Covid19 in Surin [report from Government Hospital]

Coffee

You chose a custom title
As of reporting-time Tuesday 17 March 2020 16:00 there were no verified reported cases of Covid19 in Surin Province.

(Please remember that this figure is subject to change.)

My initial four unanswered questions are:
1) do hospitals (not neccesarily clinics) have Covid19 swab test kits available ?
2) where will the testing by a laboratory be carried out ?
3) what is the turn-around time for reporting within the lab ?
4) how many people have been tested under the Provincial Health Dept's reporting scheme ?

As per personal report from the new Surin Govt hospital building at 08:00 this morning no hospital personnel were taking temperature readings upon entry to or outside prior to main first floor entrance.
There was disinfectant gel available.
There were also signs that directed anyone who suspects they have a respiratory issue, high fever or coughing to report to the nurses station prior to meeting with a physician.

Note: With an up-to-14-day incubation period taking forehead temperature may not/ can not weed out all potential cases, future cases and/ or virus carriers.

So yesterday's status still remains at zero Covid19 patients for Surin.

If travel is not contained from other provinces or countries that are reporting cases then this figure will undoubtedly increase exponentially.

Teach your families how to properly wash their hands, how to social distance, how to cover coughs and sneezes :mask: along with other safe practices.

Last edited:
I think your first question is very pertinent. Does Surin have Covid19 test kits available? Perhaps more to the point, are they testing anyone/everyone reporting with cough / high temperature and fever? It has been said of the UK's reported figures that they represent the tip of the iceberg, the majority of people who may have the virus have yet to be tested. I fear that may well be the case with Thailand too, not many potential corona victims have been tested and, therefore, the reported figures may be artificially low.

Covid19 may not yet have been reported in Surin, but my wife tells me the shelves in the supermarkets are already showing signs of panic buying.

Covid19 may not yet have been reported in Surin, but my wife tells me the shelves in the supermarkets are already showing signs of panic buying.

My wife was in Big 'C' this morning and didn't notice any obvious evidence of panic buying. What were the products that your wife spotted that were being depleted from the shelves?

Shelves were full at both Topps and at Big C last night between 6.30pm and 9.00pm, except that at Big C, they were stripping out the bottom shelf in the cooler section to access and then jetwash the drainage channel and surrounding panelling. Not a nice sight, but it was probably a normal cleaning operation rather than a virus-linked task.

My wife was in Big 'C' this morning and didn't notice any obvious evidence of panic buying. What were the products that your wife spotted that were being depleted from the shelves?

She bought 5 kg bags of rice for ฿ 75.00 which were advertised as half price. Not an indication of panic buying normally.

Shelves were full at both Topps and at Big C last night between 6.30pm and 9.00pm.............

Do you seriously spend 2½ hours shopping in one day?

I may have spent 2½ total hours shopping in the last 2 months!

No Yorky. I was trying to fulfill two separate shopping lists: one for my own family, and the other for two friends returning late tonight to Surin from an extended stay in the UK via Bkk. Incidentally, they phoned a few minutes ago from Suvarnabhumi as their taxi arrived to collect them, and where they had been delayed by 90 minutes. More info on that later perhaps.

No Yorky. I was trying to fulfill two separate shopping lists: one for my own family, and the other for two friends returning late tonight to Surin from an extended stay in the UK via Bkk. Incidentally, they phoned a few minutes ago from Suvarnabhumi as their taxi arrived to collect them, and where they had been delayed by 90 minutes. More info on that later perhaps.

Are they being told to voluntarily quarantine themselves?

Charlie is arriving back from Jockland on Friday and I believe that he's expecting that.

Are they being told to voluntarily quarantine themselves?

Charlie is arriving back from Jockland on Friday and I believe that he's expecting that.

Assuming they don’t do an EU, and ban him from coming in,I suspect nothing will happen unless he is showing symptoms of COVID-19.

When I returned there was a TM8 form to complete (online in my case) - that may o4 may not be happening.

My wife is a serious shopper and she was reporting people with very full shopping carts. Big C is limiting how many bottles of cooking oil (6) and how many bags of sugar (3) an individual may buy. She was reporting a lack of tins on the shelves too. She went shopping this afternoon. I am not getting into specifics, it is only a generalisation.

