Water Shortages In Surin - July 2019

Need to cut back on showers. You have gone through way too much rain water.

20190717_022529729_ios-e1563356603271.jpg

Treated Black Water having passed through the Aerobic Wastewater treatment tank, complete with imported American Bacteria, a plastic septic tank, it has two sections with an overflow. In the first section sewage is deposited, solids sink to the bottom and are consumed by bacteria and are then liquefied. Liquid flows to the top and is removed by the overflow which then passes into the leach field gravel filled tank.

Grey water from showers etc. in the pipe behind, goes further up the garden to water the Teak Trees. Any water from the kitchen passes through a grease trap first.

20190801_050601881_ios.jpg

Maybe of interest.

New Bore Development Scheme

By IsaanAussie, 33 minutes ago in Farming in Thailand Forum

Rate this topic

IsaanAussie
  • Aussie Battler
  • Advanced Members
  • 3,233 posts
[/paste:font]
Posted 33 minutes ago (edited)
Just been to a meeting where an army assistance program was explained, unfortunately in Thai. If anyone can supply more information or clarification I would be grateful.

This is what I understand the scheme to be about. Groups of seven (or more) farmers form a co-op (totaling over 15 rai of land) to develop a 6" bore. Solar panels, pump and 20,000 litre water tower are supplied with piping to allow all seven to use the water (must be close together meaning limited piping?). If you pay 30K baht/per group you get on the short list. Others will be in a "sometime" queue.

Anybody else looked into this?

Edited 31 minutes ago by IsaanAussie
Added area total
https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1142431-new-bore-development-scheme/

20190717_022529729_ios-e1563356603271.jpg

Treated Black Water having passed through the Aerobic Wastewater treatment tank, complete with imported American Bacteria, a plastic septic tank, it has two sections with an overflow. In the first section sewage is deposited, solids sink to the bottom and are consumed by bacteria and are then liquefied. Liquid flows to the top and is removed by the overflow which then passes into the leach field gravel filled tank.

Grey water from showers etc. in the pipe behind, goes further up the garden to water the Teak Trees. Any water from the kitchen passes through a grease trap first.

20190801_050601881_ios.jpg

Living on the outskirts to town, all the houses on our development have septic tanks for black water. The greywater passes through the tank and disperses into a drain. Most 0f our neighbours call up the 'honey bucket' wagon once every month or so to empty their septic tanks. At 500 baht per visit, the cost to empty a septic tank runs around 6,000 baht per year. With judicious management by myself and a dead cat, our septic tank went nearly 5 years without emptying. Unfortunately, a couple of months ago I started hearing the telltale sounds that the tank was full and needed servicing by the 'honey bucket' wagon. I called a passing truck to empty the tank. However, in emptying the tank, all the good bacteria that disposed of and ate the solid matter went too. Fortunately, I remembered the dead cat treatment recommended by a good Aussie friend of mine (@Rice) and went to HomePro in search of a 'dead cat'. I found this product for less than 300 baht:

20200109_131053.jpg

I emptied about a third of the tin, about 400 grams, into the WC, flushed the system and watched as it gurgled away and into the septic tank. One week later, I am reasonably confident that the 'dead cat' treatment is working again. The gurgling sounds that indicated the septic tank was full have stopped and the water from the WC flushes away smoothly again. Hopefully, I will not need the 'honey bucket' service for another 5 years of or so. That will be 30,000 baht in my pockets and not theirs. :D:D:D

P.S. Call me a 'cheapie charlie' if you like but why throw away 500 baht a month when you do not need to. :cool::cool::cool:

It's true..I am forced to pay every 2 years for registration of my 6" bore. They come and inspect it at that time as well.
All documented.
Some districts do and you're in one. My district does not.:rolleyes: BTW what is the depth of you're bore?

Living on the outskirts to town, all the houses on our development have septic tanks for black water. The greywater passes through the tank and disperses into a drain. Most 0f our neighbours call up the 'honey bucket' wagon once every month or so to empty their septic tanks. At 500 baht per visit, the cost to empty a septic tank runs around 6,000 baht per year. With judicious management by myself and a dead cat, our septic tank went nearly 5 years without emptying. Unfortunately, a couple of months ago I started hearing the telltale sounds that the tank was full and needed servicing by the 'honey bucket' wagon. I called a passing truck to empty the tank. However, in emptying the tank, all the good bacteria that disposed of and ate the solid matter went too. Fortunately, I remembered the dead cat treatment recommended by a good Aussie friend of mine (@Rice) and went to HomePro in search of a 'dead cat'. I found this product for less than 300 baht:

View attachment 31884

I emptied about a third of the tin, about 400 grams, into the WC, flushed the system and watched as it gurgled away and into the septic tank. One week later, I am reasonably confident that the 'dead cat' treatment is working again. The gurgling sounds that indicated the septic tank was full have stopped and the water from the WC flushes away smoothly again. Hopefully, I will not need the 'honey bucket' service for another 5 years of or so. That will be 30,000 baht in my pockets and not theirs. :D:D:D

P.S. Call me a 'cheapie charlie' if you like but why throw away 500 baht a month when you do not need to. :cool::cool::cool:

I love your "dead cat" analogy Nomad! ( At least I hope it's an analogy!)
The story reminds me of one told by the infamous "Blaster" Bates, a demolitions expert and after-dinner speaker from the 1960s and later, who was also a dab-hand with explosives - sometimes used by him to remove blockages in septic tanks and cesspits. Listen to this: You'll tune in to the Congleton accent after a few minutes - maybe...

