Well They Are At it Again-KC immigration office

mango 2 you 2

Surin Legend
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/604602-tea-money-taken-at-kap-choeng-immigration-office/

For the NON believers and heads in the sand men (you know who you are)..

Confirms what i said before exactly...

" Just arrived back from Kap Choeng immigration doing my renewal of one year retirement visa.

Did the combined pensions and money in bank for the required 800,000. Had all the paperwork in order.Letter from Embassy confirming pension and letter in bank confirming the amount in my account held for 3 months (which they insist on even though It only has to be in the account on the day of application)Letters from pension providers. copy of all requirements in passport etc.

When it came for time to pay, the officer said 2,000B. I said nothing at first wondering if it had gone up from the 1,900 but thinking to myself I just watched someone else do their visa and handed over 1,900B to another officer. When he gave me a receipt for 1,900B, much to my wife's disaproval I might add, I asked why 2,000B and receipt only 1,900B. The reply was it was for service for the 90 day paper. I replied I had never before paid for 90 day report and there is nothing on immigration website about a service charge for this. Ok he said if you want I give you back 100B. I told him to keep it, as normally I would, if the service is good and the official friendly, put the 100B in the plastic box they have which if you require photocopying you are expected to make a donation for, the money I doubt goes to pay for paper or electric or service of the machine but to buy food and drink. My reason for complaining was not a measly 100B but to let him know that I knew he was taking money for himself.

Maybe others have encountered this if not you know what you could expect.

My wife angry with me because she said it only 100B and man might not give you visa or tell you come back tomorrow. Why complain. "
DeadHorse2

If they do this 10 times a week, that`s 4000 bhat/month.....most peeps in issarn don`t get that in wages...

Last edited:
I quite liked the response from NanLaew:-

One of the more efficient and friendly ladies working the desks at Udon Immigration habitually asks people handing over 2000 baht for the 1900 baht service if they want the change. Some of the punters (on another forum) call it a rip-off, others, like myself, consider it small change for good service (and good repeat service). I haven't been here too long and wear rose-coloured glasses, neither am I a Thai apologist. I would suggest that if one already knows that the cost is 1900 baht and doesn't want to appear to condone minor graft, then make the effort and bring the exact change. Those that come on a horse, want to change the way things are done here, don't mind making a noise and embarrassing their partners, please carry on.

I quite liked the response from NanLaew:-

One of the more efficient and friendly ladies working the desks at Udon Immigration habitually asks people handing over 2000 baht for the 1900 baht service if they want the change. Some of the punters (on another forum) call it a rip-off, others, like myself, consider it small change for good service (and good repeat service). I haven't been here too long and wear rose-coloured glasses, neither am I a Thai apologist. I would suggest that if one already knows that the cost is 1900 baht and doesn't want to appear to condone minor graft, then make the effort and bring the exact change. Those that come on a horse, want to change the way things are done here, don't mind making a noise and embarrassing their partners, please carry on.

As i posted on here previously, they do exactly the same at KC (had it done to me too).. "would you like any change sir ?"

As i posted on here previously, they do exactly the same at KC (had it done to me too).. "would you like any change sir ?"

mango - my point is that I would also try to take exactly 1,900 Baht to avoid the stress of them taking the 100 Baht (I know it would also wing me up!). It is not the amount, it is the principle and that is worth the effort of taking the exact money.

Same same but different at Cambodia immigration with the $20 visa fee. Hand over a $20 note, and smile resolutely, and you will be OK. Others can pay 1,100 Baht.

Maybe puerile but it is about beating the system - or their twisted version of it.

mango - my point is that I would also try to take exactly 1,900 Baht to avoid the stress of them taking the 100 Baht (I know it would also wing me up!). It is not the amount, it is the principle and that is worth the effort of taking the exact money.

Same same but different at Cambodia immigration with the $20 visa fee. Hand over a $20 note, and smile resolutely, and you will be OK. Others can pay 1,100 Baht.

Maybe puerile but it is about beating the system - or their twisted version of it.

I understand what you are saying CO CO , it`s not a big issue BUT just the sly way the think they are doing it LOL

But more to the point, certain peeps on here keep saying NO NO they don`t do that..namely KC consular services..lol

Anyway, hope your are well Sir...ThumbUp6

I understand what you are saying CO CO , it`s not a big issue BUT just the sly way the think they are doing it LOL

But more to the point, certain peeps on here keep saying NO NO they don`t do that..namely KC consular services..lol

I am well indeed, Sir - a tad chilly as temperatures in Felixstowe are more akin to those seen over the border. Looking forward to coming home in about a week.

