Restaurants to open at Robinsion.

You are so right Surin. I told him earlier on in this thread that it was Robinson (R O B I N S O N) but GL does not want to know. For some reason he insists on calling it Robinsion. It even comes up with a wavy red line under Robinsion when you type the wrong spelling for Robinson!

But we still love him!

You are so right Surin. I told him earlier on in this thread that it was Robinson (R O B I N S O N) but GL does not want to know. For some reason he insists on calling it Robinsion. It even comes up with a wavy red line under Robinsion when you type the wrong spelling for Robinson!

He had to turn off his spellchecker..was taking up too much of his time ThumbUp6

Robinsion (Robin-shun)

He is only writing it the way it is pronounced in Thailand...Robin-shun (Robinsion).:cool:

The problem is that these companies do not usually take into consideration the farangs living in the provinces. Bangkok and Pattaya and Phuket, even Chiang Mai... yeah. But Surin? No. It's being built for the Thais here, not us, and they see what the Thais want and take no, or very little, notice of the farangs that populate these Isaan areas. If they did they would be including a Sizzler's, and a McD's or Burger King. They would possibly even consider one theater of movies in English, even just on the weekends/evenings one day a week. Another problem is we farang are hot to whine and whinge on a local forum, but seemingly loathe to band together, sign some petitions, write to the CEO of Robinson's, expressing our disappointment in not being taken into consideration when these plans are made, and we do not show our combined spending power to those that could possibly make some positive additions for our farang community in and surrounding Surin. We just complain, but nothing is done, there's no solidarity, and we take what we are fed from these national and multi-national businesses.

I'd love to be able to see an English language movie here once or twice a month. I'd definitely use a Burger King, Popeye's, McD's once in a while, Sizzler's too. Would be great if they did a delivery system like they have in Bangkok as well (might be something of a business venture there). There's at least 3 of the delivery companies I know of in Bangkok. A small one here within the city limits with appropriate hours of service would do okay I feel, with expanded hours on the weekends.

JMHO on it.

Mike

Just been reading your post again Mike...we should have raised concerns with the Developer in the early planning stage...success for Top's Supermarket will depend on Falang buying power and a threat to boycott may have fallen on deaf ears..but a protest all the same. "Give us a McDonald's/Sizzler or shove your centre"..we'll only buy at TopTee's and use your airconditioning!

Surin expat discretionary purchasing power ?

Just been reading your post again Mike...we should have raised concerns with the Developer in the early planning stage...success for Top's Supermarket will depend on Falang buying power and a threat to boycott may have fallen on deaf ears..but a protest all the same. "Give us a McDonald's/Sizzler or shove your centre"..we'll only buy at TopTee's and use your airconditioning!

Do you think the Makro and Big C chains survive on the discretionary purchasing power of expats ?
Obviously, the expat restaurants predominantly survive on the discretionary purchasing power of expats.

I believe the Central World developers couldn't give a flying f**k as to what expats in Surin want. They really do not give two satang as to the whims and wishes based on our purported consumer 'purchasing power'.

They could or may have well conducted a consumer-based study based on how many Lexus and Mercedes are registered to households in Surin and adjusted their barometer accordingly.

The fact that they have so many western-style fast-food franchise establishments would be deemed a fairly decent selection for fattening the asses of young Thai lasses while maintaining overweight expats. I would deem Tops Market an added bonus.

Just don't try to be Thai and cut in the queue to place your order as it may put expats in a continuing bad light by Thai consumers :rolleyes:

Again JIMHO.

Do you think the Makro and Big C chains survive on the discretionary purchasing power of expats ?
Obviously, the expat restaurants predominantly survive on the discretionary purchasing power of expats.

I believe the Central World developers couldn't give a flying f**k as to what expats in Surin want. They really do not give two satang as to the whims and wishes based on our purported consumer 'purchasing power'.

They could or may have well conducted a consumer-based study based on how many Lexus and Mercedes are registered to households in Surin and adjusted their barometer accordingly.

The fact that they have so many western-style fast-food franchise establishments would be deemed a fairly decent selection for fattening the asses of young Thai lasses while maintaining overweight expats. I would deem Tops Market an added bonus.

Just don't try to be Thai and cut in the queue to place your order as it may put expats in a continuing bad light by Thai consumers :rolleyes:

Again JIMHO.

No I don't think we'd make an iota of difference to Makro and Big C...but I often go to Tops and the only people I see shopping there are Falangs..Can't imagine a Thai here in Surin will visit Tops Supermarket for any reason at all. Was in Tops Ubon day before yesterday.

You are quite right - the supermarkets in town do not give a flying whatsit about what us farangs would or would not like to be stocked on the shelves. As an example, at the beginning of the year I was speaking to the manager of Tesco Lotus (Surin) and asked him what had happened to the Tesco own brand tea bags (89 Baht for 40 in a red box). IMO these were the only worthwhile tea bags on offer in any of the supermarkets in town. I even took him an old box of the same tea bags and he promised quite seriously to take up the matter and restock. It never happened. Instead, he cornered me a couple of months later and produced Winings Breakfast Tea (decaffeinated) at something like 325 baht/box of 25. I said you must be joking, who in their right mind wants to pay that kind of money for decaffeinated tea? They now have Winings Breakfast Tea (non-decaffeinated) also quite expensive. I have had to resort to flying in my favorite tea from the UK - Tesco's own brand - Captain's Scott Original Antarctic Strong Brew.

Thank you Surin, "we'll only buy at TopTee's and use your air conditioning!"

