Wise - UK to Thailand Money Transfers (formerly Transferwise)

Not relevant to Wanderer's situation...... you do money in the bank - I believe he is talking about the monthly income method.

There is no limit to the amount you can withdraw.

There are limits on the amount you must maintain in the bank.

Semantics. :mask:

And ensure that they are both dated the same, i.e. withdraw a few bob from the account before asking the bank to provide the letter. And also check that the sums are exactly the same. I know someone who had to return to the bank to obtain a new letter because the bank had transposed two of the digits.

Again, not relevant for the bank book if using the income method.

I do the 65,000+ monthly transfer method. For as long as I can remember, S.I. has always asked to see my bank book each time I seek an extension to remain a further year. Last time around, December 2020, they also asked to see the letter from the bank, something they had not asked to see previously. My advice to @Wanderer, have both an up-to-date bank book and a letter to confirm your balance on the account.

My bank book tells Immigration nothing.

My bank statements tell Immigration everything.

Except that it's far easier to forge a bank statement than it is to forge an original passbook.
Not when it signed and stamped by the bank.

My bank book......... absolutely meaningless.

Attachments

• received_423232642306324.jpeg
    received_423232642306324.jpeg
    75.2 KB · Views: 9
Not when it signed and stamped by the bank.

My bank book......... absolutely meaningless.
Before I printed my own statements, the only signature on the one obtained from the bank was a photocopied, or printed signature of a bank official. And no stamp either.

Understandable. The ID number that is given to Thais never changes and remains with them for life.
That is the way it should be, but bureaucrats don't want that = to simple, better to create obfuse ways = creating jobs for them ...

Before I printed my own statements, the only signature on the one obtained from the bank was a photocopied, or printed signature of a bank official. And no stamp either.

As said, ................frequently,.... each Immigration office will have slightly different requirements etc, etc

I haven't transferred any monies from my IoM bank for over 3 years. Currently I don't need to but I'm hovering around the ฿43.00 exchange rate as the trigger.

Am I being optimistic?

I currently receive 0% interest in the IoM and could receive 0.25% to 0.40% here in Thailand. I appreciate that all of it is bugger all.

I haven't transferred any monies from my IoM bank for over 3 years. Currently I don't need to but I'm hovering around the ฿43.00 exchange rate as the trigger.

Am I being optimistic?

I currently receive 0% interest in the IoM and could receive 0.25% to 0.40% here in Thailand. I appreciate that all of it is bugger all.
Wait for 45!

Am I being optimistic?

Its gone up by over 2.5bt in the last 3 months. I wouldn't be too quick to jump. Soon be Christmas :laughing: :laughing:

TRICKS

If making a transfer from the UK to Thailand, rather than access your UK bank to transfer payment for the transfer when requested, make the payment first to your Transferwise (WISE) account then request the transfer. Not only do you get a slightly better net rate, but he transfer is usually immediate, rather than later, and the next day if making the transfer on a Sunday

The current 4 day guaranteed GBP/THB rate of above 43bt NET may be worth both considering and locking in (if funds are available) Nothing to pay until 2pm next Tuesday 6th April, and can cancel or will cancel automatically if no payment made..

Much could happen in the world during the next 4 days. The US/Europe could intervene in Burma and China and Russia could retaliate. North Korea could do something stupid. A King/Queen/President or similar could die or be assassinated. Any of these events or others would have a serious knock-on effect with the exchange rates

My thinking cap is on, and will be aided over the next couple of evenings with either G&T's or Jamesons :yum:

Back