You pay for what you get....

Lost in this is the fact that the wife/Gf felt you made her loose face over a measly 100 baht and in public to boot. Not a good idea no matter how righteous you are. Never, ever be the cause of your wife/Gf having a loss of face. Perhaps next time you just go to KC alone and take care of your business. Since I don't speak Thai I need my wife's assistance for many situations and I learned the hard way to put up with the way Thai's do things and to follow her lead.

Lost in this is the fact that the wife/Gf felt you made her loose face over a measly 100 baht and in public to boot. Not a good idea no matter how righteous you are. Never, ever be the cause of your wife/Gf having a loss of face. Perhaps next time you just go to KC alone and take care of your business. Since I don't speak Thai I need my wife's assistance for many situations and I learned the hard way to put up with the way Thai's do things and to follow her lead.

Just take 1,900 Baht - it's not difficult !

Just take 1,900 Baht - it's not difficult !

I was there this morning for my 90-day report and annual extension of my visa. They were busy and I sat and waited 30 minutes before being called to the desk. The 'big boss' was going to handle my application. She handled the paperwork quickly and efficiently, issued the 90-day report and placed the 12-month visa extension in the passport in under 15 minutes. She asked for 1,900 baht and I handed over 2,000 baht. She reached into her box and was about to give me 100 baht change when my wife, on my direction, told her to have some tea. Not 'tea money' - just a contribution for some tea.

I was very pleased with the service which was polite, courteous, quick and efficient. Say what you like but that is the way I am treated every time I go there. You do it your way - I'll do it mine.

I am well indeed, Sir - a tad chilly as temperatures in Felixstowe are more akin to those seen over the border. Looking forward to coming home in about a week.

you and me the same ive got to wait til 5 january before i can go back to thailand

I was there this morning for my 90-day report and annual extension of my visa. They were busy and I sat and waited 30 minutes before being called to the desk. The 'big boss' was going to handle my application. She handled the paperwork quickly and efficiently, issued the 90-day report and placed the 12-month visa extension in the passport in under 15 minutes. She asked for 1,900 baht and I handed over 2,000 baht. She reached into her box and was about to give me 100 baht change when my wife, on my direction, told her to have some tea. Not 'tea money' - just a contribution for some tea.

I was very pleased with the service which was polite, courteous, quick and efficient. Say what you like but that is the way I am treated every time I go there. You do it your way - I'll do it mine.

I agree wholeheartedly with Nomad. In fact I was also in the KC Immigration Office this very morning. My wife and I were probably the principal reason for the long queue as we were being dealt with by one of the officers for around an hour and a half. I was doing my first annual extension and at the same time a multi-entry permit and a certificate of residence for driving license application.

All three were dealt with efficiently and courteously. I paid for the extension with two 1000 notes and the multi-entry with 4 of the same. On both occasions the officer handed me the correct change without comment. I declined to accept it and asked him to put the change in the plastic box on the desk.

All in all a good experience. We had a coffee and iced strawberry drink in GLs M+D to celebrate.

Nothing wrong with leaving tips for 'good service'.

My comment about taking the exact money is (a) If you don't want to leave a 'tip' or (b) Feel that immigration are mugging/pressurising you into leaving the balance.

I wonder just how many 'tips' were left, for civil servants, by our members when they were in their home countries ?

Last edited:

That would be sufficient incentive for me to learn enough Thai to go and do it alone, as in fact I do. Bugger me - this is immigration, and the staff HAVE to be able to communicate in English to get the job!

Where there's a will there's a way!

I would also try to take exactly 1,900 Baht to avoid the stress of them taking the 100 Baht

That level of stress could cause a serious health hazard!

Perhaps next time you just go to KC alone and take care of your business.

That is not always as easy as it sounds. In my experience they require to see your wife (for married extensions) or your wife/partner/house owner (for retirement extensions).

Lets compare it with a UK post office .
They would not copy all your paper work for you or even attach the photo ,they would send you off to do your own .
If you forgot something it would be -fill out the paper work and detail in full then join the back of the cue please !

So in my humble opinion 100 baht is not so bad for a small service charge as they call it .:smile:

That level of stress could cause a serious health hazard!

That is not always as easy as it sounds. In my experience they require to see your wife (for married extensions) or your wife/partner/house owner (for retirement extensions).

A very good, and apt, analogy Alan.

I still think they should advertise a nominal 'service' fee.

I think we are all so suspicious of anything in Thailand being corrupt that we will take up 2 pages on an internet forum debating 100 Baht :biggrin:

Back