Well They Are At it Again-KC immigration office

That level of stress could cause a serious health hazard!

That is not always as easy as it sounds. In my experience they require to see your wife (for married extensions) or your wife/partner/house owner (for retirement extensions).

I`m not married to my G/F here in Thailand (tried that in the UK, didn`t work, so no reason to try it here, anyway i can`t own property here so it`s not worth the paper it`s written on, and of no real benefit to my partner as she wouldn`t qualify for any of my private pension when i`m gone because most have a clause regarding age difference, or she would need to wait until she is 45 before receiving anything at best, that`s caught a few out here i imagine, the UK government also stopped new spouses qualifying recently i believe for state pension, but prakhonchai nick could confirm that last point)...i digress, oops.

Anyway, the reason for the reply is that this year and last year i went on my own to get my extension based on retirement, and on both occasions i was not asked to bring along my G/F father, he is the owner of the house that i have a yellow book for..
Also it is a lot easier and less paperwork to do an extension on retirement than that of marriage. my opinion anyway, providing you are over 50 and have the 800k or pension to match....tips excluded of course.

Last edited:
I`m not married to my G/F here in Thailand (tried that in the UK, didn`t work, so no reason to try it here, anyway i can`t own property here so it`s not worth the paper it`s written on, and of no real benefit to my partner as she wouldn`t qualify for any of my private pension when i`m gone because most have a clause regarding age difference, or she would need to wait until she is 45 before receiving anything at best, that`s caught a few out here i imagine, the UK government also stopped new spouses qualifying recently i believe for state pension, but prakhonchai nick could confirm that last point)...i digress, oops.

Confirm Mango that there are now no spouse benefits when claiming UK state pension. Spouses will technically be eligible to claim state pension in their own right from around 68years (but that is likely to change in the coming years)

Private pensions often have built in age difference clauses, but they are usually 2.5% a year reduction for each year more than 10. So unless your wife is 50+years younger there will still be something in the kitty for her.

So in my case (if my trustee is as quoted) my partner if married to me would have a 35% reduction (i`ll let you do the maths ) on her allowance as a spouse on my private pension.....Providing she is accepted onto my scheme, even if i`ve been divorced previously....

Should have got me an oldy.....lol

What about benefits etc when i die, as we know they drop off sharply for widows....?

Now where did she hide that knife ? YEEK

i believe that my private scheme pays 50% after death to the spouse. With 2.5% deductions over 15 years. Net result is 40%.

Not too bad - perhaps we can encourage the girls to pay US sin sot as an inducement to marriage! :eek:

i believe that my private scheme pays 50% after death to the spouse. With 2.5% deductions over 15 years. Net result is 40%.

Not too bad - perhaps we can encourage the girls to pay US sin sot as an inducement to marriage! :eek:

I start out at 66.6% but with 2.5% deductions after 10 years, which leaves my Mrs getting less than 30%.

Best way to boost a widows income (if you are a Brit) is to ensure she always has a young child. The UK Pensions dept pay up to 20,000bt/month for a child under 18!

Contact me if you need any help! :smile: EvilLaugh1

i believe that my private scheme pays 50% after death to the spouse. With 2.5% deductions over 15 years.

My company pension pays 50% to the spouse or nominee of my "expression of wish" after my death. This is reduced by 2.5% per year for all each year over 10 years that she is younger than I.

I think they have been caught out in the distant past.

Y

I start out at 66.6% but with 2.5% deductions after 10 years, which leaves my Mrs getting less than 30%.

Best way to boost a widows income (if you are a Brit) is to ensure she always has a young child. The UK Pensions dept pay up to 20,000bt/month for a child under 18!

Contact me if you need any help! :smile: EvilLaugh1

Would that be with the form filling - you are knocking on a bit now and I am sure that Mrs Prakhonchai Nick's maternal instincts are running high at the moment ! :eek:

I agree

I was there this morning for my 90-day report and annual extension of my visa. They were busy and I sat and waited 30 minutes before being called to the desk. The 'big boss' was going to handle my application. She handled the paperwork quickly and efficiently, issued the 90-day report and placed the 12-month visa extension in the passport in under 15 minutes. She asked for 1,900 baht and I handed over 2,000 baht. She reached into her box and was about to give me 100 baht change when my wife, on my direction, told her to have some tea. Not 'tea money' - just a contribution for some tea.

I was very pleased with the service which was polite, courteous, quick and efficient. Say what you like but that is the way I am treated every time I go there. You do it your way - I'll do it mine.

I have never had a problem with the Immigration people anywhere in Thailand. We arrive with a smile, the correct paperwork, enjoy a laugh and a joke. And dont mind leaving a couple of pounds or so as a tip for good service. In fact at Kap Chong I got such good service that I gave the officer a few pounds extra for saving me a load of hassle. Not asked for, just appreciated and given. And I nearly forgot. We leave smiling too.

JohnB can confirm I am sure but sitting two desks away at the time he was being processed was another gentleman who was having a really hard time with the IO. He had gone there to get an annual extension and was in a heavy argument over his 90-day report which was one month late. In the end he was told to go away and the IO told his wife not to return until she had explained the problem to her husband. The guy was facing a 2000 to 5000 Baht fine for the late report (TM47) and the IO wanted this sorted first before he even looked at the extension of the visa. It was not helped because the guy spoke hardly no English and did not understand what the IO was trying to tell him in very measured words. I know this because I was at the other side of this man waiting my turn in the queue.

He returned after I had obtained my extension and completed my 90-day report and I then learnt the full story because his wife asked my wife for help. In the end I finished up filling in his visa extension form because his English was virtually non-existent and neither himself nor his wife knew how to fill it in. He was from Vienna, Italy. I have no idea if he paid his fine and eventually got his visa extension. The man was poorly prepared, knew nothing of the requirements for doing 90-day reports, and appeared to know even less about how to obtain an extension for his visa. I am not surprised he was having a hard time when I arrived.

The point I am trying to make is that it is encumbent on each and all of us, irrespective of nationality and English / Thai communication skills, to know the legal aspects of staying in Thailand long-term. IMHO, if you come to Immigration properly prepared and with the necessary documentation things tend to go smoothly and quickly. If not, be prepared for long delays to yourself and others waiting in the queue and don't be too surprised if you get the 'bum's rush' and leave Immigration empty handed.

All Nomad reports is true. It was all rather embarrassing. The Immigration Officer remained calm and explained politely he was just trying to avoid even more serious consequences for the chap.

Thanks Nomad for trying your best to help a farang in trouble, though I have to say I was left with the impression he would soon be back up to his neck in it.

All Nomad reports is true. It was all rather embarrassing. The Immigration Officer remained calm and explained politely he was just trying to avoid even more serious consequences for the chap.

Thanks Nomad for trying your best to help a farang in trouble, though I have to say I was left with the impression he would soon be back up to his neck in it.

Another genuine business opportunity for those 'in the know' to help the (many) people who are not in the know.

Back