What is your favourite Thai restaraunt in Surin

They are both good, Mike. Mam says the old one has better taste. I can't tell the difference!
The old one is cosier.

Same full menu in both, John? The old one is only a mere 2 block walk from our townhouse. Same for the Japanese place, Goodview, Monkey Coffee, and a few other decent establishments to grab a bite or a drink in the area.

Mike

Ok. So maybe the question should have been "What is your favourite Thai restaurant in Surin?"

I like the place that sells Somtam and Bbq chicken and such just passed Sydney Season's as you are heading towards Buriram. Great spring rolls too.

Then again that could be construed as an Issan restaurant. Or maybe even an Esarn restaurant.

Quite a broad subject really.

I prefer the spelling ISAAN. Whatever, still a Thai restaurant! Somtan and BBQ chicken not complete without sticky rice and sup normai! :wink:

Not the best but still good is Coca restaurant next to the post office.
http://www.surincoca.com/

Been there at Coca a few times. Had the suckling pig. Was good. Strange menu though with stuff I've never seen in a Thai restaurant before. Supposedly a 'Chinese' restaurant. Plenty of parking out front as it sits back off the road. Right behind the Post Office I think it is. Nice to sit on the front balcony watching the world go by at night. They even have a dumb waiter there. First I've seen here in Surin. Last time I ate there was about 3 or 4 years ago for my birthday.

There's supposed to be another 'Chinese' restaurant in town. I've no idea where it is but was told it was better than this Coca restaurant and the Chinese Thais supposedly frequent it a lot.

Mike

Same full menu in both, John? The old one is only a mere 2 block walk from our townhouse. Same for the Japanese place, Goodview, Monkey Coffee, and a few other decent establishments to grab a bite or a drink in the area.

Mike

Seems to me to be the same menu, Mike. I usually have the BBQed fish (their specialty) which comes with assorted veg/salad and pick up a few bits and pieces from whatever Mam and daughter have ordered.
Another excellent dish here is fish cooked two ways....a whole fish reassembled with one half done with chili and herbs, the other with sweet and sour and cashews.

There's supposed to be another 'Chinese' restaurant in town. I've no idea where it is but was told it was better than this Coca restaurant and the Chinese Thais supposedly frequent it a lot.

Mike

This could well be what I call Betty's....sounds like Be-tee. It is used a lot by Thai Chinese families for birthdays and other group celebrations.

Opposite the road leading into Surin Plaza near TOT, well before the Post Office, there is a mini-arcade of shops. I think there is a booze shop nearest the entrance. From the road you wouldn't know the restaurant was in there. At the inner end of this arcade is the restaurant. No frills but a place for serious eating! Always busy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not been for a while but I used to have some good meals at The Saumpa Resort and Baan Naa, Hauy Senning. The later is especially good for the Fish meals.

This could well be what I call Betty's....sounds like Be-tee. It is used a lot by Thai Chinese families for birthdays and other group celebrations.

Opposite the road leading into Surin Plaza near TOT, well before the Post Office, there is a mini-arcade of shops. I think there is a booze shop nearest the entrance. From the road you wouldn't know the restaurant was in there. At the inner end of this arcade is the restaurant. No frills but a place for serious eating! Always busy.
That is the other one. All of the HiSo rich Thai/ Chinese eat there. They have good spring rolls with hot Chinese mustard. Not easy to find though.

My choices .
Big - Bite - Most prob the best and most consistent food in Surin (not much Abiance)
Suan Par Resort
Green terrace
Petchasame Hotel
The one on the Hua Saning over looking the Res
For real Issan spicy food ,Ampun Res the last place on the left .

My choices .
Big - Bite - Most prob the best and most consistent food in Surin (not much Abiance)
Suan Par Resort
Green terrace
Petchasame Hotel
The one on the Hua Saning over looking the Res
For real Issan spicy food ,Ampun Res the last place on the left .
Great minds think alike. That's the two I mentioned previously.

Ok. So maybe the question should have been "What is your favourite Thai restaurant in Surin?"

I like the place that sells Somtam and Bbq chicken and such just passed Sydney Season's as you are heading towards Buriram. Great spring rolls too.

Then again that could be construed as an Issan restaurant. Or maybe even an Esarn restaurant.

Quite a broad subject really.

Years ago this was a very busy top little place to eat , it was divided into two one Somtam and BBQ / Thai food and the other chef chicken steaks and salads ,it was very popular .(He had worked in Bangkok hotels)
They had some kind of a disagreement and the steak and salad guys left since then it's popularity has dropped big time and does about a 20% of what it used to do .
Also so place is a little on the dirty side and mosquito ridden / shame as it used to be very good :-(

A little off topic BUT there's a great little Thai restaurant in the market area in Prasat ,as you enter the market it's on the right lots of wooden tables there's always a few farangs sat around having a beer , the Nat nar me grob is very nice crispy noodles with chicken and veg ,everything they cook you can see , and its very clean and reasonable priced .
They also sell a couple of Farang dishes , worth a try !

Years ago this was a very busy top little place to eat , it was divided into two one Somtam and BBQ / Thai food and the other chef chicken steaks and salads ,it was very popular .(He had worked in Bangkok hotels)
They had some kind of a disagreement and the steak and salad guys left since then it's popularity has dropped big time and does about a 20% of what it used to do .
Also so place is a little on the dirty side and mosquito ridden / shame as it used to be very good :-(

As most posters mention from time to time restaurants do have good times and bad times. I was in there on 30th July, after a 90 day report in Kap Cheong, and things were fine. Quite a few Thai Government workers.

Agreed it wasn't as packed as it used to be but still a good crowd. That may be down to the fact that there are more restaurants to choose from.

Choice is a good thing for the customer but not so much for the owners. I fear that the way the Thai people get their business ideas; i.e "that restaurant seems to be making some good money, lets open a place exactly the same", will eventually lead to some of them closing down.

There are only so many customers to go round.

As most posters mention from time to time restaurants do have good times and bad times. I was in there on 30th July, after a 90 day report in Kap Cheong, and things were fine. Quite a few Thai Government workers.

Agreed it wasn't as packed as it used to be but still a good crowd. That may be down to the fact that there are more restaurants to choose from.

Choice is a good thing for the customer but not so much for the owners. I fear that the way the Thai people get their business ideas; i.e "that restaurant seems to be making some good money, lets open a place exactly the same", will eventually lead to some of them closing down.

There are only so many customers to go round.

Slightly off topic but monkey see, monkey do is not the greatest of business models.

I do, though, see an evolution with restaurants and a number have been able to improve the standard. The weak (offering poorest quality/service etc) are less likely to survive.

Agreed CoCo. That leads to my next theory on Thai marketing. Complacency. I have seen it many times. A restaurant becomes one of the best. It is busy every night and the owners thinl they have it made. Then they start to relax and cut corners.

Back