Big C food not so fresh !

Should the meats you buy not be hygenically 'hung' for a time???? and i do not mean on a stall in sunlight with flies all over them??????

Maybe thats a question for Ravi (SANGKA) to answer???

Last edited by a moderator:
Should the meats you buy not be hygenically 'hung' for a time???? and i do not mean on a stall in sunlight with flies all over them??????

Maybe thats a question for Ravi to answer???

Thats a good point mate ,also would you like them to have been killed with a bolt gun in the head or chased around the farm and hacked to death with a hatchet squealing ?

I do use the fresh market in Surin though ,I got some nice looking chickens Gia -Pan not Gia -Barn ,(I was told ) ! But god they were tough ,I found out latter they were X Egg layers that had stopped laying ... Tough and Dry as a nun,s cr**ch Cry3....:smile:

There's not much market for any milk products here, so for cream and cheese you'll generally need to go to Big C, Tesco, or Macro.

Big C isn't perfect but it's still way above the rest. I would turn vegetarian before I would eat the meat from a local market or butcher.

I get Anchor Whipping cream from Marcro its very nice :smile:
On cake and cereal and we make trifle .Jelly - banana Custard,made with milk and cream - and whipped Cream with hundreds and thousands ---yum yum .
Also in Cheese sauce ,carbonara sauce ,any white sauce .

Not good if your on a diet :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I vote for Macro after 1 year here , they have given me Liptons Tea (yes im Swedish) , white bread , ARO cheddar 2,27kg for 700thb , Blue Cheese for around 100thb and Heinze Ketchup huge pack for less then 100thb.
Only problem with Macro in Surin is they dont stock their stuff enough , some time tea , some time cheese and some time nothing so now im out of cheese but i own 3 pack of 100 pcs. of Lipton. Cry3.

Now some one say Macro in Buriram is better .. does that mean they always have "farang stuff" or is it the same as in Surin?!
I do have about 90km to Buriram from here one way. Think1

The supermarket at Petchkasem has been smartened up a litle in recent times and has good prices on some items. Worth a browse if you had forgotten it existed.

The supermarket at Petchkasem has been smartened up a litle in recent times and has good prices on some items. Worth a browse if you had forgotten it existed.

AB .. i never KNEW it existed :tongue: but i have many things to learn around here i gues! haha

Surin plaza mate?

Didn't know the was one at the other place

I vote for Macro after 1 year here , they have given me Liptons Tea (yes im Swedish) , white bread , ARO cheddar 2,27kg for 700thb , Blue Cheese for around 100thb and Heinze Ketchup huge pack for less then 100thb.
Only problem with Macro in Surin is they dont stock their stuff enough , some time tea , some time cheese and some time nothing so now im out of cheese but i own 3 pack of 100 pcs. of Lipton. Cry3.

Now some one say Macro in Buriram is better .. does that mean they always have "farang stuff" or is it the same as in Surin?!
I do have about 90km to Buriram from here one way. Think1

They tend to look after there food better and have more stock in Buriram , Surin have not got a clue about looking after there freezers food not wrapped , not frozen soft and smelly . But yes I agree it's the best good veg choice and the fresh meat is ok most times . They just need to educate there staff !

They just need to educate there staff !

As they need to do in many diffrent stores .. i use to think: How can this girl tell me this "farang toilet" is a good choise when she never used one?
How can this guy tell this cooking hub from Germany is better when he probably live at his mums place where they cook with plastic foam and charcoal?

Anyway , thanx for info. :smile:

As they need to do in many diffrent stores .. i use to think: How can this girl tell me this "farang toilet" is a good choise when she never used one?
How can this guy tell this cooking hub from Germany is better when he probably live at his mums place where they cook with plastic foam and charcoal?

Anyway , thanx for info. :smile:

I do understand though ,when I first came here there was no Macro \Big-C\Tesco.
All they had was May,s in Surin they had a few bits and pieces .The Mays Big store is still good for bulk and good prices , It will take time BUT Surin does seem to be a bit slower at catching on !

Last edited:
You should see the plans for the Central Mall, Ubon thats being build now. Swimming park, loads of shops restaurants inc MacD's. Its going to be huge and only a fairly short ride for me! 555

Surin plaza mate?

Didn't know the was one at the other place

There has always been a supermarket in the rear of Petchkasem, but, like most of the shopping in the building, it became very run down. Recently, it has been tidied up and is no too bad for some packaged goods. There is direct entry/exit from the car park at the rear. And, no, I am not talking about Tesco Lotus at Surin Plaza, Lukey.

There has always been a supermarket in the rear of Petchkasem, but, like most of the shopping in the building, it became very run down. Recently, it has been tidied up and is no too bad for some packaged goods. There is direct entry/exit from the car park at the rear. And, no, I am not talking about Tesco Lotus at Surin Plaza, Lukey.

Lukey,

It's in the building by the Petchkasem Hotel. Ground floor. The building where Patrick had his coffee shop. There's a small mall there with a grocery store in the back. Been there forever. They have some farang products ... canned goods and dry goods mainly. Go there sometimes when the dopes at Makro or BigC have forgot to order their stock and have run out. Have seen scarce items there when they weren't to be had anywhere else. Same for May's Supermarket as well. I used these places way before they ever opened the Makro, BigC and Tesco stores here. Also used to use the bakery in the night market soi years ago to get my French bread sticks. These were the original 'farang food' places a decade ago or more. They didn't have much back then, but what they did have was a godsend at the time. :)

I've not been to the Tesco by Surin Plaza yet. May's supermarket is by the BKK Bank next to the Post Office where the soi circle is.

Mike

Last edited:
And the mays big supermarket is near to the defunct swimming complex.

Lukey,

It's in the building by the Petchkasem Hotel. Ground floor. The building where Patrick had his coffee shop. There's a small mall there with a grocery store in the back. Been there forever. They have some farang products ... canned goods and dry goods mainly. Go there sometimes when the dopes at Makro or BigC have forgot to order their stock and have run out. Have seen scarce items there when they weren't to be had anywhere else. Same for May's Supermarket as well. I used these places way before they ever opened the Makro, BigC and Tesco stores here. Also used to use the bakery in the night market soi years ago to get my French bread sticks. These were the original 'farang food' places a decade ago or more. They didn't have much back then, but what they did have was a godsend at the time. :)

I've not been to the Tesco by Surin Plaza yet. May's supermarket is by the BKK Bank next to the Post Office where the soi circle is.

Mike

Do they do any cheeses mate? Can never get that vintage stuff in Big C anymore.

Do they do any cheeses mate? Can never get that vintage stuff in Big C anymore.

might be too far for some, but its always available in both BigC and Tesco in Ubon and Sisaket. Take a daytrip and stock up LOL!

Back