You will be very welcome to use our air conditioning - we may even tempt you to browse and buy a tee shirt or two!

View attachment 7764
pencil.png

I can't argue with the logic there, Nomad

You are quite right - the supermarkets in town do not give a flying whatsit about what us farangs would or would not like to be stocked on the shelves. As an example, at the beginning of the year I was speaking to the manager of Tesco Lotus (Surin) and asked him what had happened to the Tesco own brand tea bags (89 Baht for 40 in a red box). IMO these were the only worthwhile tea bags on offer in any of the supermarkets in town. I even took him an old box of the same tea bags and he promised quite seriously to take up the matter and restock. It never happened. Instead, he cornered me a couple of months later and produced Winings Breakfast Tea (decaffeinated) at something like 325 baht/box of 25. I said you must be joking, who in their right mind wants to pay that kind of money for decaffeinated tea? They now have Winings Breakfast Tea (non-decaffeinated) also quite expensive. I have had to resort to flying in my favorite tea from the UK - Tesco's own brand - Captain's Scott Original Antarctic Strong Brew.

C'mon Nomad, put yourself in the store managers or commodity buyers shoes.
Even if you purchase 1 box per week...does it make sense for Tesco-Surin to keep this item bar-coded on the shelf for thou...even if they carry in another location ?

Bow5Respectfully he did offer you something towards the 'British palate' and remembered you ! See if you can find that customer service elsewhere in Surin.

For price why not give that Lipton Yellow Label Tea a shot ? (100 sachets for approx 172 ;-)...you can always use two sachets for strength ! Less expensive than the Tesco brand too ;-))
Probably a lot less expensive than you flying in Captain's Scott Original from UK.

jai khoa jai...

Sorry Coffee...you just don't understand about an Englishman and his tea!...never can, never will!

Thanks John.
When I see what swill the English will drink and call it wine and beer - for the likes of me I can not understand a slight change while living in Thai.

As American's drank piss for so many years I do understand how they drink swill while in Thai.
Micro-brewing and craft-beers have definitely notched some American cities upward over the past ten years.

And yes - I do understand why Nomad would rather fly in strong brew than opt for two sachets of Lipton Yellow Label. I personally enjoyed "Earl Grey" (bergamont) teas for years.

My thanks to Coffee and JohnB. I did not tell the full story. Prior to this year Tesco Lotus Surin did stock their own brand tea bags, in a red box, for 89 baht/40 bags. And a very nice cup of tea it was too. It was so popular that they usually ran out of stock and one had to find out when the next delivery truck was due in order to get in quick when the shelves were restocked. That is why I do not understand the decision to discontinue a popular line. And by the way Coffee, I have drunk Lipton tea in those little yellow paper sachets for more years than I care to remember. It was the only tea that they sold in Saudi Arabia and it was the only tea that was served many times a day in my work and social environment. We used to drink it black (I use the term as meaning without milk, not the colour of the tea) and with sugar. I am very surprised I still have all my teeth after nearly 20 years of Lipton black tea and sugar abuse.

And JohnB is quite right, an American will never understand the British and their love for a very good cup of tea. Its got to be steaming, with water straight from the boiling kettle to infuse the tea leaves, left to stand for a few minutes to tease out all the flavours and drunk while its still hot enough to scold the lips and throat. Moreover, its got to be strong tasting and definitely not Lipton's. You could put 20 Lipton's tea bags in a cup and still not get the right strength or flavour!

Last edited:
JohnB, you are most welcome to come and sample a cuppa 'chez nous'. And the offer is extended to Coffee too. You are both welcome to sample the delights of a cup of Captain Scott's Original Strong Brew Tea - the same recipe as supplied to the ill-fated expedition to the South Pole some 100 years ago.

ThumbUp6

"Great Scott !"

JohnB, you are most welcome to come and sample a cuppa 'chez nous'. And the offer is extended to Coffee too. You are both welcome to sample the delights of a cup of Captain Scott's Original Strong Brew Tea - the same recipe as supplied to the ill-fated expedition to the South Pole some 100 years ago.

ThumbUp6
"Great Scott", Nomad ! And a wonderful and noble tea that must be to boot !
Your offer of invitation extended is greatly appreciated and remains held firm against my breast of friendship. Thank you, my dear gentleman Nomad.

John, you are absolutely correct. Agree with you 100%

Thanks, Mr Bear. Of course there are many things about you Americans that baffle us Brits too!

One of them is the overwhelming importance attached to having certain burger outlets in the new Robinsion's (sorry Nomad, couldn't resist). I wouldn't mind not having another burger of any kind for the rest of my life...in fact, I am unlikely to!

Now how about a Captain Scott's Tea Room at Robinsion's? Now we're talking!

These national differences and characteristics are great fun and make life more interesting in a mixed community like ours here in the Surin area. IMHO

Thanks, Mr Bear. Of course there are many things about you Americans that baffle us Brits too!

One of them is the overwhelming importance attached to having certain burger outlets in the new Robinsion's (sorry Nomad, couldn't resist). I wouldn't mind not having another burger of any kind for the rest of my life...in fact, I am unlikely to!

These national differences and characteristics are great fun and make life more interesting in a mixed community like ours here in the Surin area. IMHO

...and whom would call the cattle black, Teacher ? Oops5 I know you were writing in jest ;-))
But please don't get that spelling into the mix again...please.

I heartily concur with your last sentence !//flagHug1

How about one of theses John. I would give it ago..http://poppiesfishandchips.co.uk/

Back