Where is McDonalds going?

gotlost

Kap Chong R Us Member
12105727_980924851929174_3393869442481268416_n.jpg

12139984_980924861929173_5769652629429005987_o.jpg

Reactions: Pat
How's the old Robinson thing coming along? Haven't been there for well over a year myself? Does that Starbucks have much custom?

Starbucks has not been too busy from what I have seen when wandering by. I understand that 2 new restaurants are going to be built right where the 3 people are standing in the top photo. The whole area is to be enclosed and air conditioned and Starbucks may see more business when that is completed later this year.

Will be interesting how they will solve this engineering conundrum. Enclosing that area and incorporating the existing structures will be quit a challenge.
As was a Portico on Global House. I hope it does not become a gone with the wind saga.

It's not the prices that stops me drinking coffee in Starbucks, although that is a consideration, its the calories per drink that puts me off. I have read elsewhere that one of their loaded drinks pack more calories than my midday meal. If I need a drink in Robinson's I usually have a pot of black tea in Black Canyon, one of the Twinnings variety - not too many calories in that. :)

It's not the prices that stops me drinking coffee in Starbucks, although that is a consideration, its the calories per drink that puts me off. I have read elsewhere that one of their loaded drinks pack more calories than my midday meal. If I need a drink in Robinson's I usually have a pot of black tea in Black Canyon, one of the Twinnings variety - not too many calories in that. :)

The last time I had used STARTWATS was March 2013 in NYC. It was colder that a witches tit and I had to take a piss and get warm. I refuse to use them and when I'm at Lobinson never see anyone using it.

Last edited:
I never see more than 2 or 3 tables occupied at Starbucks and I am surprised there are so many with the prices they charge.

Although, it is a PRIME spot to do some girl watching over your Bangkok Post and an Americano coffee with a Spinach croissant. Some really nice totty coming in there in the mornings to have a gander over. ;)

I've spent some time in there a few times. Seems to have a decent amount of customers when I was in there. In and out. Lots of Thai yuppie types and wanna be seen hi so types. Some cute girls and trendy boys from what I've seen. And the middle so types. And me. 5555

It was explained to me many moons ago how theses expensive establishments operate in Thailand. It is by the huge numbers involved in the clientele base.
One person saves enough for one coffee once every few weeks. It is not on multiple repeat visits. I was told this from a Starbucks owner in Bangkok.

I have never bothered to go to a Starbucks. Is it a nice, warm feeling?

Starbucks has not been too busy from what I have seen when wandering by. I understand that 2 new restaurants are going to be built right where the 3 people are standing in the top photo. The whole area is to be enclosed and air conditioned and Starbucks may see more business when that is completed later this year.
Went in there once and nearly froze to death pal , air con must br set on about 10 ..

I love Starbucks and there are no calories in black coffee so I'm fine. Black Canyon and Amazon are inferior to Starbucks. Love the Robinson location.

Quite right, at least it's real Coffee.

The Robinson branch is one of the nicest I have been to. Far better looking than most that I have been to in Bangkok. It is seldom very crowded. Weekend mornings are the busiest. I hope whatever restaurants replace the maze of shops are successful and draw some people out there. The original concept of small boutiques was a bad idea, should have that stuff in the air conditioned mall. Tops does provide a strong enough anchor and since they opened they have gone steadily downhill. Hopefully the new restaurants will be a shot in the arm.

The Robinson branch is one of the nicest I have been to. Far better looking than most that I have been to in Bangkok. It is seldom very crowded. Weekend mornings are the busiest. I hope whatever restaurants replace the maze of shops are successful and draw some people out there. The original concept of small boutiques was a bad idea, should have that stuff in the air conditioned mall. Tops does provide a strong enough anchor and since they opened they have gone steadily downhill. Hopefully the new restaurants will be a shot in the arm.

I agree. I have found the restaurants in Robinson pretty dissapointing for the most part. It's been a year or so since I last ate in there, they were all swarming in flies at one point.

Marketing question: How often and how much does Mr Farang spend dining out in Surin monthly ?
I firmly believe the Robinson concept is 98 1/2% marketed to Thais.

When they first initiated and opened almost two years ago in December 2013 did you ever gather that this retail project was ever going to be successful ?

The farang food or clientele is not a staple for any store or restaurant unless the Thai clientele support it.
This is about the consumer class spending dynamic of Thailand.
It's the function of the Thai-centered economic variable that Robinson requires and it is that factor predominantly that will either make this commercial centre viable or unsustainable.

I think the Central Group did their homework optimistically prior to expanding in Isaan and took the hedged bet without knowing exactly which economic storms would come to harbour in the future ...(IMO).

Back