Lucky for your neighbours, Nomad, that explosives weren't required to resolve your own issue!
:D

Last edited:
Thank you
I love your "dead cat" analogy Nomad! ( At least I hope it's an analogy!)
The story reminds me of one told by the infamous "Blaster" Bates, a demolitions expert and after-dinner speaker from the 1960s and later, who was also a dab-hand with explosives - sometimes used by him to remove blockages in septic tanks and cesspits. Listen to this, from around 1'15" onwards. You'll tune in to the Congleton accent after a few minutes - maybe...

Lucky for your neighbours, Nomad, that explosives weren't required to resolve your own issue!
:D

LMFAO! Thank you.

Living on the outskirts to town, all the houses on our development have septic tanks for black water.

I think that you may have a cess pit.

For a reason that I cannot remember, I have one toilet emptying into a (two chamber) cess pit and the other into a septic tank (two chambers plus a soakwaway).

38 metres.
Shit load of paperwork but only 500 baht.
All districts within Surin Province must register any bore 5" or more.
They just don't know you have a big one (bore that is)

They probably do now!

I think that you may have a cess pit.

For a reason that I cannot remember, I have one toilet emptying into a (two chamber) cess pit and the other into a septic tank (two chambers plus a soakwaway).
We have one of these ............................a 1,000-litre septic tank.

z225pmn1000e119000_pd448399_icon.jpg

See: https://www.cotto.com/en/product/septic-tanks

Blackwater from the WC's flows in from one side, the solids are collected beneath a screen, the greywater is then allowed to flow out the other side and into a drain.

septik.jpg

I do not know what we have inside our septic tank to filter the solids if anything. However, I can confirm that the greywater flows from the septic tank into a drain and that, in turn, flows into the main drain outside the front gate. Further, the main drain flows down the soi and into a small stream that runs alongside the dirt road connecting the two halves of Kokpalat village. Natural evaporation and seepage disposes of the greywater thereafter. I am always surprised that several of the locals go fishing in this stagnant water and, presumably, eat what they catch. Not for me!

We have one of these ............................a 1,000-litre septic tank.

You obviously have a septic tank because it has a discharge. A cess pit does not and needs emptying regularly. A septic tank needs emptying far more infrequently. If your neighbours are calling for the SST every month it sounds like they have cess pits (or they shit out of all proportion to normal folks).

This is my septic tank design:

045.jpg

Whereas the cess pit has only the two sealed tanks and no discharge to soakaway.

Last edited:
I have the black tank in one of the houses and 5 concrete septic tanks for the other house.
The black tank has an overflow if required and in 20 years has never been pumped.
On the other hand the concrete system is pumped and trucked away about every 3 months for 100 baht a tank..when we live in it. (The house, GL)

Yorky said, "If your neighbours are calling for the SST every month it sounds like they have cesspits (or they shit out of all proportion to normal folks)."

Given that the houses in the soi were all built by the same developer, I am as good as 100% certain they all have the same system as ourselves. The only difference between their systems and the one installed for our house I would suggest is the lack of a suitable biological 'waste digester' additive. Once emptied, the waste disposal man washes the tank with clean water, either from a bucket or a hosepipe, and then sucks the tank dry. Initially, I thought the man was doing a good and thorough job. On reflection, and with hindsight, I now think the man is taking this extra step to ensure he gets more repeat business. By washing the tank he is effectively destroying the biological 'waste digester'. Without this biological action, the solids accumulate in the tank at a very rapid rate that necessitates very frequent emptying of the tank. I made reference earlier to the 'dead cat' which, I was very reliably informed, makes a very effective biological waste digester additive. The third paragraph of the following article makes reference to the 'dead cat' method of seeding your septic tank. See: http://www.discountportablerestrooms.com/SEPTIC TANK.pdf . Contrary to the article, I have found that 'seeding' the tank actually promotes better digestion of the solids. The product I mentioned earlier, 'Bionic Waste Digester' has certainly made a difference to our system. Unlike our neighbours, I very much doubt that our tank will need emptying again before 2025!

My house in Wales had a septic tank constructed in 1902 from slabs of slate forming a hollow cube. It discharged into the nearby river, and there was a permit to do this. It was in use until 2005 when the road outside the property was widened, during which process the contractors smashed it into pieces with a JCB (backhoe.) At first, the contractors refused liability claiming that the slate remnants were merely stone waste from the past, but the permit to discharge and accompanying drawings won the day. It was just as well, as the tank was on the river side of the road, with the waste piped into it under that road. Newer sewage disposal regulations insisted that a new plant be positioned under the driveway to the house, on a 1:5 slope under which lay a very large granite outcrop. The Halcrow group then had to excavate into the rock on Welsh Government orders and install a huge, yellow, German, sealed package sewage treatment plant that looked for all the world like the Beatles' "Yellow Submarine." It cost them close to £20,000 for the product and complete installation.

Back