P.S. I am already on lockdown so I would not know. Besides, snooker starts in 10 mins. Coverage of day two from Venue Cymru in Llandudno, featuring the conclusion of two quarter-finals, played over the best of 17 frames.

Little point in the Thais stockpiling - they rarely cook !

A rice cooker, bit of stir fry veg with everything else brought in from the market.....

No signs of panic buying in Makro Buriram this morning. All the main panic items -rice, pasta. Mama. tinned fish and tissue in abundance.

I went to Nang Rong today and I took a short cut that I normally take that avoids the Buri Ram ring road. But on my travels I did see a medical road block incomming to Surin about 1 K further out then the MG shop. Police and dubious soles wearing white coats waving around which looked like those IR sensor guns. On my return in the late afternoon, all were gone besides the usual suspects that like to man those road side tents. It is so lucky the virus does not travel out of public service work hours. :oops:
I did some shopping in Nang Rong, all the smaller shops were brimming with goods. Even Bog roll.

I did a shop yesterday at the 2 big supermarkets here in Oz, no bog roll, pasta or RICE! The wife is getting a little worried about the rice situation and has sent out a distress call to her Thai network of friends. Seems people are panic buying still. I'm expecting schools to shut soon here.

upload_2020-3-19_12-23-36.png

ไกรสร กองฉลาด
2 hrs ·

สุรินทร์เตรียมยกระดับมาตรการคุมเข้มCovid-19
วันนี้วันที่ 19 มีนาคม 2563 จังหวัดสุรินทร์ยังไม่มีผู้ป่วยติดเชื้อ Covid-19 นะครับ น้องนักมวยที่ไปชกที่กรุงเทพที่ป่วย ผลแล็ปออกมาไม่พบเชื้อCovid -19 ครับ อย่างไรก็ตามมีคนสุรินทร์เราไปชมการชกมวยที่เวทีลุมพินีด้วย สำนักงานสาธารณสุขจังหวัดได้ส่งเจ้าหน้าที่ประกบ จับกักตัวเฝ้าดูอาการทุกรายแล้วครับ ขออย่าได้ตื่นตระหนกและในช่วงบ่ายวันนี้ จังหวัดจะได้ประชุมคณะกรรมการควบคุมโรคติดต่อจังหวัดสุรินทร์ ขอความเห็นชอบในมาตรการสำคัญหลัก ๆ สองเรื่องคือ
1.การสั่งปิดสถานบริการ ร้านเกมส์ ฯลฯ สถานประกอบการที่คนไปชุมนุมกันจำนวนมาก เป็นการชั่วคราว
2.การระงับการเดินทางเข้า-ออก ด่านชายแดนช่องจอม และช่องผ่านแดนธรรมชาติ ทั้ง 37 จุดของชายแดนจังหวัดสุรินทร์ - กัมพูชา เป็นการชั่วคราว
ก็จะได้รายงานความคืบหน้ามาเพื่อทราบต่อไปครับ เพราะเรื่องบางอย่างมันต้องหารือระเบียบ กฎหมาย หารือขอความเห็นฝ่ายความมั่นคง ตลอดจนพิจารณาผลกระทบด้านเศรษฐกิจภาพรวมของจังหวัดด้วย ทำให้อาจไม่ทันใจพี่น้องประชาชนคนสุรินทร์ ต้องขออภัยด้วยครับ #SaveSurin

Surin prepares to raise the dark control measures Covid-19

Today, March 19, 2563 Surin province has no patients infected covid-19, the boxer who went to fight in Bangkok who was sick. The lab results came out. Covid-19 however, there are surin people. We went to watch boxing at lumpini stage. The Provincial public health office has sent officers to arrest all symptoms. Please don't panic. and this afternoon, the province will have a meeting the communicable control board of surin province. Asking for approval for two major measures:

1. Closing locations, games, etc. Many places where many people go to gather.

2. Suspension of entrance - border checkpoint, chom and channel through the 37 natural lands of surin-Cambodia border.

We will continue to report progress. Because some things need to discuss the law. Ask for security comments and consider economic impact. The Provincial Overview May not be instant. The people's brothers and sisters. We apologize. Yes. #Savesurin

Back