electric bill

whoppr78

Not sure the right area to post . I got a electric bill for 5079 thb which is about double what I ever had before. Granted I used air conditioner almost every night and in the day too but never paid more than 3000 ever.It was the hottest month I've ever experienced but not sure it cause $ to go up so drastically. Anyone else have unusually high electric bill?

Our bill was the highest ever, Whopper., some 3600.
We have 3 AC units which, for the last month, have been on quite a lot. I have a wife and a step-daughter who, when they shower, like to do so for at least 25 minutes. My 2 year old grandson is also quite energy demanding.
I expected a large bill this month and got it!

Our bill was the highest ever, Whopper., some 3600.
We have 3 AC units which, for the last month, have been on quite a lot. I have a wife and a step-daughter who, when they shower, like to do so for at least 25 minutes. My 2 year old grandson is also quite energy demanding.
I expected a large bill this month and got it!

Cheapskate! Mine was the highest it has ever been - 6,500 baht, some 30% higher than usual. The previous month was just over 6,000 baht. In mitigation for these two bills I will say that this has been the hottest time that I can remember in Thailand in the past 13 years and also the longest. It has also been the school holidays and the girls are home all day long. We have used the air conditioning quite extensively the past couple of months but at least we have been comfortable.

Cheapskate! Mine was the highest it has ever been - 6,500 baht, some 30% higher than usual. The previous month was just over 6,000 baht. In mitigation for these two bills I will say that this has been the hottest time that I can remember in Thailand in the past 13 years and also the longest. It has also been the school holidays and the girls are home all day long. We have used the air conditioning quite extensively the past couple of months but at least we have been comfortable.

I am expecting my bill to arrrive today, and also expecting to top yours Nomad....unfortunately.

Got mine on Friday. 2800bht. This month has been a bit of an experiment, I've had the new aircon on a lot even when I didn't really need it.

Tadcaster not far from you Yorky. I did say last month was an experiment. Ha

Last edited:
That is subsidised, "You lucky *******". :eek:
True. We only pay 12cents per kwh and being prime build up and wet season, the 4 air cons run 24/7.
As we stayed in Aus over this period I suppose no surprises really.

I just paid mine on the 24th.....1417 compared with 1030 last month. Air-con in the bedroom before we go to sleep is the culprit......but I'm sure my wallet can cope with the few extra 100 baht or so in the warmer months :)

An advice about saving electric energy: Clean your aircon, in room and outside, once a year. Best you order a company. It cost you about 400 baht per aircon. If the aircon is dirty, it needs too much electric, ´cause it needs too long, to cool down.

That is good advice Franz!

It's always been my policy to clean the filters around once/month in the hot season and have the unit(s) serviced and cleaned toward the end of each wet season. We probably only use aircon for 4 months of the year and then only for around 1 - 2 hours at a time.

We use our aircons slightly more than Yorky, about 18 hours per day one way or another. I always clean the filters once a month. The complete units are cleaned by our professional aircon man with a high pressure water wash rig at least once a year. This is usually scheduled towards the end of February and before the start of the hot season.

I have been reluctant to use the aircon much since coming to live in Thailand, partially to save money but mainly because I wished to get acclimatised to the ambient twmperatures. When I lived/worked in KL, I suffered from sniffles/colds regularly as a result of being in and out of airconditioned offices/houses (without adding and removing clothes).

Back