the back-up to circumvent all the formalities by just paying the lump sum one off payment.

IB, my inquiry was not addressed to your specific situation...though I figured that you might be in the 'know'.

My inquiry specifically is to understand how Thai Immigration would handle 'legally married' gay couples regarding a visa extension based on marriage.

Any clues on behalf of married gay couples ?

I thought I answered you, Coffee.... it was one of those Noes!

There is always the back-up to circumvent all the formalities by just paying the lump sum one off payment.

If you're talking about going through an 'agent', who provides your bank deposit etc, I think this is technically illegal. Since they've started cracking down on visa runs, they could also start cracking down on that (though there'd be a lot of unhappy Immigration officials!).

If you're talking about going through an 'agent', who provides your bank deposit etc, I think this is technically illegal. Since they've started cracking down on visa runs, they could also start cracking down on that (though there'd be a lot of unhappy Immigration officials!).

...... ergo, it will never happen.

Back